On April 20th, 2012 in News

BF3 AA
DICE has released a new Battlefield 3 server patch that brings a few fixes to the game, including a fix for AA missiles and an additional fix for the “MAV elevator” glitch”. There is also mention of a tweak to tank armor strength, but there isn’t any mention of how much or what exactly the new tweak does. We expect it to have improved tank armor at least a bit, as tanks are practically useless in Battlefield 3 today. The full patch notes:

• Fixed AA missiles not doing damage to vehicles moving at very high speeds
  • Fixed TV Missile doing much more damage than it should (it is no longer a 1-hit kill)
  • Tweaked tank armor strength
  • MAV elevatoring fix, round 2; proning on the MAV will now disable it
  • RCON admin.say command can send to individual players
  • A few invalid map+gamemode combinations in maplist.txt could crash the server on startup; these combinations are now rejected instead
  • RCON vars.serverDescription was not returning anything in R20 if the string was not set; this has been changed to return “” instead
  • RCON player.onChat now reports the target player subset

The patch can be downloaded here by server owners and applied as usual.

1. belfast
    April 20th, 2012 at 4:01 pm

So what. Stupid nonsens

• liar
      April 20th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

fixes are good. now lets get the m26 dart fixed already.

• Hawk8th
        April 21st, 2012 at 12:42 am

“The patch can be downloaded here by server owners and applied as usual.” Computer server owners right? Not console.

• Other Brian
          April 21st, 2012 at 12:59 am

Since the console servers are technically maintained by EA, they’ll probably just apply the patch automatically. Though it would be nice to know if they’ve done that or not.

2. Piotr
    April 20th, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Thank God – New Good NEWS !!!

3. Lol
    April 20th, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I want my famas fixed

• Nexnecis
      April 20th, 2012 at 5:51 pm

It’s still amazing for CQC, as was intended. Having that kind of RoF and expecting it to kill at 75m+ quickly is foolish.

4. rabbit187
    April 20th, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I sure hope DICE has another weapons tweak vertical recoil is a killer on a lot of weapons and hit detection is still off quite bit

• Iaan
      April 20th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

have tried almost every weapon after patch and i don`t see any problem with vertical recoil .. which gun are you talking about ?

• flare
        April 20th, 2012 at 5:39 pm

the m4a1 used to be my top weapon of choice but the recoil is really inconsistent where i ll be 10 feet away and it ll take a whole clip to kill them or sometimes it ll just miss them completely after the first bullet.
        i tried it with every single attachment combination.

• Nexnecis
          April 20th, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Heavy barrel only and optic of choice (Kobra in my case) on the M4A1. The US starter weapons are still power houses. Well rounded in every situation. Still see tons of people running around with foregrips and they wonder why they can’t hit anything farther than 30m.

• Steve
          April 20th, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Yeah, I have the same problem with the M4A1. I used to use foregrip and the laser sight, but after the patch the recoil was ridiculous and I couldn’t hit shit or it took me one-one and a half magazines to kill someone. I found that the heavy barrel with no primary attachment and the Kobra RDS or the suppressor with foregrip or no primary attachment. works best for me.

• Iaan
          April 20th, 2012 at 5:52 pm

try heavy barel, kobra, short burst and recoil compensation .. still can`t see the problem .. if you can`t manage high fire rate guns, try some with slower rpm .. like AKS (best carabine after patch in my opinion), SG or G53 … before patch m16 and m4 were too easy to control .. m16 way to easy …

• flare
          April 20th, 2012 at 6:20 pm

to Iaan,

its weird because i tried both of those guns you suggested and they cant beat any guns from assault head on because of the slow fire rate especially with the stupid suppression.

i found out that the new patch made all but the a-91 the only gun that is effective in the engineer class.

to steve

my problem is that the patch made suppressor/foregrip combo literally useless if they are 50 feet out. i even single shoot higher for bullet drop but the patch just ruined the m4a1.
          the flash suppressor also doesnt seem to work with the m4a1.
          theres a big difference with it on with the a-91 but the m4a1
          recoils the same with or without the flash suppressor.

