On October 27th, 2011 in News

BF3 sales
EA CEO John Riccitiello today announced via a conference call to investors that Battlefield 3 has already shipped 10 million units within a week of release, with 3 million of those being pre-orders. He also noted that the game is in such high demand that many retailers are running out of stock and have re-ordered copies with the publisher. For comparison, EA revealed that Bad Company 2 has sold 11 million units to date, a number which Battlefield 3 should easily surpass by the end of this month.

We’re previously heard analysts estimate Battlefield 3 sales at around 8 to 10 million, but no one had predicted such a strong launch — the biggest one-day shipment in EA’s history, according to EA COO Peter Moore. Battlefield 3′s chief competitor, Modern Warfare 3, is scheduled for launch early next month, and Battlefield 3 has gotten a decent head start in terms of sales. Most analysts and industry insiders predict Modern Warfare 3 will sell twice as many units as Battlefield 3.

1. Patrick
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Only 3 of the 10 million copies were pre-orders?! :O ;)

• BF3FTW!
      October 28th, 2011 at 12:41 am

Ya man it seems a lot of people have come to their senses.

• NoFreakinIdea
      October 28th, 2011 at 2:26 pm

First time I pre-ordered a game.
      :D :D:D
      Can’t wait to play on Back to Karkand, hopefully with a better PC! :P

2. YES!
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:46 pm

hmm, is it an old cover? it has RP as the rating still.

3. Al
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:46 pm

even though bf3 is supperior to mw3, mw3 will still sell more

• Hired_Mark
      October 28th, 2011 at 6:19 am

We don’t really know, yet until the final figures are published. I know I am not buying it and with BO and MW2 the CoD franchise is losing a lot of fan base. BF3 can actually sell more, however the question is whether it will deliver the awesomeness we expect from it. If it does, you’ll get your new High-Grade franchise, with CoD dying out.
      Fact is though, most people expect MW3 to be ~ if not bad, so if they launch something good, they will make better hit than before.

• Implied
        October 28th, 2011 at 3:15 pm

CoD started to lose the old fans it got with MW2, before Black Ops. Everyone it gained from CoD 4: MW which enjoyed it, but wasn’t going to put up with MW2′s ridiculousness quit. Black Ops sold a lot. It got a different fan base, and that fan base will only grow with MW3, because people like “easy” they like “CoD” style games.

If you want to sell the most, you need to be CoD, but that won’t work, because then you’ll get dissed for being a CoD rip-off.

• Hired_Mark
          October 28th, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I don’t know, maybe you are right. I am assuming the followers have common sense when it comes to games.
          In the case where people go ” CoD is the best” and the only game they have ever played were CoD titles, it might get a bit iffy.

^ point from above, how can people commit the atrocity of calling themselves gamers if they have never gone out of a series, let alone a genre? Having been outside the FPS quite a lot. ( I mean I favour RTSs actually) it seems like the an impossible thing to do, if I were to make it a visual disorder, this can easily count as legally blind.

• Implied
          October 29th, 2011 at 6:52 pm

General Consensus is that if you own a Console + Play Game/s on it, then you’re considered a Gamer, if its 1 or 10. Same if you own a Gaming/PC.

I started playing FPSs with Doom/Doom 2 together in 1995. Over time moved through Q3A, CS 1.6, Deus Ex, Halo: CE, UT 2003, BF Vietnam, UT 2004, CS:S, BF2, COD 4, Crysis, BC2, RAGE, and now BF3. (Some other minor ones along the way). I never played an MMO until WoW Classic in 2006, and my first RPG was Diablo II (started in 2003), moved to Bioshock Assassin’s Creed (from II)/Batman Arkham Series, and starting Elder Scrolls Series next with Skyrim. Never really done RTSs, not interesting for me.

Arguably I couldn’t be considered a Gamer until I started playing Diablo II in 2003, or Q3A in ’99 then.

