On January 29th, 2012 in News

A few days ago we reported that hackers were banning innocent Battlefield 3 players by using a PunkBuster exploit. Now DICE have announced that the exploit has been fixed, posting on the official Battlelog forums:

Together with the 3rd party service providers we have taken steps to remove the faulty bans, and improve the protection against future fake bans.
We have determined that the root cause resulting in the server bans is not directly related to Battlefield 3, but rather related to select 3rd party services which server owners can use in conjunction with PunkBuster to protect their servers.

However, DICE adds an update to the post, saying that some players are apparently still affected by the exploit. They are continuing to look into the issue.

The exploit involves GGC streaming, a third party service that many game servers run in order to screen for hackers and cheaters. To avoid any issues, players are advised to avoid servers that use GGC.

1. Pwnzyouexpress
    January 29th, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Well it about they do something about it

• liar
      January 30th, 2012 at 3:47 am

At least this is a step in the right direction. Keep it up DICE, you got a long ways to go to make this a safe and hack-free gaming environment.

• Odlanos
        January 30th, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I agree, everyone is complaining about this taking so long. DICE probably have a lot of other problems aswell and not just this. I want a hackfree game and your dislike(s) are have probably been done by hackers.

• Implied
          January 30th, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Commo Rose 2.0/PS3 VoIP/whatever you want to call it Patch is coming in February. Maybe they’re planning to implement some fixes with that.

But still doesn’t explain why Even Balance (PB Devs) aren’t doing anything on their end. Or maybe they are, they just suck at communication. Well, anyway. We’ll see when the Patch comes I guess.

2. Implied
    January 29th, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Pity they still haven’t solved the Hacking issues.

Least the Innocents aren’t getting Banned anymore though!

3. Drew Webb
    January 29th, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I don’t have these problems but then again I’m on Xbox do no need to worry! Sucks to be PC player right about now!

• Drew Webb
      January 29th, 2012 at 10:10 pm

So*

• Implied
      January 29th, 2012 at 10:32 pm

If there’s Hacking on the PS3, I’m quite sure there’s Hacking on the 360 too. Just because you haven’t run into it =/= doesn’t exist.

• Greenleaf
        January 30th, 2012 at 1:37 am

There isn’t hacking on ps3 though..

• BADLER
          January 30th, 2012 at 3:20 am

Except there totally is…

• Implied
          January 30th, 2012 at 3:40 am

Modern Warfare 2′s Hacker-Infested PS3 Gameplay begs to differ.

Granted, its not Battlefield 3, but if it can be done with MW2, I’m quite sure it can be done with any other Online Game.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
          January 30th, 2012 at 6:52 am

My advice to everyone is to just leave the elitist and fan boy comments a “thumbs down” instead of fueling the flame war by commenting against them. I know they deserve to be torn a new one, but they feed off our arguments.

As far as the console hacks go: Console hacks have been made and are in use. It’s very well possible. It’s not a common occurrence *yet* because hackers simply don’t have nearly as much room to work with compared to a PC, making it not worth their while and making it much less profitable.

When consoles reach the point where “professional” hackers can find a worthwhile and profitable way to distribute, maintain, and especially profit off of hacks, then wanna-be hackers with mom’s credit card will be everywhere on consoles. It’s just a matter of time unfortunately.

In closing please don’t think I’m bashing consoles. I’m by no means trying to, after all I would be bashing the platform I play on if I was. I’m just stating what’s most likely going to happen.

• Asgaro
      January 29th, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Yes, those cheating scum are still a threat that no developer whatsoever seems to can stop…
      Im a PC gamer myself so you console guys are indeed lucky to have a cheat free experience :)

• Maverick
        January 30th, 2012 at 2:38 am

the simple truth is that PC is not as good at holding of hackers. Xbox Live is a paid service and you would be surprised how many hackers they get rid of, although the PS3 isn’t a paid service they still do a pretty good job with keeping hackers out. plus there is a lot less freedom on Xbox & PS3, so you cant hack the same way you hack a PC.