• Pr0faker
          April 21st, 2012 at 3:21 pm

foregrip makes almost any gun pretty much spray and pray for distances further then 20 meters thus keeping it for CQB fighting. HB is almost on any gun it can be on for me. I am a reasonably good aim and thus get a boost from the aim increase of the HB.
          Also if you need 1,5 mag to kill, you need to work on your aim or take off the foregrip.
          As HB not only decreases side to side and slightly increase vertical recoil it also makes a gun more effective on longer ranges thus killing faster with less bullets.

• roger
          June 13th, 2012 at 11:36 am

dude u must relise its the 3d mouse setting is set tooooooooooo high for your camera i d say u turn down the mouse reaction setting down real low as this works in ervy shooter game online reduce recoil by lowering screen size and yer mouse or camera setting down low slow looks left right u turn up high u get fast looks left right u turn down camera u get slow look and slow aim and slow or near no recoil u turn camera speed up ull get fast looks fast aim and dam f fast jumping recoil u see my iq is so good 29 years in gaming atari 2600 6 switch console i started on ok that should help u rember any shooter camera or mouse turn down low on ghost recon 2 my camera or 3d mouse set was 30 the normal set was 40 but to recoil if i put it to 50 then id get realy hopeless recoil like u talk about

• Rabbit187
        April 21st, 2012 at 1:21 pm

the M416 on the xbox has increase vertical recoil on full auto and burst mode, I have tried both the heavy barrel and suppressor the same issue with an-94.

the hit detection is off on the L96 when using a 4x optics but is fine when using a 8x or 12x optics.

• Sunn
          April 25th, 2012 at 10:17 pm

the an-94 is now my assault rifle of choice..with heavy barrel. on full auto the vertical recoil can get tedious but most of the time i just keep it on burst mode and spam the trigger when necessary, and recoil is never an issue.

• jmckay93
      April 20th, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Im sorry I have no idea what you are talking about I dont have a problem with hit detection whatsoever what console are you playing on? are you sure your actually hitting the person or are you missing?

• rabbit187
        April 21st, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I’m xbox I been playing on a lot of euro servers. I had hit detection problems with the L96 with a 4x optics, I look it up on the forums on battlelog I was not the only one getting this hit dectection errror. The L96 works fine with 8x & 12x optics.
        Before you ask why was on a euro server, the euro servers started the whole bolt action only lobbies which are quite fun with 4x optics and a straight bolt . My favorite bolt is the M40A3 by far

5. james
    April 20th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I found that adding attachments to counter the recoil works best. I’m usually running around with a suppressor on. :)

6. Twinkie
    April 20th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Tanks still like paper. TV Missile still one hit. Maybe the serveres I tried had not yet updated.

• Nexnecis
      April 20th, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I played on 3 servers last night that had updated. TVs do about 65ish to tanks now. I’ve always play conservative in MBTs but it felt unstoppable again with the armor buff and don’t think that is a good thing. MBTs shouldn’t be able to barrel into hot zones without any regards for AT.

7. Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
    April 20th, 2012 at 4:49 pm

“We expect it to have improved tank armor at least a bit, as tanks are practically useless in Battlefield 3 today.”

I agree tank armor was over nerfed in my opinion, but that doesn’t mean they’re useless.

If people learned to stay at a distance and make liberal use of their zoom optics upgrade instead of mindlessly driving head-first into the fray only to be greeted with a hail fire of AT rockets, then players would realize tanks aren’t as bad as people make them out to be.

• flare
      April 20th, 2012 at 5:42 pm

i assume you havent played a team with javelin and rpg player combo yet.
      pretty much you re a sitting duck.

