On January 18th, 2012 in Editorial, News

Battlefield 3 DLC
We’ve previously heard from EA that Battlefield 3 has aggressive DLC plans, and even DICE said that the company was restructured around DLC and has “massive DLC plans” for Battlefield 3. It’s been a few months since the release of Battlefield 3, and we’ve been wondering: where is all the promised DLC?

It’s been a few months since the release of Battlefield 3, player numbers have steadied, and yet, there hasn’t been a single DLC announcement besides Back To Karkand, which we knew about long before Battlefield 3′s release.

Battlefield 3′s main competitor, Modern Warfare 3, will be getting no less than 20 DLC packs over the next six months, according to Activision. 20 DLC packs is no doubt overkill, but at this point, EA needs to respond with something, some kind of announcement regarding Battlefield 3 DLC plans.

What do you think? Is it too early to announce new DLC?

1. Fuzawuza
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Hell no let them take their time and give us a quality map pack none of that mw3 shit. A suggestion would be a bfbc2 revive map pack!

• liar
      January 18th, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Unfortunately almost all of my friends have stopped playing BF3 and gone back to older Battlefield games or PC games (none COD interestingly enough). They all got sick of every game being a lone wolf marathon, and servers dividing parties on seperate teams. So, I’m pretty much playing alone these days.

I play a lot less now because I like team games and this just isn’t a team game anymore, especially with friend gone. I’m really hoping some fix comes in that makes this game more like BF2. I can’t get over how “free for all” the style of gameplay is.

• DotAX
        January 18th, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Totally agree. Maybe another pack with Battlefield 2 maps, but fullsized. Not like these B2K maps. The originals were a way bigger. Maybe Kubra dam or operation clean sweep. But they really should make a new patch first which will include 6 man squads with squad voip and at least a commander mode. http://getsatisfaction.com/battlefield3/topics/6_man_squads_commanders_full_detailed_map_view_and_squad_orders

• Implied
          January 19th, 2012 at 7:49 am

What? Make stuff harder? NOOOOO. What about the poor CoD Fanboys the Developers care so much about Ruining our Game Experience with? :(

Hang them all! :|

• BlackDeathCLAN
        January 20th, 2012 at 4:28 am

same here me and my mates are on word of tanks now

• DotAX
          January 23rd, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I have found the biggest complain topic about Battlefield 3 http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654489549355947/
          DICE moderators are trying to hide it into the forum, but anyway it has 46 pages with over 1200 comments. I suppose that DICE/EA should read the opinion of true Battlefield veterans, and finally understand, what they have made with the true sequel to Battlefield 2.

• DotAX
          January 25th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

“DO NOT FOCUS ON ANYONE BUT YOUR CUSTOMERS. YOUR REPUTATION WILL FOLLOW YOU FOREVER SO ALWAYS BE FAIR TO YOUR CUSTOMERS, AND CERTAINLY ONE THING YOU NEED TO ALWAYS REMEMBER IS THAT YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE NOT GOING TO BE FOOLED. SOME PEOPLE THINK THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH SOMETHING AND JUST HOPE PEOPLE WON’T SEE THROUGH THE BULLSHIT. THE INTERNET IS WAY SMARTER THAN ANY OF US.” – Gabe Newell, Valve Founder

• Fuzawuza
        January 26th, 2012 at 12:10 pm

If your on Xbox shoot me a friend request @ Chowbox87 and you can join my squad

• Bloody Ghillie
      January 18th, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I agree, they shouldn’t be worried about MW3′s DLC, DICE offers way more for the same price.

• DotAX
        January 18th, 2012 at 10:52 pm

There is no ghillie suit in this game and this is sad.

• DotAX
          January 19th, 2012 at 12:33 am

Oh common, you really don’t like ghillie suits? Why?

• maxbox99
          January 19th, 2012 at 5:12 am

Totally agree

• deadeye009
          January 19th, 2012 at 6:29 am

If they add ghillie suits they should be hot pink for the Russians and lime colored for the US.

