On February 17th, 2012 in News

A couple of days ago, we reported DICE is still working on the PS3 input lag issue that has frustrated many PS3 gamers.

Alan Kertz, Core gameplay designer for BF3 has suggested a fix in his twitter post. According to him, it seems related to specific TV setups.

As he stated:

“If you are experiencing PS3 input lag, please check that your TV is in game mode. We have just fixed a laggy PS3 by enabling game mode.”

However, many PS3 gamers are not buying it and believe the input lag problem to be with the game and not the TV.

As one user Danny Rich puts it:

“Same TV, both on game mode, BF3 on PS3 has input lag, the 360 doesn’t. It’s the only MP FPS game I have w/input lag. Its the game.”

1. Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
    February 17th, 2012 at 6:23 am

“…PS3 has input lag, the 360 doesn’t”

I’m no tech guru, but that seems like a obvious sign that it’s either the game itself, or the actual console. But it’s still odd how the fix works for some players, but not all of them.

• Trollzor
      February 17th, 2012 at 6:37 am

It could be the game i agree. But how am i playing the game then? i have a 50″ Plasma but i have never seen lag in the beta or final game. Do i have lag but i just don’t notice then? Does every copy have this problem on BF3(PS3) ?

• Big_Bubbaloola
        February 17th, 2012 at 10:02 am

Why the hell were you voted down dude? I assume your being honest, so judging by the votes, as you don’t have the problem they are saying your a bad man!?!?!

I weep for some people.

• Bloody Ghillie
          February 17th, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Most times on here I really don’t agree why people would dislike comments who speak the truth, but hey! What are you going to do? Just don’t complain, you’ll get downvoted yourself, just keep on scrolling…

• TheLordVoldemort
      February 17th, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’m not trying to start a flame war (please, please don’t reply to me flaming…) but maybe the PS3 isn’t as ‘strong’ or ‘powerful’ as it’s hyped to be.

Maybe it is stronger, but there is some huge problem Sony has. From what we can see, the Sony Playstation 3 has input lag with their own Sony patented Dualshock controllers, and the person suggested a fix with their Sony TV.

However, it could be because BF3 is running off of a Blu-Ray Disk (although, that can be linked to Sony, considering they are probably the #1 promoter of B-R).

I’d like to hear some other anecdote of people having input lag, and if they have a Sony TV or a (non-Sony) brand TV :)

• Majik
        February 17th, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Could be right. I always thought that the PS3 cell processor was a double edge sword; Powerful if all the SPE’s are working properly but a nuisance if even one doesn’t want to come to the table.

Now I think the problem could be either one of two things:

1) The cell processor is struggling to anaylise the user’s control input while at the same time taken a lot of the processing load off the PS3 underwhelming graphic card causing a bottle neck of info that will show up as lag to the user.

OR

2) The control input coding is not being processed correctly or efficiently enough due to poor/wrong programing of the SPE’s by DICE.

In the END we don’t know what the problem is and the PS3 crowd need to continue waiting until DICE develope a patch or accept that it might never be fixed.

• JuveOG
        February 17th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Dont ever bash on play station I will find you just kidding lol I have no problems with lag either and is that patch coming out soon and does anyone agree with me on this I HATE FRAG ROUNDS!!

• phinn
        February 23rd, 2012 at 4:39 am

No. Bad Company 1 and Bad Company 2 had no input lag like Battlefield 3. Battlefield 3 on the PS3 is almost unplayable because of it. It’s bad enough the game runs at 30fps (instead of 60fps like COD), but the input lag makes it even worse. This game is a major step down from the Bad Company series.

• Cammanron
      February 17th, 2012 at 1:23 pm

My input issues aren’t so much as lag, but more of a weird accelleration… from slowly moving the stick to a bit quicker, the screen really jumps, and then when I correct it, it jumps the same way… it makes aiming really difficult.

Try flicking the left controller stick to the left or right… I mean a real quick flick. my screen jumps and sometimes, it jumps and ends up back where it started… that Mr. Kertz is NO lag.

• Ackack
        February 17th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

That’s a sensitivity issue, not a lag issue. You can change that under options.