• Aj b33m3R
      April 20th, 2012 at 6:05 pm

“If people learned to stay at a distance and make liberal use of their zoom optics upgrade…”

I agree with you but then you’ll be accused of not PTFO.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
        April 20th, 2012 at 11:06 pm

The technique isn’t flawless, of course not…but it sure as hell beats suicide running into the front line. I see so many people doing it only to die then solely blame the tank’s armor without thinking of trying something different and more effective.

• Pr0faker
        April 21st, 2012 at 3:25 pm

how is not getting killed and tank destroyed while killing enemies that then can’t kill teammates not PTFO? you dont have to camp in the base, you can drive easily CLOSE to the objectives and still do much for the team.
        Yeah maybe you don’t cap every flag or arm mcoms, but who cares if your team wins because you kept the tank alive and shooting at the enemy?
        Also the most important part is engi’s that repair you. Still is the easiest way to keep tanks alive.

• Indi
      April 21st, 2012 at 5:03 am

I disagree with you YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD POSTER, Your a great speaker ^_^ Tanks are meant to be up front covering the infantry, there not suppose to be at the back of the map with zoom optics shooting and luckily killing people USE SMOKE!!! Its very useful because it distracts Javelin missiles, before and after it has fired!
      Infantry will find it hard to advance if the defence team has tanks while the attacking team has none, Tanks ARE SUPPOSE TO BE UP FRONT!!!
      Well thats in my case ^_^ Also do you guys realise that each OP weapon that DICE patches it becomes really Worthless (FAMAS, USAS) AHahaha
      Also this is like the 4th time there patching AA missiles now -_-

• Alpha
      April 21st, 2012 at 5:41 am

The problem is, im sick of people that use it for kills, it’s vital for both infantry and armour to work together, many times i have been driving the amtrac straight into their base and arming it, people need to learn to choose when to go in and when not to.

8. Oleg-Russia
    April 20th, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Old news BF3Blog, i saw this news on mp1st.com long before the patch was out. I almost stoped checking your website,because you are always late with posting news that everybody knows by the time you post them :/

• Timekicker
      April 20th, 2012 at 6:35 pm

They had a post on this weeks ago… You are right… Go somewhere else.

9. smuddy
    April 20th, 2012 at 5:40 pm

its concerning how nerfed this game has become! so one thing gets adressed but so much other still useless? the last patch was alful with most things and now there is grave need for a new full retweaked again patch! consider the recent patch a alpha let alone a beta patch! please adress all the issues dice! release a new complete full over all patch learned from the complaints over your recent patch issues! your support is dwindling away slowly! LISTEN!

• Hellsrage
      April 20th, 2012 at 7:05 pm

This is a server patch they can’t fix all the problem with one only reason they released this fast is because sever patches can be released at will. The full patch will take longer and has to go through an evaluation on consoles.

• Evanx125
      April 21st, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I like the inconsistency weapon and tool inconsistence in the beta, in real life unpredictable events happen on the battlefield and theres luck and bad luck as such, sometimes a man can get shoot 30 times and not die and some die in one bullet for unexplained reasons, they want everything to be scripted and consistent and not take risk, Dice is scared and that is showing they’re trying so much to appeal to new players that they forget about what the game is supposed to be like ,then they go patching stuff that weren’t a problem to begin with and forget about the gamebreakers or wait 3 months to act.

10. ACE SNIPER
    April 20th, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Well this is good know I can let the jeeps rest and star using the tanks again

11. Odlanos
    April 20th, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Nerf this nerf that, what the hell is going on. If something is bad, like not enough tank armor, why don’t take advantage of it? It’s the same for everyone. TV missiles not a 1 hit kill? Yeah, tanks can probably survive a missile like that, and so what? You need 60k (Correct me if i am wrong) XP for the attack helicopters to unlock the tv missile and now they probably suck too. If a weapon is good, they don’t nerf it, they destoy it. 90% of the time they nerf a weapon etc. it’s practically useless. They usally overnerf it so it’s not even worth using afterwards. This just proves how many little things that was wrong with the game from the beginning and how people hate so much different about this game. There are all these new players that’s used to other FPS’s like Call of Duty and Counter Strike etc. where it’s totally different, and when it’s not the game THEY want they have to complain, i liked the game from the start but all this nerfing is starting to make me mad. Updates are ofcourse okay, but the weapon-destroying that’s going on is kind of annoying..

