On November 27th, 2011 in News

Banned bf3EA has previously had some issues where players who have been banned on the forums have had their ban extend to the EA accounts and all games associated with it. The latest incident involves a Battlefield 3 player who was banned for 72 hours for playing the game after he posted a forum message on Battlelog containing the word “badass”. He then received the following email from EA:

“Hello ,

Your Electronic Arts account has been suspended for 72 hours for violating the Terms of Services for Electronic Arts Online.

Violation:Inappropriate language

[almost as badass as germany. Switzerland: they do a lot of stuff I think that just about sums up europe.]“

It’s odd that EA would ban a player for using a word like “badass”, while Battlefield 3 itself has some of the most offensive swearing ever seen in a game, both in the singleplayer and especially the voice over in multiplayer. We dunno if there were other factors involved in the decision to ban, but it does seem like an overreaction, especially considering the content of Battlefield 3.

Via Reddit

1. piriboy27
    November 27th, 2011 at 8:54 pm

wow, that was badass

• ablindman
      November 27th, 2011 at 9:41 pm

no, just bad ;)

• Zomb13
      November 27th, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Banned :)

• TruthSlayer
      November 28th, 2011 at 3:21 am

Way to not bother vetting a story, Toshiro. The dude was a pest that was spamming the forum with way more than “badass”.

Not even sure how this is news, every day a hundred morons create cry threads on that forum that they were banned or kicked or whatever for XYZ reason when in fact they are complete pests that got on somebody’s nerves over and over.

• Matt
        November 28th, 2011 at 5:18 am

Oh for fucks sake, the fact that people are still offended by swearing these days is ridiculous. People have been swearing for years, and it won’t stop anytime soon. People are far to up-tight about it, especially the Americans. Anybody dares swearing over there, they get swarmed by christian groups, soccer mums etc. Over here in Australia though, things are a lot less tighter. Between mates, “oi cunt!” is a perfectly accepted greeting, although it’s usually teenagers and young adults. Regardless, the fact that people get banned for swearing just goes to show that people are just to offended easily. Harden the fuck up, cunts!

• Deathdealer
          November 28th, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Definitly agree with you. I live in Canada and swearing is much mire relaxed. Harden the fuck up ppl.
          Ps chopper reed is awesome.

• lolsword.
      November 28th, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Can i message EA that battlefield 3 is a bad ass sick awesome game. do i get banned?

2. Sgt-Jackson_NL
    November 27th, 2011 at 8:56 pm

omg DICE.. release the update or work on some bugs instead of banning people for saying Badass -__-

• GONJAGOON
      November 27th, 2011 at 9:04 pm

It was EA, not DICE that banned him…

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
      November 27th, 2011 at 11:20 pm

@ Everyone:

If you read the entire reddit post, a moderator reviewed his case and he wasn’t banned just for saying “Badass”. The moderator responded back to him, heres a small quote of what he said “I can tell you that things like this post -link-, or this post -link-, or this post -link-, or a lot of what you said in this thread -link- (Rape joke – really?), or this entire thread that you started, seemingly only to troll -link- are not helping your case.” Then the moderator goes on to say “Especially when you do that all in one day.
      In complete honesty, I think that what’s gone wrong here is that our report for why you were temporarily banned is wrong. You were probably banned for the reasons I’ve listed above. I probably would have temporarily banned you too for spamming nonsense and acting like a troll.”

In short, most likely he was banned for trolling and probably even more excessive language.

Quotes taken directly from the Reddit link that is linked in this BF3blog post.

• Dude
        November 28th, 2011 at 12:36 am

^

Glad you posted this.

BF3Blog, you should have read the entire reddit post before trying to turn it into news. The banned player in question obviously has a bit of a history. Maybe it was Skrillex. ;)

A rape joke isn’t equal to saying “badass”.

• TBLK
          November 30th, 2011 at 2:11 am

It can’t be Skrillex. This guy plays on PC and posted his specs on his profile. Skrillex bashes on anyone that dares to share their PC specs online and accuses them of ‘showing off’.

• TBLK
        November 29th, 2011 at 1:09 am

Yep. A further look into that conversation reveals his true colors.

likeitishasbeentold 10 points 1 day ago

Based on the links that crash has provided, I, for one, am not QQing about not encountering you during online play.

Be a dick in one venue, and it's a reasonable indicator that you're going to be a dick in another.

