On February 3rd, 2013 in News

Battlefield 3 premium
Battlefield 3 Premium has been a huge cash cow for EA and DICE. EA has announced that Battlefield 3 Premium has 2.9 million subscribers, each who paid the $50 to $60 bucks for the Premium service, which includes free DLC and other goodies. The Battlefield 3 Premium service has earned EA $108 million in additional revenue from Battlefield 3, the company revealed to shareholders recently.

Back in November, EA revealed that Battlefield 3 Premium had sold 2 million copies. It seems that sales have been steady so far, with a million additional copies sold until now. Battlefield 3 has one last DLC, “End Game”, which is scheduled for release next month.

Are you a Battlefield 3 Premium member? Has it been worth your money so far? Let us know in the comments section!

1. iRocket
    February 3rd, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Yeah, I’d say it has been worth my euros. Paid 37.90 on it and the DLC has all been good quality and overall it’s a great package with all the extra stuff. I’m just worried that next month all support is dropped when the last expansion hits and they focus on new games. New premiums don’t get anymore double xp, but all the other stuff stays.

• IKILLZOMBZ
      February 9th, 2013 at 2:57 am

I love how EA gave us weapons with the DLC that came out when premium did. Now that we have all spent our money, the final 3 DLCs have no weapons

2. J4CK
    February 4th, 2013 at 1:17 am

its worth it if you like all the DLC, but the tacked on crap(screen shot galleries/couple camos) suck.
    The premium only feature for servers is also a shifty and imo downright dirty addition.
    I hate close quarters, but of course they have the best weapons with the worst maps… so im half okay with purchasing it…

overall premium is just another money grab by greedy ass EA, but hey its not all so bad.
    and we can all guarantee a similar service to BF4. likely adding some sort of addition thats practically mandatory if you wanna play the game as its meant to be played..

3. WOOT FTW
    February 4th, 2013 at 1:25 am

It’s official! 3 million people have been screwed over! Anyone else thinking that this Super Bowl is a total failure of the 49s?

• WOOT FTW
      February 4th, 2013 at 4:16 am

Nice comeback…but oh well.

4. Jesse165
    February 4th, 2013 at 5:45 am

Ill know if it was worth it if they add AI bots in End Game like 1942, BF2, and BF2142. If they don’t than I would have to say it was NOT worth it.

5. Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
    February 4th, 2013 at 7:26 am

Premium in my opinion is only worth it if you’re planning on getting all the DLC for sure. Other then that, the rest of the things just seem like lame additions in attempts to spice it up like some dogtags or a small amount of camo skins.

And of course I’d like to see them do away with the premium only server options and tone down on the forced premium advertising. I don’t see it happening anytime soon because EA likes their money

Still, bad publisher or not, I still have plenty of fun with Battlefield 3 and with steady sells and 3 million premium subscribers it looks like EA hasn’t completely killed the game yet.

6. drzoidberg1000
    February 4th, 2013 at 8:30 am

It wasn’t worth it at all, it’s a complete scam that takes advantage of customers who do not know the time value of money (and those idiots who trust EA to deliver after they receive your money), and it pushes the border of price discrimination by not allowing regular customers to play the DLC they paid for by forbidding them from joining Premium servers.

If Premium did not literally divide the community, I could tolerate it. Instead, it forces everyone to buy in if they want to play the DLC they paid for. There are virtually no non Premium servers for the DLC (with the exception of B2K because of preorders).

I honestly thought I could forgo Premium. I was such an idiot for thinking that after the flop that BF3 was that somehow EA wasn’t going to nickel and dime me on the DLC. Even though I paid for the DLC just the same as everyone else, I was unable to play the game. Just to get into a moderately populated server, I had to play with extreme lag and I had to do it during the hours of 12pm to 7am. I’m sorry EA, but I have a job and a life and you do nothing but treat me like a second rate customer even though I pay just as much for the same exact service.

I am shocked EA has not been sued over this, and appalled that Premium users are not outraged by this division.

This is bound to draw downvotes. Premium shows just how horrible the BF3 community is. For starters, you’re supporting a tiered subscription service for content that you were PROMISED FOR A FULL YEAR would be free. Instead of calling out EA for their lies, you just threw them a $50 bone. If this community was not filled with selfish, immature children, we could all play together. If you’re really convinced that Premium was a good deal for you, I can tolerate that. But to make your servers Premium for no good reason and to forbid others from playing? Sure, EA enabled it, but NOBODY had to enforce it.

There’s a reason I am never supporting future Battlefield products. The community was hijacked. I don’t want to play any games with the likes of this community.

Of course, the wonderful posters here are usually an exception to the rule, but I’m sure you’ll still hate me for saying all this, per usual.

Even if you disagree with me, I’m certain that everyone can empathize with the idea of wanting to play together. It makes absolutely no sense that Premium and non Premium players should not be separated. This shrinks the community and kills the game faster.

