On November 10th, 2011 in News

EA Battlefield 4It’s been less than a month since the release of Battlefield 3, and EA is already thinking ahead: EA president Frank Gibbau has confirmed that there is going to be a Battlefield 4. Honestly, this comes as no surprise, given Battlefield 3′s tremendous success, where it sold 5 million copies during its first week.

Gibeau mentioned Battlefield 4 during a speech at the University of Southern California. EA was quick to issue a statement, saying “Frank was speaking broadly about the Battlefield brand — a brand that EA is deeply passionate about and a fan community that EA is committed to.”

There have been 17 Battlefield titles to date, and there was really no question whether we’ll see Battlefield 4 (the 18th title) or not — the question is, when and where will the Battlefield series go from here? We’re pretty sure that Bad Company 3 is in the pipelines, and possible other titles include a remake of Battlefield 2142, which was the “sequel” to Battlefield 2.

What Battlefield game would you love to see in the future?

1. Nicklas
    November 10th, 2011 at 9:19 pm

A pirate DLC, like the mod to BF2 ?

2. TheMAN!!
    November 10th, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Hmm, BF2143 with stealthboys and tesla cannons from fallout, A medieval set battlefield with mags, or a Jurassic dlc with Dino survival and Huge Jungle maps with vechiles.

• Evanx125
      November 11th, 2011 at 12:06 am

stealthboys and tesla cannons, dude go play crysis 2 with a rocket laucher if thats what you want.

3. TheLoCoRaven
    November 10th, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Any of you play 1942 lately? Cause I have. And man its not as great as I remember. I think we’re remembering the fun times we had with CTF and with the Desert Combat mod . . .

I think they should release every games maps, reimaged with Frostbite 2 with full destruction. Maybe even if they sell them separately like BF1942 Map Pack . . . and so on.

Or maybe Conquest Assault map pack where one side is Israel and the other side is Palestine, and Israel is always playing defense while Palestine tries taking the land . . . jk . . . not going there.

• Mr Pink
      November 10th, 2011 at 10:53 pm

That would be cool. I’m guessing that would be around at least 50, if not more maps, which would unbelievably extend the life of BF3. And that’s in addition to any free new maps they make up for BF3, similar to the BC2 4-map pack last fall. Definitely a great idea. Lol at the Israel/Palestine scenario.

4. I still havent played bf3
    November 10th, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Lol it will be like when they first mentioned Bf3 it took them a buttload of years for it to be released

5. Mr Pink
    November 10th, 2011 at 9:33 pm

How about a Korean War Battlefield? Every game and movie maker seems to ignore that one, and it seems like it would be interesting since they used a lot of WWII weapons but also some of the first Cold War era weapon systems and small arms, such as the SKS, AK-47, RPG, etc. Not to mention the first use of very primitively equipped attack and transport helicopters and jets. Of course, they could just save this for a future MOH, but I’m just throwing this out there.

6. Tyler
    November 10th, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Bad Company 3 would be great. I think the time when BF really pulls ahead of CoD will be when the next gen of consoles are released and DICE can go crazy with the amount of memory that BF will require.

Imagine PC-like graphics and 64 player matches with more vehicles on a console. The future is bright!

7. Anu Anu
    November 10th, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Star Wars Battlefront. Make it DICE.

More realistically, I’d be happy playing a 2142 remake as I didn’t play the first. I’m not interested in Bad Company 3 because essentially it and BF3 are basically modern warfare…..ie the same.

The thing is, unless they think out side of the box and pick a theme like Cold War era African civil war, then I don’t know if they could sell it to the masses of people who like playing US forces in heroic wars…..

I hope they keep WW2 for a couple more iterations though because even though there is WW2 fatigue I reckon seeing WW2 realized in next gen (and by that I mean PS4 etc) will be so awesome that we’ll love it again…..think of how much a step up WW2 would be on the Frostbite 2 engine and then imagine it on Frostbite 3.

• Mr Pink
      November 10th, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Considering how long Battlefront III’s been in limbo, I think I agree with this idea.