UDeadNowSucka[S] -15 points 1 day ago*

Oh look, another retard defending EA;s ridiculous policies. Maybe you should go work for EA. I'm sure you would fit right in.

And another thing Mr. Retard, if this happened to you. I'm sure you would be shitting all over EA as well. So don't be such an ass kissing faggot.

Forum behavior =/= Game behavior. The two can be very different, but I don't expect you to understand this, seeing as your brain seems to be covered in EA's shit from having your head stuck so far up there asses.

And even if I am a dick in the game, what business is it of anybody elses? I didnt realize we all turned into the internet police all of a sudden. Gotta keep the servers friendly and language clean, meanwhile your multiplayer character is getting fucked in the ass as they say and having his shit pushed in.

And be careful, I might rape you in the game, seeing as I made a rape joke on the battlelog forums.

likeitishasbeentold 10 points 1 day ago

Sorry, make that two venues.

UDeadNowSucka[S] -15 points 1 day ago

Being a dick isn't against the law faggot. Deal with it. Dont play internet police. Crash isn't going to give you a medal for it.

You wanna sit here and justify this stupid banning system, than go ahead. But I promise you, when and if it happens to you, you'll be playing an entirely different tune.

Seems we've reached a point in gaming when dev's and publishers can actually lock players out of games they paid for, based on there out of game actions.

Whats next? EA's going to send rep's to the houses of everybody that buys there game to monitor there behavior? This way if somebody says the word "fuck" or "shit" outside the game, EA can ban them in the game as well.

You Dumbass bitch.

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
          November 29th, 2011 at 6:51 am

Thank you for taking the time to find his posts TBLK.

It just goes to prove even more why that person deserved being banned. He acts like hes a victim but in reality hes the offender.

• cammanron
          December 1st, 2011 at 7:01 pm

…”Seems we’ve reached a point in gaming when dev’s and publishers can actually lock players out of games they paid for, based on there out of game actions….”

dummy… They aren’t locking him out of playing a game he payed for… they ARE locking him out of any ONLINE interactions…ie. MUTIPLAYER..

…BTW, grate grammer

• Gundam288
          December 2nd, 2011 at 7:45 am

yes, but like someone said before. he plays on PC. and to play BF3 on PC you need to login with your account. aka always online DRM (which is stupid for SP/Co-Op(on a LAN)…)

so, locked account = no BF3 at all for him.

this is the whole problem with origin, they “linked” everything in. that isn’t a bad thing, but now some people are more than likey to get crazy about the ban hammer being dropped.

I stopped using the battlelog fourms a long time ago when I saw DICE had no intention of implementing 6 man squads and that the console was the lead.

Heck, I don’t even play BF3 much anymore due to it feeling like a facebook game on the PC… and to top it off origin keeps downloading something even tho all my games on it are updated…. pretty sure origin doesn’t have a 500+ mb patch….

TL;DR master origin accounts, good for banning hackers. but bad for infractons since you can’t play SP on PC….(at least from what I know…)

• Hugo
      November 28th, 2011 at 10:23 am

Could not agree more! sad but true. DICE dosn’t priority bug fixing over contents that grants them money!

3. phobia26
    November 27th, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Perhaps a bit offtopic, but I’m curious as to where game developpers get the idea from that swearing is awesome? Maybe I’m just getting old, but adding voice-overs like “get a lot of this you asshole” and “I’m getting my shit pushed in here” add absolutely nothing to a game and make the developpers look rather childish/immature. I played the Witcher 2 earlier this year and that game also involved a lot of swearing. That for a game set in a fantasy setting. What is up with that stuff? Is it some desperate attempt to get teenagers into the games?

• SuperSanity
      November 27th, 2011 at 9:05 pm

People swear. Especially Marines. And since DICE as always claimed to be going to a more realistic approach, it makes sense. If you were under fire, I’m sure you would be swearing (among other things).

• Oh- Excuse me?! EXCUSE ME?!
        November 27th, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Actually, that’s not true every time! Take my soldier, for instance. He barely speaks!

I throw a grenade, he doesn’t say anything. Someone throws a grenade into my face – everyone around me screams ‘GRENAAAAADE!’, yet my soldier stays silent, as if nothing had happened.

Someone around me get shots? He screams ‘HELP HELP I’M FUCKING PINNED DOWN!’. My soldier gets shot…he emits a barely audible grunt. That’s it.