Problem with CoD is, people buy it because they like easy. They like Mainstream. When they try to go to another Game and its not as easy as CoD, they just start massive QQ and Rage until it gets Mainstreamed, or don’t play it at all. For this, should we not consider those Whiners Gamers? Some have Steam Accounts, they have Clans, they have everything any other Gamer could have. Only difference is that they only play 1 Game, and switch to the next one in the Series the next year up. Technically they’re still Gamers though (unfortunately). Albeit, they’re Mediocre Whiney Brat Gamers who’s Parents shouldn’t be buying them 15/17+ Rated Games in the first place. But hey, who listens to ESRB, right?

• Hired_Mark
          October 29th, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I get your point, but just because you have all the toys you need to be one, that doesn’t mean you are one. Even if I owned a field and a tractor, and could talk about agriculture, that wouldn’t make me a farmer simply, because I don’t know how to do it.

Similarly people do spend money on hobbies like robotics, but it is a long way down the line they become competent enough, simply because in the beginning all you do is assembly of pre-designed robots anyway.

As for me I used to be a console scrub, back in the days of SEGA Genesis, until I moved up the ladder at about the AoE2 and GTAIII time. Back in the day consoles were a really creative medium, unlike what we see now, which is why I am so used to deviating from my favourite genre. So say, I ‘d play some C&C put it down after some time and go play Myst IV. So I have pretty much had a taste of every decent (and some very bad) game that has been out in the past 10 years. This is how I know I really like Snowboard Championship 2004 quite a bit, even though I tend to like RTSs. Similarly you deviated out of Doom eventually.

I mean we are talking about people that cannot deviate from one game, that is an extreme narrowmindedness that cannot be associated with gaming that is problem solving, really.

• MosquitoPower
      October 28th, 2011 at 10:11 am

As I always say: ‘quality > quantity’.

If, Battlefield 3 = Quality,
      Modern Warfare 3 = Quantity;

Battlefield 3 > Modern Warfare 3.

Even math says the truth.

• General Botrix
        November 25th, 2011 at 10:34 am

BF3 will appeal to the MW crowd as it is no longer a BF game but a MW with a little destruction. BF3 has been a total let down for us BF2 fans. Dice have decided to go the way of the COD console games.
        There is no teamplay, no voip, less destruction than BC2, minimap is useless, and so many other downgrades that the long promised sequel to BF2 has nothing in common to the very successful BF genre.
        The only good thing BF3 has is graphics and this is to be expected of any 2011 game anyway.

I had bought 2 copies (one for my son who is a BF2 and BFBC2 fan). After installing on my PC my son asked me to sell his copy as he does not like COD type of games.

I am seriously tempted to sell mine too. I actually gave away my son’s copy as there were no takers even though it was the limited edition and unopened.

Stay clear off this game if you are a BF2 fan!

4. Implied
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:46 pm

So MW3 will sell 20 Million? Possibly, who knows.

More importantly: Huzzah. Now EA will throw their Marketing Strategy around, overhype every Battlefield Game and call it a “CoD Killer” over and over, until it happens at some point.

• Al
      October 27th, 2011 at 10:47 pm

mw2 sold 20 million so its probably gonna happen

• mm
        October 28th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Ye, probably.. IDK, Cause many of the CoD gamers have switched to Battlefield 3, so far what I know. A lot of my friends have. – First they were like ‘Oww Modern Warfare 3 the best yeaaahhahaha, Battlefield 3 sucks balls and it’s so shitty’ and that kind of stuff, but after the Beta and CoD videos most of them thought ‘OH SHIT! What i’m thinking about, mw3 is just like mw2 and Battlefield 3 is so amazing!’ And before the launch they tried BC2 and liked it very much and now they bought/gonna buy BF3, and maybe not gonna even buy mw3 – Still I don’t even want CoD players to switch to BF, because the gameplay is so different and difficult to em, so they’ll just ruin the game/teamplay, and camping and that kind of shit. Thanks for reading ;)

• Hired_Mark
          October 28th, 2011 at 11:57 pm

…. I just came out of a game where a little kid had somehow gottten hold of a mike and was calling for backup at B. However all he was doing was sitting in the container, staring at the point, whilst the battle was about 300m away. No wonder we got mouled over. Well, at least he was in a squad.