• Rap7or
        January 18th, 2012 at 11:35 pm

respond to mw3 ? that is very sad because bf3 is not mw3 and if dice and ea continue copy ideas from the mw series, battlefield series will die..

• Pierogi210
      January 18th, 2012 at 11:18 pm

BFBC2 maps would be a stupid idea. BC2 is not the same series as BF2 or BF3. Why would you want to mix the two? If you’re going to bring back old maps, why not from BF1942 or BF2? There are still plenty of high quality maps to choose from.

• Luck7
        January 19th, 2012 at 3:34 am

Maybe DICE should copy COD maps because they are superior in every way. COD maps even have snow.

• kelleroid
          January 19th, 2012 at 7:24 am

What?

• Pierogi210
          January 19th, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Troll, could you elaborate on your last statement? Because last time i checked, maps are reused, rehashed MW1 and MW2 maps with new names.

• bf3
          January 19th, 2012 at 5:06 pm

go play mw3 if u want mw3 map pack in bf3

• R U Kidding
          January 26th, 2012 at 4:34 am

Why do people think that BF3 is just like BFBC2. There totally different just like Black ops and MW3 are different. I think they are saving BFBC3 for when the new xbox and ps3 systems come out so they can be totally epic…because it seems to me that everyone liked BFBC2 better then BF3………………MW3 is the worst game in history!!!!!!!!!!! just saying

• Implied
        January 19th, 2012 at 7:53 am

Believe it or not, People want a Snow Map, and White Pass from BC2 could be a great Snow Map with some Modifications to size etc.

Some of the other BC2 Maps weren’t half bad if they were to resize them etc. Turn them into full-sized Maps and deal with the Objectives a bit.

if they can’t deliver proper new (Vanilla BF3 Maps), at least do the old stuff that people like better.

• The_Great_Elite
          January 22nd, 2012 at 1:24 am

Its gonna Be Alot longer to To make also, Because they Will Have To Make The Maps able To Be Played On All Game Types..

• Implied
          January 22nd, 2012 at 8:06 am

If DICE really cared about that, they’d have made sure Operation Metro Conquest doesn’t suck so much. Its a Rush Map, that’s just how it is.

White Pass is designed for both Conquest and Rush IIRC, so there’s not much to do there. Deathmatch/Squad DM/Squad Rush can pretty much either use the Rush or the Conquest Layout, depending on the size.

A few other BC2 Maps also do both Conquest and Rush, those would be very easy to port over to Battlefield 3, some others not so much. Not that hard to do a BC2 Map DLC though, if they wanted to.

• Herrdar
        January 25th, 2012 at 3:12 am

with the new Frostbite 2, i would love to see some WW2 game play. WW2 went over kill with ps2 and xbox, but now everything is in current warfare. i kinda miss the ol’warefare of WW2

• markus73
      January 19th, 2012 at 12:14 am

I don’t get the DLC cry fest. B2K has barely been out a month.

• Pr0faker (menno)
        January 19th, 2012 at 2:45 am

^this, we just gotten a fullsized dlc, okay, most gotten it with the game already but we could only play the maps recently.
        We will patiently wait till the next good kickass dlc will come and please do not rush this DICE. Don’t be a cod noob, be Battlefield.

• Bloody Ghillie
        January 19th, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I agree but DICE said it would have way more times the DLC of BC2′s! I wish I would play B2K more often because it has quality maps but everytime I want to play Conquest, I get put into CQA -_-…

• Nate
        January 20th, 2012 at 12:59 am

they announced B2K months before the game was even released and it came out 2 months after the game did. they should at least announce the next pack… or hint at the maps (hopefully new ones this time) up until a full release

• Digitalism
      January 19th, 2012 at 5:50 am

Aren’t they already making a BC2 map pack?

• Jan
      January 19th, 2012 at 1:46 pm

A bfbc2 revival would be awesom, what i wish for is some snowy mountain maps and artic camo. When will the americans take the fight to russia ? russia has snowy mountains right?