• Cammanron
          February 17th, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Well, duh!… I am aware of that… If I adjust it, then the normal movement is way too sluggish. The controls for BFBC2 were A HELLAVA lot more controllable.

There is too much disparity between the ADS control and non ADS….

• AL_GR33N_
        February 19th, 2012 at 11:18 am

I experienced that a few times. Mostly when in vehicle. In my case, I would try to turn the turret, but it would spin really quickly then “flick” back to where I was. Couldn’t turn away from straight on.

Asked if anyone in the house was downloading. Mate was streaming through Sky Go I think. He stopped, problem fixed.

I’ve been able to recreate the issue by starting a heavy stream while in a vehicle.

As to lag, I’ve never experienced it, other than when switching to a different TV (I move my PS3 around a LOT). I have run it through at least 8 different TVs and many showed lag until I changed some settings in the TV. I NEVER had to do anything in the PS3.

As far as lag though, my thinking is that if it were either the game or the console, then EVERYONE would experience it. The fact that not everyone experiences this suggests it is neither. That doesn’t mean the default response of turn on game mode on TV is the answer either. But it is surely something which VARIES from set up to set up.

2. larsson
    February 17th, 2012 at 6:25 am

Its good that they try to get a fix, but this sounds like he puts the blame on the tv:s. Waddup console players holla at me =)

• THE_FUN_POLICE_
      February 17th, 2012 at 9:49 pm

At first, I didn’t understand why they chose Jay-Z and his “99 Problems” song……its all making sense now. 99 problems and my tv aint 1!

3. marcus
    February 17th, 2012 at 6:26 am

Its good that they try to get a fix, but this sounds like he puts the blame on the tv:s. Waddup console players holla at me.. =)

4. the pope touched me
    February 17th, 2012 at 6:26 am

• Bloody Ghillie
      February 17th, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Aw not this repetition shit again..

5. Oh- Excuse me?! EXCUSE ME?!
    February 17th, 2012 at 7:12 am

Sure sure, blame the users and their TV. Seriously, I wonder how low DICE can get. This is pathetic.

• Big_Bubbaloola
      February 17th, 2012 at 10:06 am

Actually they’ve done something like this before with BFBC2, but on PC. Some people were having a particular issue (I can’t remember what exactly now, maybe an onboard sound issue) and DICE blamed the hardware. They provided a workaround but that only cured the problem for some people.

DICE then pretty much refused to address the same problem people were still having, referring them back to the previous answer.

Horses for courses i’m afraid.

• Oh- Excuse me?! EXCUSE ME?!
        February 17th, 2012 at 11:13 am

PCs have a much broader range of hardware available than a PS3. Every PS3 has almost the exact same specs. I don’t know, but I thought, that making a fix for a console was easier than making one for the PC platform?

Even if PC players were the ones having this problem I still wouldn’t think of this as a proper workaround, but they can’t even solve this problem for the consoles, and blame the user and the TV they use? Why don’t they start advertising TV brands and specific types while they’re at it… -_-

I’m really starting to lose my last vestiges of hope when it comes to DICE.

• Ackack
      February 17th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I’m a technician at a high tech company, and 9 times out of ten, a problem that a customer is having is due to their own errors or due to the setup of the system they are using. I’m pretty sure that the guys at DICE have tested various fixes, and if they say that this is a way to fix, or at least improve the situation, we should probably give them the benefit of the doubt and at least TRY their fix.

6. arendsb
    February 17th, 2012 at 7:50 am

Whats funny is that players previously thinking that it “fixed the issue” then tried it on Xbox, and saw that they were still experiencing the lag.

“GAME MODE” isn’t a fix.

Check MP1st for more updates on this.

7. zman
    February 17th, 2012 at 8:06 am

This fix might work for the people who only play BF3. if game mode was disabled then every game they played shouldve had input lag.

8. Lagged
    February 17th, 2012 at 8:27 am

How did they came up with this “solution”.. waited four months and then try it on a different tv?

Oh.. and it dosen’t fix the lag, not for me or anyone I know.

