On February 8th, 2013 in News

back-to-karkand-13
So far Battlefield 3 has sold millions of copies on PC, PlayStation 3, and the Xbox 360. And according to a recent job posting, EA and DICE might just bring the shooter franchise to the Mac OS X as well.

The job listing at DICE looks for a Mac OS X engineer to work on their Frostbite 2 engine, which powers Battlefield 3. If DICE is working on a Mac OS X version of Frostbite 2, it could mean that not only Battlefield 3 would be coming to Mac, but other games powered by Frostbite, such as Need For Speed The Run, and the highly disappointing Medal of Honor Warfighter.

1. Kill Skill
    February 8th, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Good for Mac owners but how many Mac owners are gamers anyway?

• Professionalgoodbye
      February 8th, 2013 at 8:37 pm

i have a mac and im a gamer, except i do all my gaming on PS3 though. Although a bf3 or some frostbite 2 game for MAC would be awesome, the graphics, i imagine, would be very poor. We all know that Macs are not made for gaming. But it would be interesting to see what they are capable of and if it would work out.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
        February 9th, 2013 at 2:55 am

I assume mac mini’s would struggle due to the integrated intel graphics. Mac pro’s (the desktops) are practically designed to be a server so they have some beefy processing power and come equipped with a decent video card to boot so those should run BF3 no problem. The more high end macbook pro laptop should be able to run BF3 on I assume medium – high, not so sure about the lower end laptops.

I could be wrong on some of this so mac users don’t take my word for it

• RickRoller
          February 9th, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Yeah it’s not that ‘Macs aren’t designed for gaming’ which generically is true but that doesn’t make them incapable… if you have a high end Mac you’ll be set, if you have a low end machine with Intel graphics you’ll be out of luck.

The 27′ iMac for example comes with, optionally, the 675MX or 680MX one slightly under and the other slightly above the performance of a desktop GTX 580 and would play BF3 on it’s highest settings.. even the 5870 in the Mac Pro would probably do fine, the Macbook Pro’s with the 650GT on medium probably… etc. The high end macs are decently beefy machines really..

• Ziga
          November 1st, 2013 at 7:39 pm

i have a imac from 2011 and it struggles to run simcity. So no battlefield for me, then?

• chuck
      April 18th, 2013 at 4:53 am

I game alot, but my mac isn’t really very powerful. I have a custom rig for gaming, and I really only use my ~3 year old iMac for work. I sometimes game with it by dual booting windows, but seeing as it only has a 256mb radeon hd 4000 series, I can’t do much. That said, anyone with a newer mac can probably game fine. Last I heard the 2013 macs ship with either a 640M, 650M, or 660M depending on what configuration you get.

2. MasterDevil
    February 8th, 2013 at 8:38 pm

i wonder if i owned the PC version
    i would have the chance to use it on my macbook

• Braddah
      February 9th, 2013 at 1:43 am

You think a PS3 version will work on XBOX?

• MkFilipe
        February 11th, 2013 at 6:41 pm

That’s not the same, like steam you probably just need to log in origin on your mac and if you click to play bf3 it will download the mac version.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
      February 9th, 2013 at 2:27 am

From what I’ve seen and heard you can run windows on mac with relative ease if you have a copy of windows. One of my friend switches between windows and his normal operating system on his mac to game.

BF3 designed for mac would of course be better and cheaper, but there’s still that alternative if you don’t want to wait for it to come to mac or want to play other windows games

3. Indi
    February 9th, 2013 at 5:10 am

Another way to make cash of other customers for real..I own a mac but I play on console…

4. randy
    February 16th, 2013 at 4:45 pm

i have the last 27 inch mac the came out with

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    8GB (two 4GB) memory
    1TB hard drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

if battlefield 3 come out for mac will i able to run the game?

5. Coop R.
    March 13th, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Heh, I gotta Macbook Air… it’s practically a Facebook machine… I don’t think it’ll run.
    *cries hysterically*

6. Allan
    March 16th, 2013 at 3:08 am

I have a macbook pro running fusion. i can run as a window or full screen, I got bf3 for pc so I gave it a shot, running windows in os x and drop high end game in to boot and i can only run it in medium but OK. take out fusion and windoze and I’d say it will do nicely.

Macbook pro users do not have a problem as long as you keep your mac clean.

7. Andrew
    June 21st, 2013 at 6:41 am

Battlefield 3 to mac. Sounds Nice…. You won’t have to boot camp and do all that stuff to play it anymore.

8. Andrew
    June 22nd, 2013 at 8:15 am

Are you sure that Macintosh will be capable to run in such graphics???
    Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 are games that run in really high graphics qualities… might be something to consider about.

9. u idiots
    July 10th, 2013 at 5:22 am

I currently run bf3 on late 2012 imac, AND late 2011 mbp. If you use bootcamp. a copy of windows 7 home premium, U can run ANY pc game.
    I am playing bf3 now laughing at some of these comments!
    Btw, The mbp is only 4 gb ram, and is fine on campaign and some online servers. But the beasty 32gb ram top of the line imac late 2012, is amazing! I suggest bfore u post. U take a look at some youtube videos.
    If ur wondering about being able to play bf3 on mac, Answer= YES! And better than some pcs! U just cant use paralells, U HAVE to use bootcamp.

• Alex
      August 21st, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I think it could run on my late 2012 mac mini, except i’m not so sure about the intel graphics, it has a hard time on higher end game graphics as i’ve seen.