• Nate
        January 20th, 2012 at 3:16 am

there wont be a bc2 map pack in bf3. it would have been like having a bf2 map pack in bc1 or 2 (which didnt happen)

• yourmom
      January 19th, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I also want to see DICE take their time with this and make a new pack with NEW maps (not just resurrected remakes) and ones with original or varying environments and modes. Over-publishing on DLC sometimes equates to creating a lot of stuff that all looks and plays the same.

• bf2mc 2 fan
      January 22nd, 2012 at 3:00 am

I would prefer a bf2mc dlc over a bfbc2 dlc also should note that bc2mc is not bf2 bf2mc is a console only that didn’t have jets but was the best game on console for its time period and had a good campain compared to rest of the series with some realy good maps like black gold (a oil plat form with five bases and 2 helicopters shit load of boats that 1 team started out with the other team had a beach head with 2 bases and 6 helicopters along with a tun of boats ) I would also like some dog tags
      this game in bf3 but I would also like them to fix bf3 first

2. Dude
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Yeah, I do remember them saying that they had an aggressive 6 month DLC plan, and I even posted about it on a different thread.
    Someone else pointed out that the DICE statement in question actually said the aggressive 6 month DLC plan was for 2012, which we are less than 3 weeks into…

So what I’m saying is that it’s still early, and we just need to be patient.
    (and besides, wouldn’t you rather see them fix all the broke shit first? ie working VOIP for PS3, VOIP period for PC, etc)

• Jackson
      January 18th, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Come on DICE step it up

• Implied
      January 18th, 2012 at 8:57 pm

While I do want to point out that the guys doing the DLC Content (mostly the Map Team, Weapons Team etc.) are not the same as the De-Bugging Team, DLCs could potentially be delayed due to the De-Bug Team doing Vanilla BF3 Issues first. Still, with EA in the picture, I doubt that….

Then again, they might have been delayed due to Players complaining about the Vanilla Maps, forcing the Map Team to restructure the DLC Maps so they don’t turn out the same way.

Personally I’m waiting on a VIP System announcement first though. I have no interest in dishing out 5-10$ every few weeks over a series of 6-8/9 months for DLCs which will most likely include more crappy non-optional Operation Metro style Maps as well.

Hate the comparison, but even Call of Duty is doing this. CoD Elite 1-Year Subscription comes with a year of free DLCs. Since the next CoD Game will most likely follow the trend and arrive next November, the Subscription runs out just as the next Game is launched. For a Game that’s going to have “3 times as much [DLC] as Bad Company 2″ a VIP System is pretty much a requirement.

People might not have liked it, but it seriously did work, and well. We pretty much got 16 Maps for free.

• Dude
        January 18th, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Good point about the de-bug/DLC teams.

• liar
          January 18th, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Well, it’s not free if you’re paying for a subscription, but I understand what you mean; you get it at a discount. It’s just a pet peeve of mine when people call things free that they are explicitly paying for.

DICE had said that some of their DLC would not cost any money, so I’m curious to know whether they try for a subscription or not. I like the idea of the subscription as long as it’s quality content.

Like you, there’s no way I’m paying something like $10 every 5 weeks just to get 2-3 new maps and weapons that quite frankly have zero impact on the gameplay.

And wtf DICE, add in stationary guns. What are you doing? Where are they in Karkand and other maps?

• cammanron
          January 19th, 2012 at 2:26 pm

@ liar…

I like the stationary guns too!… fun way to mow down some foes.

• liar
          January 19th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Oh ya! I LOVED running up to a stationary gun and unloading with infinite ammo right down an entire street of campers! SO. MUCH. FUN.

• AK7007
      January 18th, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I’ll thumbs up that tidbit that its a 2012 6 month DLC plan (hadn’t heard that before) so that we could whet our appetite during the holidays, but I’m with Implied that you guys need to get with the program and stop saying “fix :blank: first,” there are separate teams for that. I want things to be fixed, but I also want shiny new things. In that spirit, I agree with the blog post that some sort of community outreach would be nice so that we can start anticipating new things from this awesome game!