9. Marcarrelus
    February 17th, 2012 at 8:48 am

very nice DICE, it’s the tv’s fault…

10. iRunwithWolves
    February 17th, 2012 at 9:00 am

No, No officer, i didnt willing kill that person, God made me do it………… YOU SEE THE FUKIN LAME EXCUSES!!! what the fuk is this crok of pisz

11. bret
    February 17th, 2012 at 9:00 am

sorry im not very techie. but what is input lag?

• iRunwithWolves
      February 17th, 2012 at 9:05 am

where shit happens to early or late after an action is taken, persay you are running n you go to stop but your dude moves a step more after you stopped …. follow … : /

• bret
        February 17th, 2012 at 11:52 am

ooohh so that’s why when i aim down the sight at my opponent and it swings left and right super crazy.

12. Indi
    February 17th, 2012 at 9:04 am

DICE, your getting as worse as the CoD Developers…Fix the MAV roadkill fags and USAS-12 Frag rounds while your at it will ya? It isn’t hard at all!!! Your just lazy, But by now Im still playing Bad Company2!
    The only thing i like about Bf3 are the graphics, some weapons and the Jets (Destruction Is absolute shit compared to Bad company 2) and you guys said you’ve spent 6 years making this game, Doesn’t look like it !!! -_-

• Bloody Ghillie
      February 17th, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Actually its more difficult than you think, on the MAV issue, DICE has two choices:
      1. Take the roadkilling out of the game and piss all the people that use the MAV for that, take out the Dog Tags, and stats.
      2. Leave the roadkilling and piss off people like you & me. Except there is a solution to this, shoot it!

• Ryukuruyu
        February 18th, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Well shooting down a MAV is IMPOSSIBLE due to the Input lag. I mean, of course we still have the heat seeking missile launchers but really, do you really want to waste a missile on a MAV while there may be a helicopter flying killing your team?

• TheLordVoldemort
          February 19th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

In the world of Battlefield, almost nothing is more hilarious than the MAV user hearing a long lock on sound and then, after the MAV is destroyed, seeing them say on PC chat or hearing them over console VOIP,
          “WTF!? How the fuck did my MAV die!?”

LULz ensue.

13. Indi
    February 17th, 2012 at 9:06 am

DICE, your getting as worse as the CoD Developers…Fix the MAV roadkill and USAS-12 Frag rounds while your at it will ya?Recons are getting worse and worse by each game, It isn’t hard at all!!! Your just lazy, But by now Im still playing Bad Company2!

• Asgaro
      February 17th, 2012 at 9:59 am

Why are you angry about the MAV? Don’t stand still or camp and you won’t die because of MAV roadkills.
      I have played right around 100 hours of MP and only been killed 1 time by MAV.

• Henry
        February 17th, 2012 at 3:30 pm

it dosent only go after campers idk how many times i was on a mcom defusing only to get pushed off by a flying toaster oven MAV’s are cheap and ruin the experience

• Ken J
          February 17th, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Well, technically speaking, if a UAV ran into you, it’ll probably hurt or maybe even kill you in real life… Don’t see why it wouldn’t in the game. What should it do? Magically bounce off or magically go through you??

• Indi
        February 17th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Maybe because recons don’t use it as there suppose to…But on console I don’t camp, I run, and MAVs just keep following me and its annoying as hell
        MAV roadkill ruin the game…recons in Battlefield are getting useless by each game -_-

• TOCS
          February 17th, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Recons is actually pretty well balanced in BF3, compared to BC2. They’re supposed to be outside of gunfire and spot enemies, and snipe from long distances. Not this quickscoping CoD bullshit you see in BC2.

• pavelbure
        February 17th, 2012 at 11:40 pm

This guy responds to every article with this “fix the mav” nonsense. Just look at past articles and it’s always him.

• Ken J
        February 18th, 2012 at 1:54 pm

@Asgaro

Yah, I’m at around 90 hours and think I’ve probably only been killed by the MAV once…

• Big_Bubbaloola
      February 17th, 2012 at 10:09 am

Ya do realise that they’ve only got one maybe two people working on these fixes now, right?

Poor old Alan is pretty much on his lonesome now, as he was with having to fix BFBC2.