Someone around me dies? I hear their death scream and it makes the hair on my back stand on end. My soldier dies? He silently falls to the ground. No screaming, no swearing, nothing.

Someone around me gets supressed, I hear them scream ‘SOMEONE GET ME THE FUCK OUTTA HERE I’M PINNED DOWN!’. My soldier gets supressed, he gets tunnel vision, yet not a single word leaves his mouth.

If someone around me gets a kill, I sometimes hear them taunting the enemy – my soldier mows down an entire squad, and silently celebrates, without saying anything.

However, he does seem to get a little curse-happy when he revies a fallen teammate, though…maybe that’s the reason he wants them to die when he revives them, it’s gotta be all the swearing he holds back in other war situations…

All in all, he’s the bravest, most toughest mothafucka I’ve ever had the pleasure controlling.

• nonyo business
          November 28th, 2011 at 12:57 am

Not sure if trolling or stupid… Trolling :D nice one.

• sgtmoody1944
          November 28th, 2011 at 3:28 am

Wait, your soldier-character does that too!? Damn, I thought mine was unique… ;)

• Your Freidnly Neighborhood Poster
          November 28th, 2011 at 11:40 pm

@ nonyo business

Skrillex said that phrase a lot…

Hmm.

• IRONY
          December 8th, 2011 at 12:31 am

I just got 72 hours conditional discharge for calling a aimbot user a fucktard on my wall the irony is that i reported this guy 2 weeks ago and still the cunt is raping people on servers 300kills to 4 deaths ,oh the fukin irony woe is me lol what a pile of fukin shitstabbing dirty cunts

• Kernkraft
      November 27th, 2011 at 9:06 pm

II don’t think they see swearing awsome, I think they just see it more realistic. As far as I know that is the standar vocabulary for the USMC. I think that’s where it comes from.

• Bloody Ghillie
      November 27th, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Nobody said it was awesome, have you ever heard of war? I am pretty sure when you are being shot at you say “Oh doody/crap”

• Charles
      November 27th, 2011 at 9:13 pm

People swear. People of all kinds, even those who might not swear normally, say ‘shit’ when they drop something or hit their toe. It’s not outlandish then to expect that someone getting shot at might realistically say ‘fuck’ every now and then.

Not to insult you, but if anyone’s childish or immature I’d say it’s you for being so disturbed by it and thinking that it’s inclusion is down to some desire to be ‘awesome.’ Not being able to comprehend the place of swearing as anything more than trying to appeal to teenagers or be ‘awesome,’ that’s immaturity on your part…

• Medic
      November 27th, 2011 at 9:24 pm

so you think in the middle of a battle the troops are going to be saying “oh noodles, these stupid butt heads are trying to shoot us!” ….no….just no….

• Luke
      November 27th, 2011 at 9:33 pm

“Golly gee! My arm just got blown up! Gosh darn it!”

• IRQ
      November 27th, 2011 at 10:04 pm

it adds realism to the game. I’ve seen marines under pressure… they cuss a lot.

• Indi
      November 28th, 2011 at 12:17 am

Mate its war!
      Its very frightening and at any day or even second you could die…
      The reason why they swear is to release there anger and be more aggressive!
      But theres tons of different reasons why

• phobia26
        November 28th, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I suppose I was a bit misunderstood… I’m not saying that is preposterous to swear neither am I into the psychological background of swearing. I already know that war brings out the worst in people. My point was that it is just being overdone a lot, in the sense that developpers feel compulsed to add swear words in a lot of sentences (where it actually doesn’t make sense). Like swearing when you’re actually reviving a teammate…

• pew pew pew
        November 29th, 2011 at 5:04 pm

It’s similar to the use of “uhhhhh” and “like”. I guess we’ve replaced it with “#ucken” to make it sound manly. It may be used to verbalize anger but since swearing is in their every day vocabulary, they’re just yelling. I rarely cuss but after I joined the military my friends tell me I say “#uck” in almost every scentence. It’s funny because when $h*t went down and rounds started flying, the cussing stopped until everything was over.

4. Rap7or
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Who is BADASS now !?!? XD

5. Kernkraft
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Well, if you don’t know exactly why he was banned or which oher factors involved, then you shouldn’t be posting something like this because you generate a terrible reaction from the readers. This looks more like gossip than journalism. Just what I think, I might be wrong.

