On April 27th, 2013 in Videos

Despite being 18 months old, there are still plenty of Battlefield 3 players out there. And those gamers who have played the game all that time until now have established their own, personal play style. Some like lone-wolfing it and focusing on kills, some are more team-oriented, while others love the safety of armored vehicles.

As the video above asks; what makes a truly great Battlefield 3 player? His K/D ratio? His W/L ratio? His teamwork? What do you think makes a great Battlefield 4 player? Let us know in the comments section!

1. Gabriele - Snake17x
    April 27th, 2013 at 7:28 am

A good Battlefield player isn’t the player that want only to kill others players, but the type of player that do teamwork and focus on targets.
    In the BF: Bad Company stats were not shown the K/D ratio but only the global score, I think that this is a good thing for the Battlefield gameplay style.

For BF4 i only ask this:
    -More realism (not like ARMA, but very closely to it)
    -Focus on Teamwork and the real target of the gamemode
    -A type of gameplay a little bit more slow (like BF2- BFBC2). BF3 is more like to COD than the real Battlefield’s gameplay.
    -A type of gameplay that is focused on the strategy (I hope that the commander mode taken from BF2 help to the strategic factor)

• Derp
      April 28th, 2013 at 2:06 am

While I do feel you and fully agree, I think BF3 already got what it takes. I would only wish that they made the commo rose commands show in chat like in BF2.

It doesn’t matter if the players got the tools for great teamwork if they just ignore them anyways and go lonewolf. And that’s the problem. I’m sure BF4 will ship with awesome new features that will make teamwork better and easier. And everyone will still whine that theres no teamwork while they fail to realise that the tools are there. People just don’t utilise them.

2. Sedargo
    April 27th, 2013 at 11:52 am

I feel a high K/D shows you’re a smart infantry player. A high W/L shows you’re a competitive or are an objective player. 100 service stars in vehicles means you’re great with learning and adapting to vehicles. I don’t feel you can just be a great all-around BF3 player but that we’re all good at something. I suck at infantry combat but I’m great in tanks.

3. A Reader
    April 27th, 2013 at 4:01 pm

While numerical ratios such as ‘K/D’, ‘SPM’ & ‘KPM’, might seem interesting, I believe that TRUE ‘skill’ in Battlefield cannot accurately be quantified; it will always be a function of your ability to contribute to the overall success of your team. The simple reason for this is that Battlefield has first and foremost always been game of teamwork. (As opposed to the brainless running and gunning exemplified by OTHER games).

Doing small things such as outflanking an enemy position, (so that your squad mates can spawn in a good position), laying down Mines, Spawn Beacons or C4 in strategically important areas, spotting large amounts of enemy troops that had been previously unseen by your team, communicating to your squad mates potential strategies etc… are all ‘soft skills’ that contribute enormously and subtly to the overall success of your team. These actions cannot be fully ascertained by taking a player’s performance statistics at face value.

• NahYoChill
      April 28th, 2013 at 7:11 am

the most valuable player in a team may be the one who is actively spotting enemies with his MAV the entire round (i.e. in TDM this Recon most likely won’t be at the top of the leaderboard, but he’s likely the biggest contributor to his team’s win, even if he had never fired a shot)

the most valuable player in a team may be the one who is tactically using smoke grenades in a game of Rush to allow teammates to complete objectives. the only points he’ll get in regard to using smoke would be if he kills an enemy with a smoke grenade on impact (deff possible, try it out if you haven’t. just remember that’s not the point of using smoke grenades)

those hypothetical Recon and Assault players may very well be the biggest reason for why the team they were playing for had won, but the scoreboard will not tell this tale.

so fuck stats. just play to help your team win and have fun doing it, yo.

• Tojo
      April 28th, 2013 at 6:28 pm

This is all bang on A Reader. You know how to play the game.

The features you’ve quickly touched on and coordinating squad efforts tactically is what BF3 is all about. While I agree statistics won’t add up to the perfect player, it can point out a poor one (and those who have more to learn). There’s no statics for tactical awareness.. A good BF3 player has insight and awareness to work with his squad and team. Skills with a air/armor/infantry are only part of the equation.

I think this dynamic is what makes BF3 an enduring game compared to some other shooters. I only hope BF4 continues to evolve the game in that direction and not strive for just action for the sake of blurry twich combat. Tactics and coordination are much more interesting than KD ratios really geared towards twitch play.

• A Reader
        April 29th, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Hey Guys!

You all make great points and I thank you for your complements.

If you’d be interested, you can add me on XBOX or PS3, my name is:
        Apoloyn. I haven’t played BF since last July (when my Live membership expired), but might get back in during the summer. I haven’t decided yet on which console I will be playing BF4.

Anyways, I hope to see you all on the Battlefield!

4. me_again
    April 27th, 2013 at 5:11 pm

BF2

5. Commandotimmy
    April 28th, 2013 at 1:44 am

Premium…..