14. xIAMDAVEx-NZ
    February 17th, 2012 at 9:37 am

wow seriously? 4 months later and all they say is it’s your tv?
    ofcourse I play in game mode. but it still has shocking input lag. Since launch I have been playing the game in 576p to reduce the lag because it’s simply unplayable at full reso. even if you take out some of the bloom effect or something to stop the lag I’d be happy.

15. TOCS
    February 17th, 2012 at 9:50 am

DICE reminds me of ghey.

• TOCS
      February 17th, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Lots from DDF on this site apparently.. “don’t loose faith in DICE, cuz they’re obviously doing their best”, bullshit.

16. Colt_Gun
    February 17th, 2012 at 10:30 am

At least they acknowlegde that the issue exists… I know a certain other game developer who would probably deny that any bugs exist in thier game at all, even though they definately do.

Also, if this fixes the problem for some people then what is wrong? I am sure once they realise that it didn’t work for the majority they will try something else, but at least for the time being some people can fix it.

DICE are not “Blaming the TV setup” they are just trying to narrow the problem down by making sure people aren’t giving them more data (T.V brands, game regions, PS3 models, whatever…) to analyse and find the real problem, when really they just havn’t set up their TV right. Just because it dosn’t immediately fix YOUR problem does not mean it is bad news…

17. Alkanida
    February 17th, 2012 at 10:50 am

wtf is going with dice? do they really think we are that stupid? goddamit, i am using the same setup like i did in beta. it is not a tv problem.

18. Vidoviti Milan
    February 17th, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Well here where i live,peoples are so poor thar i’m still playing on crt tv,two weeks ago i’ve got a Color tv and i’m so happy with it…but still have lag issues like on my previous black/white tv,so in that Quadro color tv can’t be the problem because its only 2 years old tv and have a 3 year guarante,so thats why i’m thinking it’s the problem with a broken Bf3 beta game…

• Uncle Sam
      February 17th, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Your previous TV is not black/white…it’s you, always taking fire until the screen gets grey

19. Psykofreak
    February 17th, 2012 at 3:19 pm

No input lag at all for me.. LG 50″ plasma 1080p.. Game mode or not, no input lag at all.. Getting input lag when not on game mode only with GTA IV when there are a lot of action going on, but else than that.. no lag, not with BF3 even with game mode off.. Hope they fix this with people that have input lag.. !!

20. Hadoken
    February 17th, 2012 at 3:35 pm

PC please? where’s the patch?

21. Uncle Sam
    February 17th, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I don’t care about ps3 player’s input lag. PC players are the true fans of Battlefield, and the only ones that deserves attention.

• 82
      February 17th, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Please don’t use the name Uncle Sam. Come up with something a little more original. Heck I don’t even care if it letters mixed with numbers but that is just insulting that you go and be an elitist using that name.

And just because people can’t afford a up-to-date computer to run every new game does not make them any less worth to play BF3. I got my Xbox because I couldn’t afford buying a new PC $100+ part every month or so.
      At least with my Xbox I know that if I get a new game for it, it will work.

I’m not trying to be a big meanie or anything but why do you all think just because you can afford something that makes you more worth then any of the rest of us?

And before you say “Sell your console, TV, and PC and get a good computer.” If I did that, the most, MOST I would get out of selling it all would maybe be $300 Non of that I have with worth ANYTHING. My computer is older then shit, my console is the ORIGINAL, my TV is on its last legs. So tell me? Why are so much better then me, or anyone who has a console?

• Bloody Ghillie
        February 17th, 2012 at 9:23 pm

You can get a decent Quad-Core PC that can run BF3 on Ultra (with some minor changes) for 300$.

• 82
          February 17th, 2012 at 10:06 pm

But how long would that work for me in the long run? Think about it. once they come out with a new one that old PC is going to be crap and I will have to go out and buy A new one… No I’m sorry but I’m not leaving all my friends and games I have for my xbox to just for a short time play Battlefield 3 with better graphics.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
          February 17th, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I’m by no means trying to jump into this flame war…but $300 for a computer to run BF3 on ULTRA graphics? You must be getting some god-like deals while buying used parts with a discount price.

