On May 3rd, 2012 in News

BF3 patchThe latest Battlefield 3 patch, released a few weeks ago, was eagerly awaited by gamers, and it fixed a lot of issues and balanced out some things. However, not everyone is pleased. We all have our opinions on the new patch, and depending on whom you ask, some of the weapons have been nerfed too much, some have been buffed too much, etc. DICE’s Patrick Bach responded to patch criticism in a recent interview, saying:

“The biggest challenge when you release a big patch like this is to wait. Because we know that if you have a favourite gun that we have balanced down or you score in a certain way by doing certain things and then we nerfed that down then you will get upset, period.”

Bach continued, saying that they don’t listen to the individual complaints, but to the community as a whole when it comes to tweaking the battlefield 3 gameplay.

“People do not care and they do not know about the big picture, but we do. Because we don’t care about single individuals, we care about everyone. We try to make sure that everyone has a great time and that the balance is overarching. So we have a lot of statistics, we look at all the data and we try to listen to people and ask ‘is this really an issue?’. And in most of the cases it is not an issue.”

1. Bro
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Shitty console port is shitty…

• SmarterthanBro
      May 3rd, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Say WHAT? Ok, you got no idea.

• Mark
      May 3rd, 2012 at 6:26 pm

With the bigger picture the had in mind 6years old kids living the game because they get killed to fast… We know DIce what is your problem but do have ears for our and make hardcore really hardcore!! Let us tweek healt down to 40% on our servers and let it still be ranked for God sake!! But the fixes I like the most are blind bullets (SKS with Flash Suppressor and 4x Agoc on moving target), Actually all weapons enquiped with flash supressor seems to have some sort of blind bullets bug in it…and then there is this HUGE fals statement about how supressor no longer reduces the damage…FALSE…it still does!! you need half of mag on 20m and “only” 10 bullets (aimed&chest&hardcore mode) within havy barrel!?? And and…You scroued the game big time! And your big picture is what? 6years old one will get after dad bought him a game also server and all the DLC’s??? You see, it is you Dice who looks at the wrong “big picture”…stop messing with your future money…. ;) )

• ELITE_CHICOMALO
        May 4th, 2012 at 12:13 am

All I want is F*CKING HARDCORE with NO MINI MAP.

60% player health, no mini map and RANKED. Is it too hard to do?

• |{ilo Foxtrot
          May 4th, 2012 at 3:43 am

Yes, it really is too bad more servers don’t run that style game mode.

And in response to the initial post by Hyde.
          OH! SO THEY WON’T FIX MY GAME THEN?!
          SO THAT STUPID ORIGIN UI UPDATE THAT WENT OUT ON THE LINES SCREWED ME OUT OF 75 DOLLARS WORTH OF GAME AND ISN’T GETTING ROLLED BACK OR FIXED IN THE NEXT 3 WEEKS AT LEAST?!

• pr0faker
        May 4th, 2012 at 3:51 pm

@mark, first of all they don’t make bullets less deadly, the HB makes the damage range bigger thus bullets at 20m will do more damage with HB then withouth or other attachements. Also it makes the gun more accurate horizontally with an added buff to vertical recoil, which is way more manageable then the more random horizonal increase the sound suppressor gives. Quite logically imho you need more bullets.

What they really need to fix are:
        -m26 glitch
        -flares + ecm randomness and rockets still hitting after employing BOTH at the right time.
        -tanks that pirouette at the slightest slope when going in sprint and turn 1mm.
        - jets that practically hover with idiotly high manouvreability.
        - OPERATION METRO CQ, give us a fucking 4th and/or 5th flag! this shit is just lame now but can be fixed quite easily. That or maybe make a sideway so we can enter another way going from lower metro area to the side exit road thus creating another path that US side can take to outside area and splitting up the enemy forces between those two.
        - VOIP for squads
        - battlerecorder please if possible.