• killstreak38sbro
          October 29th, 2011 at 8:58 am

hey i have all of cod up yo now but i have bf1943 and i have played bf1,2 aswell i think they are fantastic games and im not getting mw3 cuz it going to be shit like mw3 but im getting bf3 today and ordering bfbc2 aswell just cuz i play cod it dont make me a noob i just like zombies cod can go suck battlefields balls cuz its going down

5. Dude
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:47 pm

If John Riccitiello had spent half as much resources on ensuring EA’s servers were up to the task as he did on marketing this game… Or if he’d expended half as much energy on making sure the techs and engineers had what they need to make the launch successful as he did on talking the game up to investors and the media…
    The launch of BF3 would have been free of much of the problems currently “plaguing” the systems right now. Xbox has had numerous problems, Origin is now having problems, PBuster issues, now PS3 servers are down (along with voice chat and rubberbanding issues)…
    I feel bad for DICE, they spend years making a fantastic game, and their publisher drops the ball at go time.

• Implied
      October 27th, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Punkbuster issues is a given, the thing has always had complaints and QQ with Battlefield (not to say most) Games.

Server issues, I was actually expecting. Makes me glad to be EU when a Battlefield Game launch comes, I know I’ll get it later, so most of them have passed me over.

• Gundam288
        October 28th, 2011 at 3:38 am

I found it funny that I was getting less lag on an EU server with 180 ping then compared to a US server where I had 60 ping on launch night.

I want to know who thought it was a bright idea to use an Intel atom CPU with almost no ram to host a 64 man BF3 server…

there are not enuff servers on the PC as well, I have to go to EU servers 90% of the time to find one with just ONE free slot…

• That Guy
      October 27th, 2011 at 11:15 pm

im pretty sure the marketing and technical sectors of ea are completely separate. taking rescources away from one wouldnt help the other so a reasonable amount is dispersed over both of them.it would seem aside from the few game bugs the server issue for consoles is the biggest one. its a fairly easy issue that has been encountered before and will be fixed soon.

• Gundam288
        October 28th, 2011 at 4:19 am

they couldn’t have spent a few extra million on some more servers and bandwith?

6. eviltj97
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:50 pm

DICE. STOP MINDFUCKING US WITH THESE AMAZING GAMES!!

• Gundam288
      October 28th, 2011 at 3:40 am

I think DICE is trolling us in-game now that we don’t have to stalk their twitters for game info…

• Gundam288
        October 28th, 2011 at 4:05 am

by that I mean there are a few unlocks u can only get by being a DICE employee. DICE, Y U NO UNLOCK EVERYTHING?

• Pugachev Cobra
          October 28th, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Lol, cause who in the world wants a suppressor for their shotgun? Or a 12x scope? XD

7. haloteen100
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:52 pm

theres gonna be more sold out by at black friday comes because im getting battlefield3 just for campaign and multiplayer, but mostly multiplayer

• Hello :)
      October 28th, 2011 at 11:14 am

Really you’re buying it for all 4 hours of campaign.

8. DvorakProductions
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:52 pm

They shipped 10 (Holds pinky to end of mouth) MILLION copies.

• Aeiou
      October 27th, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Oh noes! Its doctor EVIL!

9. Finnish guy
    October 27th, 2011 at 11:01 pm

and I haven’t even get the game yet:O

10. chris
    October 27th, 2011 at 11:03 pm

that doesnt make any sense why would u get modern warfare 3 wen it looks exactly like moern warfare 2 ….. there digging themselves there own grave while battlefield climbs

• Gundam288
      October 28th, 2011 at 3:56 am

Activision Blizzard (they are the same company, they did a merger years ago or something..) has been diging a grave for a while now. The Blizzard part has been doing it more and more recently. WoW has gone downhill for many years, Diablo III has always online DRM(didn’t Ubisoft try this?), SC2 pretty much killed a LOT map makers. (if blizz doesn’t like a map they will remove it…)

so, it really has been a steady thing over the years. I’m not sure if they are saying “FUCK PC!” or they just don’t care as long as you buy the products.

