On March 12th, 2012 in News

Xbox 720The current console generation (PS3, Xbox360, Wii) has been around for a while now, and it’s time for something new and more powerful. Over the past year, developers from around the world have lobbied for a new generation of consoles with more power, and at least one console maker has answered the call: Nintendo will be releasing the Wii U later this year, which is said to be about 50% more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360.

As for Sony and Microsoft, we’ve haven’t seen or heard anything yet. That doesn’t stop DICE rendering architect John Andersson from detailing his dream specs for the next gen console. Speaking at GDC, Andersson said that 2 GB of RAM in next generation console wouldn’t be enough (current gen systems have 512 MB). Anderson wants upwards of 8 GB of RAM in new consoles, saying:

“Two gigabytes would not be enough when it comes to RAM Four gigabytes would work. Eight gigabytes? Yeah. I think that would be perfect when it comes to memory.”

Andersson also commented on the native resolution of the new consoles:

“Presumably next-gen consoles will be rendering internally at 1080p, so they’ll need much higher resolution assets than are commonly used for modern games (usually rendered at 720p and scaled up). Also, console lifespans have been getting longer, and presumably the next-gen units have an even longer journey ahead of them. More memory means more future-proofing. Finally, RAM is cheap. You can buy 8GB DDR3 modules for $40 retail. Buy the chips wholesale and it’s easy to imagine the cost for 8GB dropping under $20.”

Some expect both Microsoft and Sony to announce their new consoles at E3 this Summer, while Nintendo will release its Wii U later this Fall.

1. MK
    March 12th, 2012 at 7:50 pm

lets see if the next gen consoles meet this criteria. doubt it

• DotAX
      March 12th, 2012 at 9:31 pm

No matter for me. PC was always the most powerfull.

• liar
        March 12th, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I don’t think Sony/MS will release anything before summer/winter 2013. That’s a long ways off for tech to move, making 8gig of RAM not so difficult. It’s already dirt cheap.

MS will be highly influenced by developers (just as they were with 360), when designing the specs. I suspect we’ll see either 4 or 8 gigs of RAM, and a much newer graphics card than was previously rumoured about, SSD and for the most part, none of these specs will be finalized until much later in the future.

My guess is Sony will delay their machine to guarantee the most powerful of the three. They will probably both cost more than current gen machines.

Buying a console when they first get released is always a fun thing for me, so I’m going to be paying attention to this type of news.

My only concern here really is that DICE seems to have shifted it’s focus quite a bit over the years and isn’t interested in optimizing their games for the PC platform. It’s a shame.

• Colt_Gun
          March 13th, 2012 at 12:42 am

I hope you are right about Sony delaying and building a more powerful machine again, I’ve been a PS player since 1996 and am more than willing to wait a few months for a more powerful machine again, but it didn’t really work as well as they had hoped for them last time…

I have a feeling they are going to change it up a bit this time round. Hopefully not by releasing an inferior machine earlier than MS to get a headstart on sales… That might actually convert me to PC gaming.

• Colt_Gun
        March 13th, 2012 at 12:47 am

“No matter for me. PC was always the most powerfull.”

Don’t try and start a fanboy war here buddy… try a CoD fansite, where you will most likely get mauled by thousands of 12 year old ‘forever alone’s for even mentioning PC.

• maxbox99
      March 12th, 2012 at 9:41 pm

At least they should make it so you can exchange some pieces like a PC. I mean the technology is evolving so fast, it’s almost required. Also with all the 3D comming and all, 2 years after the next gen will be out, it will already feel like old tech…

• Colt_Gun
        March 13th, 2012 at 12:50 am

Nice idea, but it wouldn’t work…

most of the console playerbase are casual, and wouldn’t want an ungrade. That leaves developers with more optimisation to do… one for the vanilla console, one for upgraded consoles… that would just lower the overall quality of all games because 99% of game devs are lazy.

• Implied
      March 12th, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Next-Gen COnsoles need to feature things like a Quad-Core CPU, SLi/CrossFire GPUs and 8GB RAM if they want to last 5-10 years again. There’s no other way. Cell Technology is far outdated and gets outdated too fast. SLi/CrossFire raises the prices, but in the long run ensures the Industry aren’t held back by outdated Boxes as much. Quad-Core CPUs ensure there’s no Bottlenecking.