• Dennis
        July 8th, 2012 at 6:57 am

THIS IS RIGHT!! Its absolutely NOT a “minority of individuals” who feel that TOO MANY WEAPONS HAVE BEEN NERFED!! I see these complaints (as an example) that the HK417 is TOO overpowered??? what??? THAT is RIDICULOUS! Its perfect!! If anything, the ACR needs a buff to match its current underpowered (yet higher rof, low spread perks). Its no fun using the ACR in single shot!!!!! It takes a whole mag at some times (at point blank range even)

Just saying, I wish the weapons (especially sniper rifles w/ suppressors) would STOP getting nerfed like they had historically. THE BOLT ACTIONS SHOULD STAY A OHK CAPABLE weapon when HITTING ABOVE THE WAIST!!!
        Also, there are too many nerfs occuring in general with a few other things, but they are too much to list here.

PLEASE DICE, fix the weapons and stop nerfing them. There aren’t THAT MANY overpowered weapons at this point. The SCARH/SCARL are even a bit underpowered now since that patch from long ago. So many miss it how it used to be….And w/ the ACR, they could lower the high ROF and buff the damage at med range so that way, we could use single shot and enjoy it. PLEASE DICE—-stop messing with guns that some of the kiddies are complaining about. They don’t like dying fast??? ok, then they can play Gears of War or COD…but don’t mess with BF3′s HC MODE plz…let it stay TRULY, TRULY, BRUTAL HARDCORE w/ weapons damage….and i am only referring to those who’ve been overly nerfed

2. FDSDH 011i
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:02 pm

“We hear you, DICE, but you still gotta get of your behinds and fix the M26 glitch, pronto. Oh, and consider making the tanks not made out of cardboard.”

you tell em BF3Blog!

3. Jackson
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:02 pm

i like the patch, but they over did somethings like the tanks

• lol
      May 3rd, 2012 at 4:05 pm

they stated they didnt nerfed the tanks.. it just bug, tanks shouldn’t be weak as that

• Hard Dominator
        May 3rd, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I tend to disagree on that. I can still drive and kill for half a match in a single tank with some great teammates in the tank. Insted I would love them to fix the javelin problem on city maps like seine. The rockets are supposed to strike from the top of the tank and go over obstacles if i’m right. Now they’re flying into buildings because the tank drives behind them. Tank drivers can stay in a tank the entire match. Very annoying. And for the record tanks can easily be disabled with a single rocket in the real world.

• Yup
          May 3rd, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Have you ever been in a Bradley in Afghanistan that got hit by an RPG?
          *Tink

• I Love BF3
          May 3rd, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Guess what? This isn’t the real world

• Go Back 2 Your Root's Dice
          May 3rd, 2012 at 11:58 pm

They need to be painted by a laser in order for them to hit on the top of a vehicle.

4. lol
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:03 pm

agreed with everything in this article

5. Luka Mijić
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Pls fix jets! 2 rocket hits and just disabled?? Com’n?!!!!!?!?!?!?! Earlies was exellent. One hit disable, second hit destroyed. And make jets faster!

Thank you!

• Trollzor
      May 3rd, 2012 at 11:46 pm

IRL Jets would be screwed by just one missle. Suck it up and play the game!

• BonKerz
        May 4th, 2012 at 11:19 pm

He is not complaining that jets blow up too fast. Rather, he wants them to blow up faster. And I agree with the fact that jets are too slow in bf3. If you go back and play bf2, they’re twice as fast. Which is pretty fun because dog fights are more intense that way.

6. DotAX
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:14 pm

“People do not care and they do not know about the big picture, but we do. Because we don’t care about single individuals, we care about everyone.”
    So, where is our VOIP ?

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
      May 3rd, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I may not play on the PC but its just…pathetic. Every Battlefield game should have VOIP as a MANDATORY feature, period.

I can’t wait to see what bullshit excuse DICE has to come up with for the lack of VOIP.

• nick913
        May 3rd, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I believe it is because they have a stupid contract with a company providing voip on battlelog. But honestly there are so many things in this game that make me wonder if the devs honestly thought it was a good idea or they are just greedy EA obeying drones.

• Oh- Excuse me?! EXCUSE ME?!
      May 3rd, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Typical PR shit everyone is tired of hearing. Let’s face it, they’re gonna wait until Close Quarters to fix the M26 issue, and giving us some quality VOIP is highly unlikely.

7. Roflcoptah
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:16 pm

When will you guys learn? You have to wait +1 year until you buy a DICE game.