6. Kierenblade
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Wow, EA banned him for that? But they won’t ban the player that I reported 6 times?? And gave them posted a video for proof!! Scumbag EA

7. Oh- Excuse me?! EXCUSE ME?!
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Wooooow, I can’t believe EA/DICE has sank so low. There are dozens of occasions in the single player campaign alone where someone around you curses, there are also a fuckton of curse lines for both the Russians and Americans in multiplayer (reviving a teammate, anyone?)….not to mention when someone posts their issues with the game, people are quick to call them ‘retard’, ‘noob’, telling them to ‘fuck off to CoD’, yet they get to swear all the time, while the usage of a hardly offensive word is met with a 72 hour ban?

It appears DICE and EA (especially the latter) want to turn their players AWAY from BF3 and any future games. Way to go, EA. Way to go. Statpadders roam free, hackers roam free, there’s swearing in the forums, left to right….and it’s obvious that both the developer and publisher are focusing their attention on the wrong causes instead of fixing the issues people are complaining about.

Fucking retards…

• Maks
      November 27th, 2011 at 10:17 pm

we call ‘em asshats in the U.K……

• nonyo business
      November 28th, 2011 at 12:59 am

Not DICE, just EA

8. Hmmm
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Pathetic, they would ban me for a year if they herd what I said about EA after reading this. Whoever passed this ban onto this fellas games should lose his position, the guy should get the ban lifted and some sort of EXP credit. They know good and well if this was a serious case they would get sued again and lose. Just sorry public relations , the worst,”advisors” who doesn’t know if their own servers are down or not. Lying to the preorder masses and getting slapped for it…now this? EA, worry your little “badass” about banning the people who deserve it, like the 50 something instances of DAR in the PS3 leaderboards. EA “We have banned 100s of accounts for cheating/boosting.” Yet another freaking lie.

9. Bloody Ghillie
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I am so running through their office with a shirt saying “BADASS”

10. Hmmm
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:11 pm

phobia26, if you served under wartime or a forward position. You would understand. They do it in the game because thats real life. Actually they’ve toned it down alot.

• pew pew pew
      November 29th, 2011 at 5:09 pm

wait. you mean they dont talk like this during peace time? Thats news to me.

11. Will Dearborn
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Banned from the forums, banned from all your games… yeah that sounds like a great ideas.

Come on EA.

12. Jayro
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Are you sure its because of the word badass? Withouth knowing the rest of the thread, this comment could sound like part of a nationalist chant

13. i still havent played bf3
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:23 pm

EA= The Troll of trolls

• BlueSmiley
      November 27th, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Electronic Asses*

14. IHEARTDICE
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:26 pm

No where does this article show that this person was banned for using the term, “badass.”

Maybe the fact that he’s offending a nation could be the reason?

Uhmmm, Ohhhhh, DURRRR DERP DERP!

15. CBZ
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I havent read all the post from this guy but maybe it wasn’t the word “badass” but the whole post making fun of countries what got him banned.
    Just throwing it out there as another possibility.

16. Lolwut
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:34 pm

And the way he used a “bad word” was not even directed toward others.. I mean, it’s one thing to say “You’re full of shit” and a completely different thing to say “almost as badass as Germany”.

17. Colt_Gun
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Good thing they never read any of my forum posts…..

18. StayFrosty
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:46 pm

that was badass

19. tormentuk
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:52 pm

i always also banned for 72 hours for saying the word rape -.-

• desetnik15
      November 27th, 2011 at 11:23 pm

GRAMMAR FAIL! HAHAHAH

20. tormentuk
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:52 pm

i always also banned for 72 hours for saying the word rape -.-

21. J-Peg
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I got banned in a BF3 forum for 72 hours for telling console vs PC bashers to “grow the f**k up.”

It’s rather ironic that people are calling each other “fags” and tossing insults about each others mother and the one guy trying to break it up gets reported for foul language!

22. YO FAT MAMMA
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Ops! I said BADASS LOL EA Is RETARDED

23. Will
    November 27th, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I was banned for saying ‘Activision’.

• Bloody Ghillie
      November 27th, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Hahaha OMG I’m crying.

24. FUDGEFOX
    November 27th, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I was banned for a year for saying ea is not nice :( what the “badass”!?!?!!!

25. FUDGEFOX
    November 27th, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Lol and when I read the title the first time I thought this guy said badass 72 hours in game over and over and got banned permenatly XD