• Picabooo
      November 14th, 2011 at 12:58 am

cold war hmm CoD did it ;)
      African civilwar i think that they are down in somalia right now amongst other things

• Picabooo
        November 14th, 2011 at 1:06 am

and btw i got a vibe of black ops when i played the campain + fighting russians searching for with nuclear bomb CoD 4

8. Bagoges
    November 10th, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Hey how about we NOT think about this right now and enjoy Battlefield 3? There’s also things they still need to work on in this game AND Origin is still at its infancy, in other words.. shitty.. Plus, there is no next generation faster processors out yet. No next-gen GPUs out yet. What I hope to see in the future of Battlefield is more than 64 players WITH stable servers.

9. AssInTheHole
    November 10th, 2011 at 9:52 pm

BF4?

So when BF3 come out?

I thought we playing BFBC3 rite nao :/

10. mrwtf
    November 10th, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I would like to see a Battlefield game that does not suck.
    Battlefield 3 sure does.

• JOHNNYLEX
      November 10th, 2011 at 10:17 pm

what the hell is wrong with you

11. Mr Pink
    November 10th, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I should also mention they had the first or second generation of thermal and night vision equipment at various points in the Korean War. This was largely thanks to the seizure of German prototype sights used on the Eastern Front and in experimental settings that were captured by the Allies and the Soviet Union after Berlin fell.

12. eviltj97
    November 10th, 2011 at 10:16 pm

2142 remade with frostbite 2.0 engine for consoles and PC.

13. JOHNNYLEX
    November 10th, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Damn it I just bought bf3 when I could of waited and got bf4 lol

• I still havent played bf3
      November 10th, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Wait maybe 2 – 5 years lol. Dice is gonna make BC3, Mirrors Edge, and pBF.

14. STUK
    November 10th, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Nothing I would like to see than BF2143; I was on BF3 today thinking how cool it would be with the upgraded engine, effects, lighting etc… but without a commander… who would pilot the Titans?

I can still see it as DLC though; I would take any DLC for BF3 really – I’m enjoying it; I trust DICE to keep tweaking it and fixing things… they normally do anyway.

15. JAG8119
    November 10th, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I would like to see a more “rooted” BF4.
    By this I mean a few things; such as for campaign elements to be dropped. It seems like the BF3 campaign was added either for comparative reasons or to appeal to the more casual crowd. One would think EA would want the BF series to standout and be more focused to the hardcore gamers. Add bots to appeal to the more casual gamers. With bots you get control of difficulty, time to practice (i.e. flying) and generally less pressure to “learn fast or die”. All the while operating in the same maps and gameplay as the online games. Yes this is insinuating an “offline” mode. I think the phrase is accessibility?
    A more focused game, balanced, polished and accessible will make for a more loyal and pleased fan base. Happy players play more and pay more. Right?

Some other implementations that would be nice.
    • A more integrated Battlelog with in-game overlay
    • Ability to change kit at any point
    • If you have to have a campaign, make it a DLC

16. L0LLYP0P
    November 10th, 2011 at 10:40 pm

What would be awesome:
    1. BF4 (I would wait until 2016-17 when I finally start getting bored of BF3…)
    2. A remake of BF Vietnam.
    3. A game on the gulf war
    4. An expansion to BF3: BF3 European Union (I loved that in BF2.)
    5. A whole game devoted to air and sea battle. (Aircraft carriers in the middle of the ocean.)

17. L0LLYP0P
    November 10th, 2011 at 10:41 pm

And
    6. Korean war
    7. Cold war

• Mr Pink
      November 10th, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I concur

• TheMAN!!
      November 10th, 2011 at 11:55 pm

cold war!?!?You must not know what you have already.