• Twinkie
      April 20th, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I agree. I am still stunned how they could ever nerf the tanks and the repair tool at once – I would say if they brought back either one of them to former strength, it would all be much better. But nerfing both, caused in my opinion a huge disadvantage. I am delighted to see they buff tanks, but at the same time, I hope a TV Missile will still take down a jet, another helicopter and a jeep. That said, I’m afraid it won’t.

12. DOOMZDAYZ
    April 21st, 2012 at 8:04 am

I don’t want to insult DICE’s ability at developing games, but I will insult their ability to patch them. Since launch, they have rolled out patches in the GB’s yet problems still persist. I’m sure they are working hard to make the game reach it’s best, but I would have much rather have the game delayed so they could have worked on it some more. Just my opinion.

13. FDSDH 011i
    April 21st, 2012 at 10:09 am

They fixed the tanks! (well it says armour tweak so I assume they did)

14. Mo3r3
    April 21st, 2012 at 1:06 pm

FUCK THE PATCHES. RUIN the GODDAMN GAME! total BS! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE. HOW, FFS, HOOOOOOOW can u DESTROY a game like this with FUCKING PAAAATCHES?!

15. saccapuce
    April 21st, 2012 at 2:58 pm

it’s a pity for TV missile, pré patch damage will be close to BF2 TV missile…1 hit kill was good.

maybe Too much children crying on BF3..

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
      April 21st, 2012 at 4:14 pm

If DICE nerfed weapons solely on the basis of people complaining about said weapon/vehicle, then everything in Battlefield would be a peashooter.

DICE doesn’t nerf things just because people complain. When a lot of people complain they look into the weapon; not automatically nerf it. When they look into it to see if its over powered, THEN they nerf the weapon IF they deem it to be over powered. The developers rely on their own judgement if its over powered or not; not other players.

Please put this stereotype to rest. I’m getting sick of people making it look like BF3 developers would be stupid enough to step that low. They may not be the best developers ever; but they sure as hell are smarter than to step that low.

• BF3 Sucks
        April 22nd, 2012 at 6:37 am

In 45 minutes on Battlefield 3, I disabled a jeep and killed maybe 2 tanks.
        In 5 minutes on Battlefield 2142, I killed 3 tanks, and APC, 3 drivers, 4 passengers and 2 people coming over the hill to see what all the commotion was about.
        Guess which game I play because it’s actually fun and the heavy weapons aren’t nerfed to appease the little kiddies.
        Guess which game I can play on Ultra graphic setting but don’t because good graphics don’t make a good game.
        Also guess which franchise I’ll never spend money on unless it pertains to PC, only people who like future settings, heavy weapons that actually kill, limited scopes so not everyone is quick sniping, 6 man squads, Commander mode, vehicles with more then 2 view settings, VOIP, and weapons worth having, not some type of useless fodder that has scopes and lasers like all the other guns.
        What a waste of money, what a waste of time.
        PS
        they nerfed TV missile so it’s not a one hit kill? Since when did friggen missiles NOT beable to blow up a tank or other vehicle in one hit? An RPG can ruin a tank in one hit.
        Worthless. Useless. Tweeked for retards. Played by idiots.