Rumours have Microsoft shifting focus with the 720 from competing with the PS4 to competing with the upcoming Wii U however, in the more “Casual” Gaming Market. If they do actually go through with that, would explain the shoddy rumoured 6670 GPU they’re testing. Would also make sense from a profits stand-point. Wii has far outsold both the 360 and the PS3 individually. Unfortunately it would probably also mean Sony would slack off on Innovation and Hardware.

There’s also rumours of Steam developing their own Console, claiming if its necessary to further Innovation, they will do it, even though they’d rather leave Hardware Manufacturing to other people.

Sony and Microsoft have both denied Console appearances at E3 2012, so if they don’t show up this year, they’ll definitely be there next year wit a Fall 2013 Release.

• liar
        March 13th, 2012 at 2:59 am

I personally don’t believe the 6670 rumour in the slightest. I have no doubt someone somewhere at that company did some investigating or testing or put it somewhere on a spec sheet. Or perhaps some discussion alluded to a chip similar to it in some way upon release. But in 2013? The card already isn’t great now; I highly doubt it will be in MS’s next console; even if they do try to take Nintendo head on.

Quad-cores shouldn’t be a problem for MS/Sony. I’d expect to see six or eight cores by 2013 on consoles probably.

• Oh- Excuse me?! EXCUSE ME?!
      March 13th, 2012 at 9:40 am

DICE developer talking about his dream CONSOLE specs instead of dream PC specs? Yep, something has gone seriously wrong alright….I fear for all future DICE titles.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
        March 13th, 2012 at 5:24 pm

PC hardware is extremely flexible. Console hardware on the other hand, is not.

Developers, such as DICE, who are making multiple platform games like BF3 have much more space to work with on a PC because the hardware is upgradeable. Consoles on the other hand, are not. Because of this, developers have to work with what they got; so they want the consoles to at the least meet there specified standards for more flexible game development.

• Mr Pink
        March 13th, 2012 at 9:19 pm

You guys (PC players) should make some noise about this so they develop the PC versions of games separately and optimized for the PC. Other games that have already done this are Grand Theft Auto IV and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

• Implied
          March 14th, 2012 at 1:20 am

Not the best examples. Arkham City was accompanied by a delay on the PC version and yes, we got some DX11 features such as Tessellation but the main focus was PhysX, which was completely pointless as well since all it did was add some trash and leaves on the ground.

Arkham Asylum was in a similar situation. PhysX was a big focus, and while we got some Graphical improvements, they weren’t very big. Many Games still deliver High-Res Textures (ME3 for example) but beyond that they don’t even try.

GTA started delivering terrible Console Ports to PC players a long time ago. We get Mod Tools at least.

2. smurfy
    March 12th, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Should have at least 10 gigs of RAM if we’re going to be stuck with it for as long as we’ve been stuck with the current gen

3. Marvin C.
    March 12th, 2012 at 7:53 pm

What about processor speed – did he say? O.O

• Tenzing
      March 12th, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I heard (for the next xbox) that it was gonna have six core cpu, Gpu is a Dx11Amd/Ati 6670 card or a prototype Amd/Ati dual Gpu, with 2Gb Drr3.

• liar
        March 13th, 2012 at 3:06 am

Rumours about MS/Sony’s next console at this point is almost pointless as far as accurate info goes. Entertaining sure, but not reliable. They changed their specs quite late in previous consoles. It depends on how the tech market goes. So I wouldn’t put too much trust in just about anything you hear at this point.

• Tenzing
          March 13th, 2012 at 4:47 pm

That why I said “I heard” not “Its going to be”.

• EnzoDan
        August 1st, 2012 at 11:59 am

What’s drr3?

4. COLDKILL
    March 12th, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I would imagine Microsoft and Sony announcing next gen consoles at E3, especially after the Wii U launches. Just to have their current customers hold off a little longer to keep from buying the 50% more powerful Wii U.

• Implied
      March 12th, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Different Developers focus on the Wii/Wii U compared to the PS3 and 360. Microsoft and Sony both know this.

• COLDKILL
        March 13th, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Some do, most don’t.