• DUDE's DUDE
      January 18th, 2012 at 10:29 pm

This makes a lot of sense here DUDE, 6 month plan means 1 every other month.
      Perhaps we’re on point to say DLC in February.

• cammanron
      January 19th, 2012 at 2:23 pm

…yes it is early, but we should have some idea of what may be coming… or even a fewe photo or video teases… the “plan” doesn’t seem so aggressive it seems…

Maybe DICE is having some internal issues right now because they don’t seem so focused. …”a known issue” or “aggressive plans” or “looking into” seems all to vague for a company with real direction.

• Deadly118
        January 19th, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Guys they have launched lots of stuff ( lots meaning – a littlebit- ) like the Pre-order Bonuses + B2K so its quite enough for 4 months isnt it. Think about it… the game has been out for 4 months. So.. Give DICE a chance to catch up with the hackers/cheaters or do you all prefer to keep Hackers/cheaters with the other DLC’s.

That’s what i thought so give ‘em some time.

3. ollie
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:18 pm

mm, maybe yes, for me it’s fine now, cause I just played BF3 the first time in two months and tried out B2K, which is very good btw, so I think they should take their time and make it perfectly. lfdgåh’hgfh

4. Kevin Blueberry
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:19 pm

2143 or 1944. DO IT!!!

• Luka Mijic
      January 18th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Bad company 3!! I wanna see another russian invasion :D

• Askari
        January 18th, 2012 at 9:30 pm

what?! i want a bad company 3 game not a dlc!

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
        January 18th, 2012 at 9:34 pm

In my *opinion* Battlefield 2143 should be next. It’s been way over due for a sequel now.

• BF3BEAST
          February 1st, 2012 at 1:25 am

i swear the god if they don’t put it on console….. actually, fuck that. i swear the god if it’s on xbox…… you know why….. ps3 and pc ftw!!!!!!!!!!

• Kevin Blueberry
        January 18th, 2012 at 11:17 pm

BC3 needs a full game. Although I think 2143 would work as an expansion.

• FAMAS_FrEaK
          January 19th, 2012 at 2:55 am

DINO MODE!!!!!

• Bloody Ghillie
      January 18th, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I just hope in the next DLC, they’ll split Conquest and Conquest Assault. When I try to play Conquest I get sent into CQA, theres no point of putting them together, many people don’t like either one. My quit percentage is going through the roof!

• Pietro
        January 19th, 2012 at 2:50 am

I agree 110%, I want my standard conquest mode to have its own playlist so I don’t get thrown into conquest assault

• RebornShadow
          January 19th, 2012 at 8:12 am

Then you won’t be able to play Wake, Karkand and Sharqi. All of them are Conquest Assault only. (And I have yet to see them to feature Conquest Head On)

5. ThexDLolNoob
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:20 pm

It is time. Announcing doesn’t mean they should have to release out next week. Make a cool announcement trailer for 2143 perhaps?

• Implied
      January 18th, 2012 at 9:01 pm

DLCs tend to usually be announced with Release Dates. If there’s no Release Date to give, there’s no DLC to announce.

• Pwnzyouexpress
      January 19th, 2012 at 5:19 am

I have just finished playing a couple of rounds on bf2 and I honestly can say stuff happens in bf2 that bf3 is lacking like how in bf2 you can have those epic battlefield moments with the one Ausie guy and the Texas dude with the chopper and the flying tanks, that just does not happen in bf3 on any pc or console version and that makes me sad as bf3 has the greatest potential for bf moments but it just does not happen due to the lack of teamwork they should also stop “fixing” the weapons and such and focus on the team play cause the weapons in bf2 suck but the game is still fricking epic, just hope some one important will read this and take to hart and change bf3 to a true succeeder to bf2.