16. j35t3r
    April 21st, 2012 at 4:03 pm

how about you also run a story that 80% of australian servers shit themselves 20 times a a day because if the host loses connection with eadice back end it boots all the players since this patch happens every 2 to 5 minutes

17. smuddy
    April 21st, 2012 at 4:04 pm

so i decided to play a bit after slowly weening away from this game do to the issues around it,its developers and publishers,anyway i was in a game for like a half hr and its pathetic,gameplay really bad,nerf war they should call this game,the game full of peeps just whining and complaining,hit detection the worst ever lol one could hit the blind side of a barn blindfolded better then this game.perhaps bf3 the greatest failure ever even topping mw2 how can peeps still support this game? i mean really man you guys play same game as me and it not bother you guys? come on seriously? waste of money and all future games heading down the hole perhaps it is true what peeps say the good old days of pc gammin are long over well this game the capstone! boycott this shitz! lol here come the troll supporters!

• j35t3r
      April 21st, 2012 at 4:58 pm

name a better fps game out there and i might but there isnt one yet even with its bugs its still the best

18. DrZoidberg
    April 21st, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Regardless of the changes, all these patches have done shit to the servers. They’re all still so slow and the problems they cause with hitreg are absurd. Literally every gunfight is a gamble to see which player will have their shots counted. The amount of failed reloads, refunded bullets, and lost hitmarkers are absurd for a game with clientside hitreg. What’s the point in having the client do calculations if the server is just going to fuck up the confirmation and produce the same effect as having server side hitreg?

19. Charlie
    April 21st, 2012 at 6:25 pm

M26 DART. FIX NOW

• flare
      April 21st, 2012 at 9:20 pm

what’s wrong with the m26 dart?

20. L0LLYP0P
    April 21st, 2012 at 7:30 pm

The TV missle should still be 1 hit kill to aircraft. >:(

• Nexnecis
      April 21st, 2012 at 9:59 pm

It still is from what I noticed. 2 shots on tanks and 1 shot on air assets. That was on 4 different servers last night as well.

21. Dennis Pedersen
    April 21st, 2012 at 11:57 pm

AA fix is nonsense,, it is not fixed… I really wonder if dice plays the same game…

22. mm
    April 22nd, 2012 at 12:04 am

”Fixed AA missiles not doing damage to vehicles moving at very high speeds” – Not exactly.. I was just playing bf for about 3 hours and the AA missiles sure did not damage vehicles EVEN if they didn’t move high speed… And another problem; after the patch it looks like my soldier loses even more health when I jump or drop a short distance ! Like 2 meters and almost 50% health lost.

23. Molybdenum
    April 22nd, 2012 at 8:02 am

This is a start to righting the wrong that last patch inflicted, and I am glad they are addressing it. Tanks running from infantry is a sad state of affairs. Sure, if you are stupid enough to take RPGs in the rear of your tank, 2 hits deserve to take you down; but with the last patch it was 2 hits anywhere on the tank and you are down like a bad COD killstreak – it required no effort to kill a tank the proper way – hitting it’s weak spot. I had no issue with the 1-hit TV missle – that’s what it was in BF2, and only good crews could manage it – and good play should be rewarded, the same as getting around to hit a tank in the rear.
    Now they just need to fix the repair tool, because pissing on your vehicle would put the fire out quicker; and put the jet machine guns back to normal strength, because as an expert it is impossible to get a kill before they bail, let alone a poor noob now.

I can’t speak for the infantry, I’ve not played much since the last month’s patch, but I hear that actually hitting someone with a bullet has less vision blurring effect than a missing and causing suppression effect! -don’t know if that’s true, though.

I’m thinking of coming back from MW2 now they’ve fixed the tanks, but there is still more to be done. I am just glad they are starting to listen.
    Use the BF2 balancing: infantry runs from tank; tank runs from chopper; chopper runs from jet; jet runs from AA; AA runs from infantry.
    Let’s enjoy this great game again!

24. brandonian
    April 22nd, 2012 at 12:32 pm

so what about those fucking darts Dice???!

25. roccotaco87
    April 22nd, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I hope this fixes the issue it is quite annoying but besides that I havnt really had many problems with the game before or after the new patch,I feel as though many ppl blame the game for there poor gameplay rather than there lack of skill or knowledge of attachments, squad play etc…. I love this game its hands down the fps I’ve played in a long time