5. Sedargo
    March 12th, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I don’t want box 540/720. Microsoft better go straight to Xbox 1080. NO questions asked.

6. DIRK
    March 12th, 2012 at 7:59 pm

That’s why all the hardcore gamers use the wii

• Zarwil
      March 12th, 2012 at 8:33 pm

The xbox/ps3 have been out for 6/5 years. 50% more power is NOTHING compared to how much the technology improves in 6/5 years.

• liar
        March 13th, 2012 at 3:08 am

hehe no kidding. 50% is sorta silly to get excited about. By all mean be happy about a new Nintendo system for the games if you like that sorta thing. But the hardware? It’s the same thing Nintendo has been doing for the last few gens: basically half a generation behind everyone else in terms of tech. I’m not criticizing them for that. That business model works for them. But it’s nothing people should get too excited about in terms of impressive tech.

7. David
    March 12th, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Just a waste of money buying a consolol anyway, I wish I never got mine, just collects dust, and acts as a footrest.

• Bloody Ghillie
      March 12th, 2012 at 8:20 pm

*sigh* Who the fuck cares?!

• J
        March 12th, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Exactly. Who the f*ck cares about consoles and DICE.

They were developing BF3 for PC (which arguably has ~8GB RAM minimum as an average) and yet they still gave us a sh!t game full of bugs.DICE, don’t talk to me about ‘ideal platforms’ until you learn how to develop a game properly you useless sh!ts. Oh yea, and we all remember that you lied about PC as the prime dev platform, and only owned up AFTER people bought the game – when they complained about the obvious shortcomings and obvious port side effects.

• Bloody Ghillie
          March 13th, 2012 at 1:10 am

Not what I was talking about…

• 82
          March 13th, 2012 at 1:56 am

I don’t know what you are talking about. The consoles are really held back compared to the PC.
          For one, the PC has 64 players. I think even the PS3 might have a little trouble with the 64 and all the rest it has to load. No doubt for the xbox but, I believe that both consoles should have been able to make it to 32.

Second, for conquest PC has 5+ flags. Freaking. I don’t know what DICE was thinking when they did that. After they tested Console with 5 flags and it worked with no problem. They still didn’t up date the flags for the rest of the maps… It really irritates me. Operations fire storm still only 3 flags… what a joke.

Third, Vehicle count. I doubt I need explain.

Fourth, and most know graphics. Yes, the PS3 might not have missed out on that as much as xbox did but it doesn’t really matter.

The point is that when you say “you(DICE) lied about PC as the prime dev platform” the console has a lot of short comings compared to the console. DICE has all these abilitys to upgrade the console so much and has not does it yet. Why? I don’t know. But, to be completely honest. If all they do is upgrade flags and 32 plays I will be one of the happiest people ever.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
      March 12th, 2012 at 9:43 pm

“Waste of money”

For you; maybe. But you shouldn’t talk for all of us.

If you don’t like your purchase then I’m sorry to hear that, but don’t speak for others.

After all, I’ve gotten so much moneys worth out of my console that I could go buy another 6 consoles, or in today’s economy, a half gallon of gas. So it was definitely worth what I paid.

• liar
        March 12th, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Yeah I agree completely. Consoles are great gaming investments if you don’t mind the interface. I play equally on PC and console (more on PC these days because console games are looking pretty dated now). $ with consoles takes the gamer pretty darn far for the first few years in the life cycle.

I’ll be lined up when the new gen of consoles arrive (MS/Sony that is because they have the type of games I like) if they have the games I want. I’m a gamer, I go where the games are. I couldn’t care less about being a walking talking advertiser for consoles/PC fanboys. If it’s got quality games, I want the platform.

It’s a shame people can’t enjoy the hobby for itself; they need to manifest “brand loyalty” or platform loyalty.

Play games and enjoy it.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
          March 12th, 2012 at 11:48 pm

@ myself

The “half a tank of gas” was a bad joke if you didn’t get it.

My point is that I got more use out of my console then I thought I ever would, so I’m more than happy for the price I paid for it.

8. Bf2Guy
    March 12th, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Maybe consoles will be upgradeable like
    Pc? And also there is the steam
    Box console soon.