• liar
        January 19th, 2012 at 6:47 am

Yep, i totally hear ya. BF3 is so frustrating because it’s soooo good with so many things, but they really really really screwed up team play and for the most part map design.

I think the main thing stopping me from going back to an earlier battlefield game is the money i’ve already spent on this one. I just like to get my money’s worth. ah, DICE, please fix squads.

6. Luka Mijic
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Give us something…. :O It would be nice to have more huge urban maps. But this time with choppers and jets :)

7. vrabac051
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I have question! Where is that “option” where you can drag out your wounded team mate to safety, while your comrades are covering you?

• FDSDH 011i
      January 18th, 2012 at 8:56 pm

that was always single player only

• trololololo
        January 18th, 2012 at 9:05 pm

in one mission only…. ….

8. RebornShadow
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:34 pm

People are so impatient these days… pathetic.

• Tyler Dominick
      January 18th, 2012 at 10:51 pm

You you people no fcuking remember the game just came out… wow… its been 2 1/2 months… i think B2k is GREAT and ive even gone back to some of the vanilla maps… BF3 is amazing and will only get better…

• L0000000L
      January 19th, 2012 at 12:03 am

people are impatient because the world ends in december this year, duhh??? i want some dlc soon or i am going to rip my balls off if i dont get any new dlc soon, shit man, i cant wait!@#!@! im going to die on december 21st, i need my DLC I WAS PROMISED!@!@! its been a month and no new dlc, actually its been 3 months and no new dlc confirmed, game has beeen out since october and they talked about B2K well before the game came out? wtf is going on DICE? GET UR SHIT TOGETHER NIGGA

• kelleroid
        January 19th, 2012 at 7:27 am

Have fun dying like an idiot while I’ll enjoy the life more.

9. g-force_two (Netherlands)
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:38 pm

But you have to think also, quality is better then quantity, ya’know. But BF3Blog is right, DICE and EA have to respond, because Activision is now putting a lot of DLC on the table. Please EA listen!!!!! DLC have to be released, NOW!!!!!!! but not too much like 20 as Activison, because if they do that, the quality will drop to zero.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
      January 18th, 2012 at 9:41 pm

-Slight off-topic warning-

I hate CoD as much as the next guy, but I still think it’s kind of odd to compare CoD to BF3. The only thing they have in common is that they’re both first person shooters, so why are they in competition? It’s like comparing a cucumber to a tomato. They’re both fruit, but they taste completely differently.

• L0000000L
        January 19th, 2012 at 12:09 am

well that is kinda of a bad comparison considering that a cucumber is a more of a vegatable to most people but in most terms its a fruit and vegetable, so terrible comparison, SOOOO YEAAAAAAAAAAAA

10. Kernkraft
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:38 pm

It’s not early to anounce them, but it’s waaaay to early to start talking about release dates and stuff like that. We have to be patient…we just got a DLC a couple of months ago, we all know this game is going to be here with us a long time, contrary to CoD who is probably going to launch a new one this november.

11. GAT-ROT
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:39 pm

rather see aimbot and knife hack users dealt with before anymore DLC. the game is severely broken, seeing these cheats used on servers weekly now.

12. Friend!
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I’m not demanding a new DLC for Battlefield 3, ’cause I still think the game has a lot to offer (it always has!), and that Back To Karkand is still rather new. Although, I’d think revealing “teasers” or announcement for an upcoming DLC would be a good thing, since It would keep Battlefield 3 fresh on the news page and give the players something to wait for

13. Razor7
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:41 pm

1 Battlefield 3 DLC=5 MDW3 MAPS

I would like to see more bf3 dlc maps soon, but I am willing to wait fo them. What I would like to see however is a DLC that takes place in more of a jungle terrain. Or perhaps a map that has nothing but dogfighting or something like that.

Hopefully in the next DLC they will include a New York map, similar to operation metro or something. It would be really nice if they had a another night map but it had jets and helicopters and perhaps you could unlock night vision goggles.

just my thoughts though…

• Implied
      January 18th, 2012 at 9:24 pm

New York City Map – Yes.
      Operation Metro 2.0 – No.
      Strike at Karkand style New York Map – HELL YES.