Why? Because only then it’ll be fully patched and playable.

• lol
      May 3rd, 2012 at 5:26 pm

many of guys that i know that said this game is unplayable have already play hundreds of hours.. stop being hyporites you bastards!

• lol
      May 3rd, 2012 at 5:26 pm

• inSANITY
        May 4th, 2012 at 2:01 am

I for one did sink hours and hours into the game until the most recent patch. Now I barely ever play, and when I do I don’t enjoy it. Like I stated previously, the over-balancing makes all guns behave the EXACT same way, and with the new suppression all you need is twitch reflexes to be amazing. Things like “tactics”, “skill”, and “practice” were all thrown out the window… and here we are now, with an empty shell of a game that at one point I would consider an actual Battlefield game. I love the variation they are trying to bring with Close Quarters, but nothing can make up for the fact that the game is just plain terrible now.

-inSANITY

• k-bar
          May 6th, 2012 at 7:52 am

you said:i did sink hours and hours into the game until the most recent patch. Now I barely ever play, and when I do I don’t enjoy it…couldent be more well said,i have done the same and its just no longer fun anymore after last patch! complete waste of 75 bucks down the drain on this product! its really telling of EA,DICE and the quality that is no longer part of games! bf3 is what killed it for me and so many others! online is terrible just like mw3 but even worse!

8. CaptNoob
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I think the AT weapon buff isn’t OP, but the .50 cal on the vehicles is WAY UP. I would really like to see vehicle AP weapons get a serious buff. If I’m in a tank wailing in you with a .50 cal MG, then you should not be able to just jump out of cover and launch an AT rocket with perfect accuracy. That is some BS. PS, I only play hardcore.

• Big_Bubbaloola
      May 4th, 2012 at 9:56 am

Fully agree with you dude. I’ve lost count the amount of times i’ve wailed on someone with a .50cal and wind up hitting them multiple times for it to do piss all damage to them. Using 3x 9mm bullets from an M9 at mid range can kill, but a 15 sec constant stream of .50 ammo at even close range practically does nothing!!

9. HanzKrebs
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:25 pm

yesterday, i just got on a 27man kill spree while in a tank on kargh island 32 man conq… the tank is not weak! you just dont know how to play with it! use reactive armor, point the reactive plates at the enemy tank so he shoots them not damageing you! and vs choppers? simple! get some teammate to laser desig it so they need to glue it back together… IN HELL

10. Fragtard
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I honestly wonder if these tards actually believe the sh1t3 their peddling? Seriously, we waited ages for this patch and I think we waited because they needed to figure a way to squeeze more money out of us in the process via Server Rentals.

Now the patch has been out and within hours you could tell it was seriously flawed. There was tons of info. on the web about the gaping holes created by this patch and still here we are suffering ridiculous suppression, glass tanks and the Mass, c’mon.

If you’re going to try and BS us guys, at least do it a little sooner; that way at least we don’t have as much pent up frustration.

Also, why do we have to wait for 00ber patches anyway? If you have all the stats you claim to then you know what the biggest issues are so why not tackle them from a top down approach? At least you’ll give the impression that you want to deliver quality content coupled with genuine interest in your gaming audience. Seriously, with all the PR and Marketing “geniuses” you have on staff, you should know how to give the illusion of caring even if you don’t give 2 sh1ts.

Normally I don’t whinge like this but in all seriousness, we should not have to wait months on end for a patch that breaks just as much as it fixes.

Rant over.

• Johnny Neat
      May 4th, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Great FUCKING post. Bravo.

• Frustrated
      May 10th, 2012 at 5:52 am

I absolutely agree with you, honestly they said all this shit about fixing stuff and reducing recoil on guns and shit but they forget to mention almost all guns have increased recoil and those that have no changes actually do. I didn’t complain much as i got used to all the shit from before the patch but this patch absolutely ruined the game for me, lets be real, shit was better before the patch, and don’t say that it’s not true. Them saying that they’re looking at the big picture is absolute bs, yes famas was the noob gun to use, so fix that, dont fuck up all the other guns, now everyone runs over the the m16, im guessing this is what they call patch fixing, make the famas suck dick and use the m16.