• Zarwil
      March 12th, 2012 at 8:47 pm

They’ve officially confirmed that the rumors are fake! They just said that if the HAVE to get into the console market they will.

• Implied
        March 12th, 2012 at 11:52 pm

They said they’re a long time off from showing anything. Their main focus right now is that other Technology they’re working on, whatever its called.

• MEK22
      March 12th, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Wouldn’t work. A console is more effective at games than a computer with similar specs because the games are programmed for just one type of hardware. Makeing them upgradable would break this and make consoles just very bad PC:s.

• No1knowsME
      March 12th, 2012 at 11:48 pm

if you want a upgradeable console buy a pc.. -_-
      Idiot problems… great solutions

9. pvt. pudding
    March 12th, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I read that the Xbox720 will not use DVD gaming discs, but flash drive cartridges.

• Implied
      March 12th, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Another rumour has it getting a Blu-Ray Player.

10. Bloody Ghillie
    March 12th, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I heard they’re not announcing the next-gen consoles (xbox & ps) this E3, I heard next year, I don’t know where I heard that maybe from Sony.

• Implied
      March 12th, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Microsoft and Sony both stated their Next-Gen Consoles won’t be making an appearance at this year’s E3.

But then again, Sony is denying they’re even working on a PS4 while they keep talking about how they want to launch the PS4 before the 720, so make of that whatever you will.

• Bloody Ghillie
        March 13th, 2012 at 1:13 am

I’m just wondering how the whole change will happen, the servers would be left to those who either don’t wan’t a next-gen console or to those who can’t pay for it.

• Implied
          March 13th, 2012 at 2:51 am

Consoles will sell themselves based on their Lineups. 360 launched with a new Halo Game, saw a lot of Halo Fans converting to the 360 to play the new Halo. Halo 5 will be 720 I’m betting, so question being if it’ll be there at launch or not. Gears of War 4, etc. would also help sell the 720 to new people.

PS4 would sell itself with Games like Uncharted 4, Dust 514 support etc. Its all about the exclusives in the beginning. Then it slowly becomes about what Games support the new Consoles. I’m sure Microsoft will pushing Activision to drop PS3/360 in favor of the 720. Might even launch with a CoD Game. Would be quite a selling point. CoD dropping 360/PS3 support will be a major factor in a lot of people upgrading to new Consoles. Fans who don’t really care for the updated Graphics will wait for incentive basically, and that’s what Sony and Microsoft need to provide.

• liar
          March 13th, 2012 at 3:13 am

I’m going to guess that Halo 5 won’t be a launch title. A new Forza, Perfect Dark (hehe), Fable, Gears, something like that. But with Halo 4 sloted for xmas 2012, I don’t think Halo 5 will make an appearance until 2014. Just guessing.

• Implied
          March 13th, 2012 at 6:18 am

While Gears seems more likely, as there’s a bigger Development Window, Epic hasn’t even confirmed its working on a new Gears yet, so idk. Although, could be.

Halo yeah most likely not. They could be planning a 720 Port or something though, at least. Fable seems unlikely however, as the upcoming Fable Game has already been confirmed for the 360 and is also coming in 2012. Unless they port that one too.

Definitely a CoD Game though, especially if they do announce at E3 and launch in the Fall. Can always expect CoD in November… Hm.

• Majik
      March 13th, 2012 at 12:05 am

I gurantee my left nut that MS will show off a next gen console at E3 maybe not the whole console itself but a least something. Sony however, I have my doubts.

• liar
        March 13th, 2012 at 6:08 am

I could see them possibly showing a tech demo on entirely PC parts (which is all the xbox is anyway) to give people “an idea” of what the next xbox is going to be capable of. But I can’t see anything beyond a tech demo. They’ll want to hype up Halo 4 mostly this E3. Expect Halo 4 to take centre stage for MS.