• liar
        January 18th, 2012 at 10:19 pm

As long as you mean old Strike at Karkand and not the current “reimagined” one.

14. Patrick
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:50 pm

An announcement of some form would be nice.

15. jbnet211
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I hope for a DLC announcement soon, DICE is taking there time and getting the DLC right

16. Pud_NZ
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:51 pm

James the clues are there big patch coming , hints of 2043 isn’t it obvious 2043 expansion pack coming Feburary,i have no contacts you should sniff around maybe even google search.

17. Rawrdar
    January 18th, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I really hope they do a good job with the upcoming DLC, but i would still like them to announce it and allow us to know for a while. PS: BF2143 would be an amazing map pack, just like bfbc2 vietnam or bf 1943

18. FDSDH 011i
    January 18th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I want to see at least one new vehicle or weapon per DLC and one DLC which is an entirely new game (ww2?) . I would rather DICE make 2143 as a standalone game rather than a DLC, perhaps there already doing it now?

19. PaPaS DoNuTZz
    January 18th, 2012 at 9:04 pm

whats 2043? a game in that rime period would suck ass. A game in 2143 however,………………………..

20. chapel976
    January 18th, 2012 at 9:06 pm

why bring out DLC when the game isn’t even ‘done’ yet

21. g-force_two (netherlands)
    January 18th, 2012 at 9:28 pm

maybe a map in korengal valley in afghanistan. the attackers flying over a drop zone with a chinook and then jump out of it. next you have to fight a way trough little towns and end up in korengal valley. Or a jungle map in the Amazone. the attackers set you off with some huey’s and fight your way down the river and end up in a big city. Or a snow map on alaska. fight your way down from the foot of a mountain in the snow. then cross a big snow path with some jetski’s and end up in a city of alaska. It’s al on rush mode.

• You Know That Guy Over There
      January 18th, 2012 at 11:50 pm

dude the game is based in iran, the caspian depression, and the desserts of iran not in alaska or south america that was bc2 i was thinking like some remake maps from bc1 and bc2 like ascension and heavy metal and port valdez bring the artillery back add bunkers and some new helicopters and jets because 3 jets and 6 different helicopters isnt cutting it for me bring the apache back add a heavy bomber have stealth aircraft have more nighttime maps

• fps freek
        January 19th, 2012 at 12:13 am

ur obviously a cod player. ascension, heavy metal, and port valdez were all cod maps, idiot.

• JuveOG
          January 19th, 2012 at 8:24 am

Port Valdez was actually on Bfbc2 I don’t know about the other 2 I didn’t really enjoy port Valdez to narrow easy to kill attackers when playing rush just my opinion if they were to remake maps from bfbc2 valparaiso sorry if I spelled that wrong Arica harbor Nelson bay white pass I think it’s called 4 maps I would pick but to be honest with you I would truly love to see WW 2 in updated graphics and what not Normandy or Sicily the pacific theater Tarawa would be a cool map this is my opinion and adding weapons from bfbc 2 xm8 would be cool and would love to use the Thompson sub machine gun on all maps miss it from bfbc 2 I’m done rambling

• NickM357
          January 19th, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Port Valdez and Heavy Metal were both Bad Company 2 maps… Make sure you know what you’re saying before you call someone else an idiot, lest you make yourself look like one…

22. AXEL
    January 18th, 2012 at 9:31 pm

MORE DLC’S

23. Clangen
    January 18th, 2012 at 9:32 pm

They should have a bad company1 or 2 DLC

24. Trollzor
    January 18th, 2012 at 9:35 pm

6 months? aww man hope theres more than that :)

25. ALX
    January 18th, 2012 at 9:46 pm

they should bring back bombs on jets… make separate maps with back to karkand destruction… and have new bomb unlocks.. to balance that…put many bunkers around a map and add extra AA..