• NahYoChill
      February 8th, 2013 at 8:20 pm

i believe that EA has not been sued b/c part of the Terms of Service dictates that we cannot form a class action lawsuit.
      lol imagine a used car salesman selling a car (which later proved to have its mileage reader tampered with) with the mutual understanding between himself and the customer that once the sale is made, said salesman cannot be made to answer for cheating or anything illicit concerning said car.

• drzoidberg1000
        February 17th, 2013 at 1:45 am

Most courts of law hold ToS to be invalid because you must agree to them after the purchase of your goods. Nobody actually agrees to the ToS terms, they just click “Accept” so they can use what they paid for.

7. Indi
    February 4th, 2013 at 9:59 am

Nope didnt get Premium, Also I think BF3 has sold 15 million copies and only 3 million players have premium,
    IMO waste of money, premium is just for selfish people jumping on queue lines in servers, and having OP weapons, like the M5k, AUG, JNG, that accurate as hell LMG.. etc….
    However with the amount of money EA/DICE has gotten, there should be no excuse for the next Battlefield game to be as bad, as this one!

8. Gameguy301
    February 4th, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Regret buying premium, back to Karkad has even the only set of maps I’ve enjoyed, and the m417 is the only unlockable weapon I’ve cared about.

9. Kill Your TV
    February 4th, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Yes. As a PS3 user BF3 has been my go to FPS multiplayer. Even though I got Back to Karkad as a part of the Limited Edition I was planning on getting all the DLC day one so for me I saved money. I never had any interestin the dog tags but do want all of the camo skins except the gun camos. I bought off of ebay the Dr. Pepper camos also the specact camos sometime before they made it DLC just to give you an idea of the how much I want to have it all so spending $49.99 for 4 DLCs at $15 a piece is no doubt a savings and in addition I got exclusive items.

10. KingOfRedLions
    February 5th, 2013 at 1:16 am

It was worth it for the dlc, but the rest was crap. I really hated how I spent $120 for the game and premium, then they released Battlefield 3 Premium edition for $60. Also the people who bought the game and premium didn’t get anything special for buying premium before bf3 premium edition.

• NahYoChill
      February 9th, 2013 at 12:41 am

just curious, how did you spend $120? i myself spent $60 (Limited Edition) + $50 (Premium) = $110 total.

the GTX 285 retailed for $400 at launch (i got it for $360 because of a rebate) and sold for $250-300 (admittedly, perhaps only in the secondary market) the next year. the GTX 570 retailed for $350 at release and sold for $200 in aftermarkets the following year. most games sell for almost half of their launch prices a year after release. would you hate that? prices depreciate over time in most markets (antique/vintages being an exception); it’s basic economics and shouldn’t really surprise anybody.

“Also the people who bought the game and premium didn’t get anything special for buying premium before bf3 premium edition.” nothing special was promised for buying Premium before Premium Edition so there’s no reasonable expectation for something special. also, the “benefit” (as little it may be) is to play it earlier than others.

11. ScreamFace
    February 5th, 2013 at 2:48 am

Premium was totally worth it for me.

I have close to 500 hours in the game now and a lot of that was in the dlc maps. I’ve liked all the DLCs.

The only issues are that a lot of the bonus stuff is crap. I enjoy the assignments but the rewards are meaningless. The camo’s is weird because there’s so few and on so few weapons.

Bonus things like videos and digital art books are pointless.

The other big big issue is I don’t like the fragmentation to the game all these DLCs cause. Being in Australia we have way less people playing and can’t play outside of our part of the world. So the fragmentation is annoying as hell. I really wish there were more servers that did absolutely everything.

From my point of view keeping the DLCs as one big purchase, with no smaller ones would be better. Instead of people still trying to cater for those that may have just bought AK or AM or whatever.

Often to play certain DLC’s at this stage you have to play on servers with rules you don’t necessarily like. Or sometimes modes and servers simply aren’t there for what you want.

12. yams in a can
    February 5th, 2013 at 3:55 am

AWESOME NEWS!!!!

13. whatever
    February 5th, 2013 at 2:56 pm

not worth it at all. DLC is popular for one week, then everyone goes back to vanilla maps like Noshahr and Kharg.

additional in-game content sucks with some of the most ridiculous assignments i’ve ever seen

bonus content drop is completely shit. seriously? 3 dogtags was all they could come up with for the last one? not only did they stab their fans in the heart, but hey, why not twist the blade a few times before BF3 reaches its end-of-support point, eh?

the community is also shit, game is infested with cheaters because everything is client-sided. clientside hitreg FTW? yeah, no

support is shit, critical issues are never going to be fixed and DICE has been testing our patience ever since the game hit the shelves

BF4 can go fuck itself, i’m done with EA and their moneygrabbing schemes