• yams in a can
          January 30th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

XBOX Live and PSN are not good at holding off hackers, it’s just that it takes more effort to hack on them. Not harder, just more work.

• Digitalism
      January 30th, 2012 at 6:25 am

Why are you guys disliking his comment? All he is saying is that he has an Xbox and that it sucks being a PC player because of the “incident” that happened. It’s like saying, if there was two people who got Battlefield, but one guy got an older version, like BFBC2, it would suck being him because no one really plays that game anymore. People take it the wrong way nowadays.

• markus73
        January 30th, 2012 at 7:27 pm

stopped reading at “two people who has got” :head hurts:

Xbox nub I take it??

4. B0GiE-uk-
    January 29th, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Ban the cheaters for christs sake.

Look at some of the stats DICE. Blatant cheating and yet no bans.

5. YouAreTheOneNeo
    January 29th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

“To avoid any issues, players are advised to avoid servers that use GGC.” So like… every f*cking server…?

• Implied
      January 30th, 2012 at 3:48 am

Shouldn’t be long until Non-GGC Servers start to appear now. Some, at least……

Hopefully…….

6. alan
    January 29th, 2012 at 10:39 pm

My brother is playing in his account again, very happy because he was about to ruin my squadplay attitude and K/D

• Indi
      January 30th, 2012 at 1:05 am

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Piss of, douches like you ruin the game,
      Why did DICE have to put in a K/D Stats into the game…What happened to the good old Battlefields??? :(
      Your either in a server where idiots dont know how to play the Game “Rush” And run around killing People because they think its Team death match, Or your in a server which is half decent and you completely destroy the ther team because there noobs…Its rare to be in a match wheres there challenge..Unlike the other Battlefields

• Maverick
        January 30th, 2012 at 2:43 am

Indi settle down! you act like killing people does nothing! guess what, when your K/D is high that means your team keeps there tickets and the other team losses theirs! don’t accuse him of not being a team player, for all you know he may be the guy that reviews people every chance he gets.

• TheLordVoldemort
          January 30th, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Except that flag control bleeds tickets, not K/D.
          Unless, of course, you can consistently kill enemy players every second without them being revived.

Can you? No? Then flag control will win you a match – not K/D.

• DIRK
        January 30th, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I agree with you, the guy who goes 4 and 0 isn’t really helping the team. But the team balancing is what ruines it. I mean you get a bunch of guys on one team sniping while they’re losing horribly. Oh and how does DIce reward this lack of team play. Lets move the sqaud that is hustling, over to the other team. So every other player can spend 15 minutes either riding a mav to the tallest building or spawn becon into some high up place and get their 4 kills. If they had a non balancing server maybe clans could actually play together.

7. Pk1313
    January 29th, 2012 at 11:39 pm

piss

8. KEIOS
    January 30th, 2012 at 12:11 am

“To avoid any issues, players are advised to avoid servers that use GGC.”

This information is absolutely wrong. You can’t avoid the exploit by avoiding GGC Servers! Please correct your news…

9. SID
    January 30th, 2012 at 1:08 am

Problems currently i see (PS3)

1: i am USAS GUy , every time i press L3 & run , my AIM is disappeared
    i have to press TRIANGLE twice to switch secondary gun then again to get usas with Aim … THAT SUCKKS!

2: i am F2000 & Famas guy too .. every time am playing some fast game like TDM .. some times i press SQUARE to reload , he does reload .. but on my TV Screen he looks like he is doing NOTHING

3: I still dont understand , i have 56inch 3D HD BRAVIA TV !! . i connect my ps3 via HDMI .. my ps3 graphics is good (i have seen BC2 playing)
    but BATTLEFIELD 3 looks like shit on console .. water doesn’t seem to look like WATER! .. GOSH!!