11. Stone
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I’m actually really happy with the new patch.

• Kalubka
      May 4th, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I bet you have already reached your 100th Service Star with the Mass?

• PARTYBOY_1091
        May 4th, 2012 at 9:57 pm

the m26 mass bug has been their since bf3 came out

12. CasualJunkie
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Bottom line is: for DICE we all are a bunch of cry babies!

13. Tojiro1974
    May 3rd, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I’m so glad I’m not a hardcore gamer. When they nerfed the Famas, I just shrugged and moved on. The fact that we can talk about changing tactics highlights that the game has advantages over other games I won’t mention.

14. Franko
    May 3rd, 2012 at 5:01 pm

This Bach is retarded moron. The only weapon needed to be nerfed was Usas/frag rounds and maybe famas. Nothing else! But they fucked grips,supressors,added recoil to every weapon… Idiots. I never heard anyone saying grips and supressors are op.

• this guy over here
      May 3rd, 2012 at 9:45 pm

right.i care more about the weapons thn the high suppresion,and glass tanks.sigh id even no wht gun to use now

15. scutkine
    May 3rd, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Since the beginning a bug map is still there, in Damavand Peak, when you run with Scout and pass too much closer of the ground when you fly above the moutain..

“Bad Luck” is my name…

Dice have a road map to fix this fucking bug, coz such bug should already be fixed isn’t it?

16. k-bar
    May 3rd, 2012 at 5:10 pm

lol this sounds like they really hear us! lol real encourageing,yea right!

17. ELCOYOTE23
    May 3rd, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I don’t mind the patch so much, but there are definitely a lot of things that are kind of wacky. It does seem to only have introduced entirely new balance issues instead of fixing things overall.
    The suppression has also gotten a little insane. I had a .44 magnum point blank directly on this guys head but since I was getting suppressed by another guy I couldn’t hit the dude right in front of me. Don’t get me wrong, I love the suppression mechanic but there are a lot of things DICE seems to be OVER compensating or way OVER nerfing in general. I’m all for a little tweaking here and there but they take it to the extreme. It seems like some of the things that need buffed get ignored or nerfed. My squad was getting harassed by an attack helicopter at a flag, and he was staying really low and I re spawned with a stinger to try to get him to at least buzz off for a little bit but even though I was right next to him looking straight at him the stinger refused to lock or even track since he was so low. I mean, he was right there 20 yards away and it wouldn’t track or lock at all even though I kept it on him for like 30 or more seconds off and on. I was like “what the hell?” I understand if he has countermeasures but it rendered the stinger 100% useless. It makes sense if countermeasures make it harder but negating it all together when you are that close up is absurd. Vehicle .50 cals can be effective but are definitely a bit too weak. I have actually fired .50 cals in the Navy and it’s frustrating to repeatedly get hit markers on enemy targets and not get a kill when you know those bullets will tear people to shreds. Rpg and m320 explosive damage/radius is also always piss poor in my opinion. I feel like I only use the m320 for taking out walls since shooting infantry with it, even a good direct shot doesn’t always guarantee a kill, and I think that is one of the things they even nerfed, so it’s even worse than before apparently. It’s ironic if you accidently shoot at rpg at your own feet you suicide but if you shoot it directly at an enemies feet the’ll walk away just fine. The famas is another good example, why keep changing the mag sizes etc? How about keep the mag size that is actually in service so it actually reflects the real gun?

• NoName
      May 3rd, 2012 at 8:00 pm

If he was that close, why not have an RPG-7?

• FPS Russia is a fake
        May 3rd, 2012 at 11:52 pm

this is not call of duty

• Anonymous
          May 4th, 2012 at 3:11 pm

RPGs work against low flying helicopters you moron, or did you miss the news a year ago where 30 members of Seal Team Six got whacked by one?

• FPS Russia is a fake
          May 5th, 2012 at 1:44 am

anonymous, you are a dumbass, of course the rpg should destroy a helicopter, im saying that we should not run around and shoot rpgs and grenades at infantry. they are for vehicles and walls, not black people

• bigmike
      May 4th, 2012 at 5:38 am

i agree with most of your comments except for the rpg/m320 on infantry. that actually was a good nerf in my opinion. they did it so it wouldnt become call of duty where everyone uses the tube as their primary weapon and shoots tubes randomly praying for a kill/kills which they most likely will get.