18. Mr Pink
    November 10th, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I think my final comment for this topic will be what I posted a few weeks ago, which is that for BF3, no matter what the setting, they should the following features (in my opinion) assuming it is set in a modern setting or even if it’s not:
    Weapon misfeeds (from sub-par ammo) or weapon jams & with these, ability to select type of ammo like in MOH or the old Rainbow 6′s, and/or pick up enemy ammo if you are out (thus taking a risk on a malfunction). There would have to be a quick button mashing minigame to unjam a weapon in combat for this to not slow down gameplay too much.
    Weapon maintenance minigame (perhaps during the loading before/after a new battle/map is ready or ingame) to prevent the above, perhaps similar to Far Cry 2 (or not)
    Environmental influence on the above malfunctions and/or weapon accuracy (ie, dusty/muddy/humid environments increase malfunctions/inaccuracy if submerged in them, cleaner environments decrease, etc.)
    Incorporation of the ability to choose chrome-lined internals and barrels to make weapons reliable (this would be standard on certain weapons, like the M14 SOCOM, M240, and AK series)
    All vehicles have a reasonably large but limited (finite) amount of ammo for primary/secondary, and/or limited fuel; have to go back to base at some point to resupply/refuel after a helicopter gun run, tank assault, massive jet dogfight, etc.-Engineer can resupply/refuel vehicles for points/teamwork purposes-
    Night/Thermal vision on most maps/nighttime maps with NVG’s
    A return of a spec ops class with their own set of priority targets
    Between 40 and 64 players on consoles (this would have to be on the next generation of consoles) and by necessity, more vehicles for the larger number of players to operate.
    Inclusion of some mobile artillery vehicles (self propelled or stationary emplacements are fine) &/or a return of the artillery/mortar strike in BC series.
    Key last point: Ability to switch between communicating with a 4-8 person squad and the ENTIRE TEAM on consoles without having to form a private chat party or something (such as you currently have to do on Xbox and/or PS3). This may be something Sony/Microsoft need to fix across the board for their next consoles, but if Dice/EA could do a workaround ingame that would be great too. If they tested this in the current and awesome BF3, that would probably be a good start since they could work out the issues with the current generation of products they have out. If done correctly, this could go a long way towards improving teamwork in console multiplayer and making it alot more streamlined in terms of communicating and coordination.

Also, perhaps a pilot class that is either unlocked after a certain rank or a system that would somehow pick out people who know how to fly vs. those who are not familiar with the flight controls. This could work if there was a boot camp for multiplayer that allowed people to practice land, air, and/or sea combat so they aren’t just hoping to blind luck they know how to do something when they play (and yes, this would be in addition to campaign, cause campaign doesn’t usually cover ALL the key points for multiplayer). Thus, those who haven’t done flying boot camp can’t fly or at least pilot (could still be gunner) and those who have can. Not something I would consider a gamebreaker for BF4 though.

For now, I am very content with BF3, MOH, and BC2, but these are the kind of gamechanging features I would like to see in a future BF4, since I feel they would help take it that next step up for the next generation of consoles and the next set of upgrades for PC’s. Of course, in the case of Consoles this won’t happen probably till around 2013-2015, but it’s not that far away. In the meantime, I will enjoy BF3 in its awesomeness.

19. Mr Pink
    November 10th, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Meant to say, for BF4, should have following features, etc.

20. ShadyAcid
    November 10th, 2011 at 10:58 pm

It will at least be another 3-4 years. We need new consoles and although BF is (or supposed to be) a PC series and ported to consoles, consoles still bring in tons of money(xbox bringing in over $2,000,000 alone anyone?). Although they more than likely didn’t count Origin and whatever else PC gamers use, I doubt any of us would complain for 2.2 mil on xbox alone, not to mention PC and PS3 for a total combined profit of over 5 million in ONE WEEK. Plus, we have DLCs in the making and BFBC3. New xbox is in the making under code name Luke and I’m positive PS is coming out with a 4. Dont’ jump to conclusions that it’s gonna become annual or anything because all he said was there is one coming which we already knew. I can say I’m gonna Benz but that doesn’t mean I’m getting it today.

21. subwayis666
    November 10th, 2011 at 11:13 pm

NOOOOO!!!!! WTF ARE U DOING EA. ITS A 3-5YEAR GAME!!!

22. Erikxson
    November 10th, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I really want to se Project Reality mod to BF3.

That would just be awesome!

23. Evanx125
    November 11th, 2011 at 12:03 am

EA, shut your mouth, i think EA ruined enough great titles such as the first 2 maddens,,mass effect, crysis,SIMS, and other games i can’t remember. They want every developer to bow down and Suck their small dicks dry, I think if DICE goes up to EA’s Ceo and give him a good kick in the nuts, and Reclaim EA as Dice, Dice can than resurrect these titles and get good ol’e quality games back .

24. R1CO95
    November 11th, 2011 at 3:07 am

Didn’t they say that they were going to make BF4 when the next gen was here anyways? Cool your jets people and enjoy BF3.

25. Meevinman
    November 11th, 2011 at 5:12 am

New WWII battlefield.

Seeing as though weapon customization would be somewhat limited due to the fact that weapon tech was somewhat sub standard compared to todays weaponry. Extensive vehicle customization should be introduced, cause you know there was a shit load of varying types of the same Tank, Armored car, Half-track etc.

Good example