11. Tacticx95
    March 12th, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I thought they where announcing the ps4 in. 2016 or in 2015

12. SuckMa FAT won
    March 12th, 2012 at 8:41 pm

im waiting for the ps6… but by then ill be in my eighties

• Swedish.Catfish
      March 13th, 2012 at 11:49 am

Sadly you are right, if they keep relasing them like this we will all be old. I’m 17 by the time ps4 is out i’ll probably be 19-20 wich is pissing me off

13. General Spoofing
    March 12th, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Why the hell are they talking about next gen consoles here and that by DICE itself linked to Battlefield? Are you crazy? Are you admiting to it with this story that you knew when you started this mess on consoles it wouldn’t have worked at all in the first place for the consoles? You could have told us before releasing your fancy videos rendered by HIGH-END computers to promote it. I surely wouldn’t have bought it. Multi-platforms have to be tailor-made not just ported to any other platform. Is the game graficly too HEAVY for one, just reduce some of it to make it work properly. We want serious gameplay, not some nice picture to walk through. And SONY and MICROSOFT will decide for themselfs what to do or not. You only have to make it run smooth, that’s all. For everyone who buys your products on every platform, right now. Not in a near future. We have heard too much of that already. Go wash your mouth with soap.

• Nope
      March 13th, 2012 at 12:57 am

You are a idiot. Everyone with common sense knew that those vids and pics are from the PC footage. DICE and the media/press always said that it is PC footage. It’s your fault for being foolish and thinking that it’s console footage when consoles can’t even come close to looking that good cause they are not as powerful. Also the game runs fine on consoles so shut up.

14. ZoM_Head
    March 12th, 2012 at 9:09 pm

This is utter bs. PCs never recommend more than 4 GB DDR3 RAM. 1.5-2GB for windows alone (64 bit system) and anything from 900MB to 1.5 GB for games.

I have never seen any program or game use more than that, mind you i have 12GB 1600Mhz DDR3 installed.

Why on earth would a console require 8GB to be “perfect”?? really?

DICE, get you’re butts back in the studio, code the game right, fix the horrible hit detection and performance along with the bugs, then start talking utter jubberish.

• Def ReFleX
      March 12th, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Dude did you even read the article?

” Also, console lifespans have been getting longer, and presumably the next-gen units have an even longer journey ahead of them. More memory means more future-proofing.”

I imagine 8GB of ram will be on the lower end of the scale in 5-10 years.

• Liar
        March 13th, 2012 at 10:30 pm

It’s astonishing to me how shortsighted people are with hardware specs. Who cares what games use now. The point is they WILL need 8gigs in the future. And this is about future-proofing the next gen of consoles.

I suspect you already know this however, since you have so much RAM in your computer. So, did it just slip your mind or are you trolling?

15. General Spoofing
    March 12th, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Battlefield 3, successor to Battlefield 2, only playable on high-end PC’s. Consoles won’t be powerful enough to play the game on, right now. Sorry for the time and your money spend on it. See you on the the next-gens. Bye.

16. Trollzor
    March 12th, 2012 at 9:26 pm

PS4 will be sweet *drools* Just hope we get the features the PS3 needed from the start :D

• Trollzor
      March 12th, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Oh btw they fixed the B2K weapon glitches that happen with the sniper rifle and the LMG. All you have to is re-download the expansion pack on March 13, tomorrow.

17. Helysandoval23
    March 12th, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I believe sony will go high specs on next console, console gaming will always have that handicap not being upgrade able but, I enjoy my console as much as you guys enjoy your PCs, but I have to agree this consoles (ps3,360) feel dated now, so, sony please blow our minds off this E3, and give us a decent machine for 400$ bucks. BF4 on next gen surely is an eyegasm bf3 is already an eyegasm on PC only

• Implied
      March 13th, 2012 at 12:01 am

Probably 500$ price tag actually, with about 800-1000$ worth of Hardware inside of it, same as PS3 at launch.

18. Stocastico
    March 12th, 2012 at 9:42 pm

MS will chose once again the path of edram. And for 3 frame buffers @ 1080p, you just need a bit less than 30MB. Do they want stereoheadaches? 64MB are a shitload-enough.

Why wold they want 8GB of dram? Consoles don’t work like PCs do.

Plus it’s quite clear that this round console designers are going down the path of cheap hardware, and they don’t want to lose any money any more on their swag.

• liar
      March 12th, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Well, the more RAM the better, especially for future proof stuff. Still, what you say here is important. Consoles don’t need RAM in the same way that PCs do. So people shouldn’t really freak out over consoles having less stats than PCs. When consoles first get released they put out some spectacular graphics with much less impressive paper stats than PCs.