18. Fiesta
    May 3rd, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Oh, 60% of my clan quit BF3 because of the ”airrape”.

Useless AA….airrape…mmmm… I wonder what the connection is.

• Ground
      May 4th, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Is this connected to the map “Rape Island”?

19. Blackike
    May 3rd, 2012 at 5:36 pm

What would be nice is if Dice got off there ass so that they won’t hurt their backs from the fat wallets they have from the sale of this freaking game that wasn’t and still not ready to be released.
    Everyone is bitching about the mav elevator, suppression, dart and other minor b.s.
    Try being part of the NO GUN CLUB where you spawn in with no arms or weapons. If you get in any vechicle and can’t hear any warning about being locked on or even being damaged. Our only choice is hope that you trip over our ammo or medic box and die of bad luck.
    Try playing like that!!!!!!!!!

• NO GUN CLUB. YAAAAAY!
      May 4th, 2012 at 6:55 pm

IKR, they say they “listen to the community”. BS. How many people have the no gun glitch. 10k maybe 20k, but those lazy assholes cant fix a game i paid £45 freakin pounds. Daylight robbery… Well back to bad company 2 for me..

• copacod-killah
        May 6th, 2012 at 4:58 pm

agreed, i get the no gun glitch 8 out of 10 times whenever i start a game now, until i rage quit because of all the bugginess… its…. just… not …fun… anymore

20. flare
    May 3rd, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Dice has selective hearing.

they channel out the old school fans and
    listen to the young kiddies.

why else would the make spawning really close to the middle
    when the maps are huge.

give stupid recoil to rifles yet reduce recoil for sniper rifles like the sks

do absolutely nothing about the autoshotguns.

hooray for spray and pray.

the biggest slap to the old school fans.

make Close quarter combat the next dlc.

only migrating CoD players would want something stinker like that.

• Go Back 2 Your Root's Dice
      May 4th, 2012 at 12:21 am

Thanks man! I like hearing the facts on this blog..

21. Douglas
    May 3rd, 2012 at 5:42 pm

They have to fix the bloody ecm jammer flair things. Too effective on helicopters and doesn’t work on jets. Too often I have joined a game and the enemy team are spawn killing in a heli and no one can get
    a lock on. Then their team jumps out and steals our heli and does the exact same thing.

22. FDSDH 011i
    May 3rd, 2012 at 6:06 pm

∆
    ∆ ∆

• Trollzor
      May 5th, 2012 at 12:13 am

noobs cant triforce :3

23. BIG STRONG INDEPENDENT BLACK WOMAN
    May 3rd, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Oh look, DICE bullshiting us again. The same “dodge the real issues” crap.
    Anyone believing this needs to be shot.
    Fuck DICE. and fuck EA too. I wish I could get my money back.

• LongShanx
      May 4th, 2012 at 3:06 am

I gave you a thumbs up. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the thumbs down are the Famas, USAS, and now M26 iTzsHaDoWsNiip3zz kids that are upset you insulted their “pro” game.

24. Ed
    May 3rd, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I’m putting my copy up for sale on eBay tonight.

25. BF2Fan
    May 3rd, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Fucking kids complaining jeez…. I hope people realize they dont have to play the game, and that they arent the ones developing. DICE and EA arent forcing us to play BF3, so why should they have to listen to all the nagging complainer? Let them do what they want and what they think is best. If you dont like their decisions, go play COD. Overall, i thought the patch was fine.

• k-bar
      May 3rd, 2012 at 9:10 pm

of course they dont have to play but keep in mind they invested in a product that has become unplayable and enjoyable! disappointing

• LongShanx
      May 4th, 2012 at 3:09 am

“Go play COD”?

Interesting, considering most of those complaining about this broken pos game are complaining because they made it more like COD and less like BF.

Fucking retard.

• Bf2Guy
        May 4th, 2012 at 10:32 am

yes, go play COD because: 1) They are two completely different games, and 2) No matter what Battlefield becomes, I am sure it will always be better than COD

• k-bar
          May 4th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

reality is they both suck!