4: usually when we jump over the stone or wall , we see our LEGS
    but SOME TIMES IT GLITCHES , I SEE HE JUMPS THAT’S IT!! WHERE ARE MY LEGS??

am sorry guys , dont think ama GAY but listen
    i am a BF fan boy
    i have played each battlefield game .. every single game is fantastic!
    Bad company 2 was had more excitement , better time pass & Fun =D
    dont get me wrong

in battlefield 3 i didn’t feel the maps are good
    B2K map packs are awesome ,.. but the inbuilt bf3 maps aren’t much!

i own ps3
    on CONSOLE BATTLEFIELD 3 LOOKS LIKE SHIT!!
    but on PC its super great :”)

hope u ppl read it full :)

• bret
      January 30th, 2012 at 3:12 am

I give you a thumbs down because people like you who use the frag round
      crap ruined the game.

• Big_Bubbaloola
      January 30th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Annnnd mainly due to the fact that his comment is in absolutely NO RELATIONSHIP TO THE ARTICLE!!!!!!

We get that some people still have technical issues with the game (VoIP, balancing, graphic glitches etc etc), but when the article relates to a specific issues as this does, we really, REALLY, don’t need to be told about the other problems.

10. MaydaX
    January 30th, 2012 at 2:28 am

Fixed? No PB server or BF3 server update so it can’t be fixed. The exploit has been publicly known since 2008 so if it could be fixed it would have been done already.

The exploit works the same way cheats do by hooking and modifying memory on the server and we all know how well PB works to stops that from happening.

11. Team_Playa
    January 30th, 2012 at 6:02 am

omg, for a while there i was getting worried that dice didn’t really care about their fan base and weren’t actively trying to fix the problem… lol they actually are trying to fix these problems, i’m so grateful. I know this problem primarily focuses on pc but thank god, i mean ahem *cough cough* dice for trying to make gaming a better place, especially for pc, hey i might be a ps3 bf3 player… but all in all we are all BATTLEFIELD fans, now get out there and kill ‘em no lifer good for nothin’ hackers! GET BACK TO THE BATTLEFIELD! BF3 ATW FTMFW Bebe woo!

12. Team_Playa
    January 30th, 2012 at 6:13 am

1 thing that is still bothering me though, when the f*** are they going to release another patch for consoles (PS3)… the game is awesome and all but there still needs to be some tweaking with some glitches and visual effects, such as shooting out lights in a room but the room is still lit up, front iron sight of the M4 and M16 disappearing when you aim down a scope such as ACOG and 3.4x optics etc. Even some balancing problems like what bret brought up… using frag rounds on a USAS-12 is unacceptable, it is for noobs which is why i don’t use it. I don’t want to be a disgrace to the gaming community. My nickname is walking Jesus when i am using the medic class for a reason ya’ know. Well, that’s what my friends call me. Because i am a Team_Playa! (not my psn id fyi)

13. Minx38
    January 30th, 2012 at 10:45 am

Nope, you are wrong EA/DICE. It is still not fixed! As a matter of fact, the server exploit still works as it did back in 2008. Why do you have to lie about it being fixed? Talk about a false sense of security. I think it may be lawsuit time for falsely telling people it is fixed when it clearly is not. If it was fixed, there would be server patches stating this. There have not been any patches for any game since your post came out, so, how did it get fixed?? Remember, cheats work the same way by hooking into the game and server memory. If you stop this exploit, then you also stop cheating altogether. And there is still cheating, so you lied! Pathetic!

14. anon
    January 30th, 2012 at 8:14 pm

how do I exclude these GGC servers from the server list?

15. MRLoadingERROR
    January 30th, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Time to go back to PWNING the USAS-12 noobs with my AEK-971.

16. IceTitan__
    January 31st, 2012 at 2:51 am

I don’t mind the USAS but I’ll take my Jackhammer/Extended Mag/Flechettes over it any day of the week. I hate playing with the USAS/Frag combo because I always end up killing myself in the shipping containers lol.