Still, higher RAM is always better. Anything that gives developers more to play with is a good thing.

19. General Spoofing
    March 12th, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Did they succeed to bring out BF3 succesfully on the consoles? Or will it be revealed that it had been better to save this for the next-gens? That is what I’m reading here at the top. Shame on you DICE.

20. PaPaS DoNuTZz
    March 12th, 2012 at 10:01 pm

The consoles need to have the saem specs or better as a decent gaming rig capable of playing Bf3. This way, when 2143 comes out we can have MORE than 64 players. From what I heard, on good PC’s Dice could have gone w/ 256 players 0_o Imagine that.

• liar
      March 12th, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Perhaps, but it’s a pretty lame excuse for DICE, if they do in fact give it as an excuse, to limit the number of people playing on PC because of the limitations of other platforms.

• Def ReFleX
      March 12th, 2012 at 11:40 pm

The limit on player count also has to do with bandwidth limits set by Sony/MS.

• MEK22
        March 13th, 2012 at 5:41 pm

The main reason is however insufficient specs on the consoles. Just think about how the consoles struggle with the B2K maps. What would happen if there were 2 times more players. The frames would drop even further down. Also think about the amount of explosions on Metro the gameplay would simply become a slideshow on consoles.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
      March 12th, 2012 at 11:43 pm

DICE, assuming they actually tested it, stated that it is indeed possible for BF3 to play 256 players, but they said that it “just isn’t fun”.

The reason why it isn’t fun at that point is because of vicious circle concept:

In a nutshell; maps are designed to hold a certain amount of players. Put too many players in that map; the carnage becomes overwhelming and just isn’t very fun. Put too little; and it’s a ghost town.

But put 256 players onto a 256 sized player map? It would still feel like 64 VS. 64 people because the map is designed to hold 256 players. But how does that make sense?

I’ll try to explain; In a normal 64 player map, you don’t see ALL of the 64 players running around all at one time. You may only see about 7-20 roughly of your team and the enemy combined. But why is this? Simply because the 64 players aren’t all in one place on that map. They’re spread out going for different objectives, in different places.

The same concept applies to no matter how many players you have. If you have; 24, 64, 256, or even 12 million (good God); if the map is designed to hold that player amount, then you won’t get the full feel of that many players on one map.

The only real way to break this vicious circle is to make the map smaller than the player count; but even then it still needs balance, so it falls right back into the vicious circle all over again.

As it stands, because of this vicious circle, the sweet spot is 64 players. Any more and you wouldn’t really notice it, if the map is designed to compensate for the amount of extra players.

21. YourAverageGamer
    March 12th, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I dont think MS or Sony will reveal new consoles at E3 this year, they need to wait until after the WiiU is out to finalise specs. Even when they do, there won’t be any new consoles from them until 2014 at the earliest.

22. JMoney
    March 12th, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I really hope they load up the new consoles to be extremely powerful, not necessarily because I’m going to play on console but b/c consoles have been holding pc gaming up for a while. PCs have the ability to do so much more and its a shame when consoles are used as the lead platform.

23. Tenzing
    March 13th, 2012 at 12:20 am

I hope this E3 Ms will actually announce the next gen xbox (or at least a new first party game) and not the shitty kiddy Kinect games.

24. ACESNIPER
    March 13th, 2012 at 12:34 am

Everythings is ok about new generation consoles but I hope they let us keep playing our old games on this new consoles…

• liar
      March 13th, 2012 at 3:01 am

Oh they’ll let you, but you’ll probably have to download them via their marketplace/app store, etc…

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
      March 13th, 2012 at 3:18 am

They may design the new consoles to allow you to play PS1-PS4 games, same thing with Xbox.

The ‘fat’ older PS3′s can run PS1 to PS3 games, but unfortunately not the newer ones.

25. bob
    March 13th, 2012 at 2:17 am

lol next-gen my ass, most pc are way more powerful already

• Liar
      March 13th, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Oh, you’re one of those people who think paper specs actually matter regardless of functional priority. Unlike PCs, consoles are built from the ground up to prioritize gaming; they don’t need to be as powerful, not even close, to produce the same results in gaming.