Because most people buy at retail price, and don’t want to wait until the next Christmas for some website to put up some awesome discounts; here are the normal prices for a computer parts. These parts are the RECOMMENDED system requirements to run BF3, and even they can’t run it on full-blown ultra.

Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3
          -OS: Windows 7 64-bit = $89

-Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU = AMD 3.0 Ghz 4 core = $100

- RAM: 4GB = $20

-Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950. Graphics card memory: 1 GB.
          Price for Radeon 6950 1GB = $228

-Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card= $50

- Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version
          Basic 500 GB hard drive= $50

Total cost= $537

That’s only for the video card, processor, hard drive, Operating System, RAM and sound card. If you’re building your own computer, you would have to throw in the price of a power supply, motherboard, and case. Not to mention a computer monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.

“You’re just looking in the wrong place!”
          All those prices were taken from Amazon and Newegg, along with looking at over 40 store prices on Google, and looking at my local computer store’s prices. They all averaged out to the prices I posted, and those are even considered the “budget” brand hardware.

“You just need to wait for them to go on sale!”
          Granted, some stores may have some amazing deals from time to time; the average consumer doesn’t want to wait until a major holiday for it to go on sell, and it doesn’t mean that the product they want will go on sell either.

So my points are that not everyone know where to get spectacular deals, or are willing to wait. Some people don’t know how to build a computer in the first place, and have to drop a few more hundred dollars to get one pre-built for them, and $300 will by no means be enough to run BF3 on ultra graphics. Maybe on low or even medium, but not nearly enough to hit ultra.

• Uncle Sam
        February 18th, 2012 at 1:38 am

as original as ’82′?

• 82
          February 18th, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Sorry but do you see many people going around with the name 82? Or even Eighty-two? And If you have, how much do you wanna bet that person you saw, was me?

I only use 82/Eighty-two when I’m in chats. This is to help me not be trolled 24/7 no matter where I go because I was an idiot and use the same name for everything.

I’m sure Uncle same isn’t your first name either.

• M.O.A.B.
      February 17th, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Of course PC users deserves all the attention! Afterall, it’s not like if BF3 sold more on consoles then on PC! And it’s not like if the last few Battlefield games were only on PC! And it’s not like if DICE knew that the bread & butter of BF3′s sales was going to be on consoles! /SARCASM

22. DICE_Is_Incompetent
    February 17th, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Alan Kertz is an idiot! I can’t believe that after four months, DICE still has the nerve to blame TVs, and not their own stupid, broken game! Every other game I play on my TV run just fine, except BF3. It’s the game! Fix it or I’m done with Battlefield!

23. eFunk25
    February 17th, 2012 at 8:48 pm

TV Issue? LOL
    My TV works just fine for every game I play on the PS3. BF3 hard freezes and rubber bands almost every time I play now. These issues weren’t happening a few months ago.

This is the same story they gave use for the Chat. “It is a hardware issue.” Yet all my other PS3 games have chat that works. Then they come out with a patch and it works. Stop pointing fingers and just fix the issues DICE!

24. StarTroop
    February 17th, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I thought this problem was fixed long ago. I used to have some slight lag when playing it in HD, but when I changed the TV settings to optimize my blu-ray viewing, the next time I played BF3 the lag was gone. I had assumed that it had been patched, but now I can confirm that it actually was the TV settings.

• xIAMDAVEx-NZ
      February 18th, 2012 at 4:13 am

what did you actually do? Because when my Tv is in game mode you can’t change any more settings! it says to change these settings first turn game mode off.. which defeats the purpose lol

• StarTroop
        February 19th, 2012 at 11:40 pm

It depends on what TV you have. I have a Philips HDTV, try other settings, not just game mode.

• TKNY
          March 1st, 2012 at 12:59 pm

i have a philips HDTV too, but even on ‘game mode’ or ‘PC mode’ still gives the same amount of lag. Even tried every single slot (and I’ve got like 5 HDMI slots) and shut down all the extra fancy video smoothing crap.
          So what did u do?

25. arsene
    February 17th, 2012 at 11:29 pm

y i always got Disconnected…dats annoying tho