6. Indi
    April 28th, 2013 at 2:14 am

Well for starters, 2 years on from BF3, I think that a great player in BF3 should start off by handing out ammo packs and health packs when the team needs it, not just for yourself…. thats a start…
    Its just lame how in BC2 within just 3 months of game release about 85% of players would hand out packs, but in BF3 you only have like 40%when you ask a player for ammo/health…
    Search me up on BF3 stats :) Im the definition of a good BF3 player
    Indirulz123 (Im on PS3)
    apart from the whole ammo,health scandal thing. I think people should learn how to flank.. I just hate watching my team getting spawn trapped and they give spawn as snipers for the whole game doing nothing but sit back….

7. Joaquin Ecroyd
    April 29th, 2013 at 12:07 am

Battlefield is the most fantastic action game

8. Jones Loneson
    April 29th, 2013 at 12:42 am

A great player is someone who actually throws out med kits and ammo crates. So many people run and gun; these people might be from CoD. Hopefully Battlefield doesn’t get overrun with CoD players.

9. guan yu
    April 30th, 2013 at 12:34 am

They kinda overran bf3 already.. True Battlefield players mostly lost their favourite game already by this invasion of the new braindead gamer generation… I miss the days in Battlefield 2, where complete strangers were working closely together with eachother and the ingame voicechat was nice and friendly. Those players back then were the great Battlefield players.
    They didn’t care about score and k/d, they just wanted to have a fun round with their teammates.

• Indi
      April 30th, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Couldnt agree more… Well, my First BF game was BCBC2… even that had great teamwork and fun with total randoms…

• BigRedChief68
      October 26th, 2013 at 5:47 am

I totally agree. I just started playing online 2weeks ago. Very disappointed in the lone wolf attitude. Also amazed how players won’t talk to each other. Sure would be more fun

10. ArithonUK
    April 30th, 2013 at 9:45 am

What makes a good BattleField player? Teamwork.
    However, BattleField 3 did a lot to undermine this by removing teamplay elements and encouraging lonewolf gameplay.
    “Achievements” that required players to go off and RPG other players etc. – total rubbish!
    Also, the reduction of classes, removal of commander, absence of in-game squad communication, spawn on anyone instead of just squad leader, regen health (making medic redundant), etc. all contributed to a reduced incentive for teamwork.
    Their “improvement”? Suppressive fire.
    BF4 is hinting at worse to come. “Three factions” wow! BF2 had six. I’m not pre-ordering BF4 and it’ll be the first BattleField title I haven’t bought since BF1942. But then I want a BattleField game, not a micro-transaction hat shop…..

11. Pieter
    May 2nd, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I really miss the way it was presented in Bad Company 1, I mean, the skill level of the player, being lower the better…I think that takes into account everything, a bit of k/d and w/l ration, SPM, etc or at least it should.
    For me, SPM doesnt say much, taking into consideration the number of bugs and glitch, nor k/d or w/l, because you can be a camper…not even saying other variables that affect your performance…like internet connection for example.

12. drzoidberg1000
    May 8th, 2013 at 8:41 pm

With all the stat padding in this game you would think it’s pretty obvious that stats are meaningless, but hey, what do I know.

Most people can’t even consider the possibility that they are doing well solely because they’re on a better team. For any of you stat obsessed freaks out there who think you’re hot shit, trying playing against a pubstomp on your own without your precious M16A3 bullet hose and an entire squad of medics backing you up to protect your precious k/d.

Too many people in this game suffer from false attribution. They do well in game, so they think that happened because they’re just that good.

13. Mars
    May 15th, 2013 at 9:54 am

Yeah, stats don’t say anything.

I was mostly a squad leader in BF2, the only mobile spawn point of our squad. So I stayed back, did find myself a strategic place with an overview over the enemy flag and spotted and communicated enemy movement until we captured the objective. I still like to play like this in BF3, not playing for my points, but playing for my team.

I love the moments where one squad guy distract a enemy armor and another member flanks it and place C4 on it. The distracting guy has a big change to get killed and no reward for it. Still its a essential strategic move, in the greater good for your time.

Hope BF4 will have more focus on teamplay. The main point in BF is that your team wins, individual score is not that important.

14. BlackHawk3927
    May 29th, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I think they should make it so that whenever someone asks for ammo a notifier pops up on your screen telling you to drop it. And in the case of med pack you can send a notification back you don’t have it. All with the press of a button. Maybe holding Left or Right on the DPAD while pressing X?

15. Random
    June 28th, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Yes, I would have to agree with all of you, the teamwork in BF3 is pretty low, most people are just run and gun Cod players, who try a bit too hard just to keep their 1.80 KDR. I hope Battlefield 4 rewards a lot more for working together, and hopefully everybody isn’t a lone wolf. Also, Pretty annoying chasing after a Support or Medic asking them to drop a Medkit or Ammo Box.