This has what the gaming industry has become today for most part, it’s sad but true. They pretty much say “We don’t care about the PC, only the consoles.” Just look at RAGE that came out not to long ago… so many problems on the PC, and because of that some people are talking about avoiding TES:Skyrim, one bad game can have a major impact on your future buyers…

• Implied
      October 29th, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Activision bought out Vivendi Games who’d bought out Blizzard Entertainment in 1999, creating Activision Blizzard, turning both Activision and Blizzard Entertainment into Subsidiaries owned by the same people.

Since then, Activision has set out to ruin WoW, starting with WotLK, and in turn Cataclysm (making the Game more and more Mainstream with every Patch). Pet Shop made another Cash Cow for them too. Now they’re making World of Warcraft: Kung-Fu Panda with a Pokemon Mini-Game inside of it. Don’t follow SCII News so idk what they’re doing there.

With Diablo III someone created the idea of an Online Auction House, spurring Blizzard in some stupidity behest to decide to put an Always-Online DRM on D3, claiming to the Public that “DRMs will soon be Mainstream.” Yeah, Ubisoft’s 90% PC Sales Losses are proof of that (and they’re still trying with Some Games AFAIK, claiming that their DRM Strategy works.. /Facepalm). They’re also looking for ways to bringing the so-far PC-Exclusive D Series to Consoles because “It plays well on a Controller.” Translated: “It means a shitload more Profits.” And, best part so far; NO MODS! They’ll actually BAN you if you use Mods. Its not that they’re just not supporting them/releasing Mod Tools, they want NO Mods at all, because they’re afraid their PayPal Sponsored Auction House Cash Cow will get hacked.

Fortunately Carmack (Lead Programmer/Project Lead for RAGE) admits they made a mistake pouring so much time into RAGE Console, saying when they started Development 6 years ago, Consoles were about the same as PCs, they didn’t calculate the PC Inflation Power. Of course, that’s no excuse for the bad PC Launch, but Doom 4 coming out from then next year, so let’s see if they really learned from RAGE or not, or if they’ve been totally Bethesda-ed.

11. Ammo
    October 27th, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Thumbs up if your getting bf3 this weekend

• That Guy
      October 27th, 2011 at 11:17 pm

thumbs up if you already have battlefield 3.

October 28th, 2011 at 2:53 am

England only gets it on the 28th. Can’t tell if you’re just stupid, or a troll.

• Gundam288
          October 28th, 2011 at 4:00 am

Origin DD, and change your IP to somewhere that it has launched already? thats what ppl were doing to get it early, via changing their IP to one from China for some extra hours suposedly. at least on PC anyway…

• unclewolf
          October 28th, 2011 at 8:53 am

Hes just being a dick..hes got his copy so screw everyone else.
          Id expect that from some 13 year old COD player,but frim a fellow battlefield player?..so much for our ‘superior’ community.

• P3rsia
      October 27th, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Thumbs Down Cause Got last Week :D

• DvorakProductions
      October 28th, 2011 at 12:47 am

lost my thumbs in nam

• HanzKrebs
        October 28th, 2011 at 3:22 pm

BF Bc2 ‘Nam? or teh real wan?

12. Suckme
    October 27th, 2011 at 11:08 pm

And we can tell about those millions because servers are down at least in southern Europe.

13. Kizenco
    October 27th, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Holy Cow! 10 millions!
    I’m actually happy with the launch. To bad for people that couldn’t activate the game at launch. But seems to get fixed now as some of my friends are able to play now. There are some disconnections now and then, but it goes fast to re-connect and I’m sure this will be fixed pretty soon. I sure hope so!
    Oh, and Battlefield 3 is fantastic.

14. Suckme
    October 27th, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Twitter@Battlefield

Battlefield Battlefield
    We are aware of networking issues affecting 360 and PS3 online services for #BF3. We are working to fix this.

15. Ziggy
    October 27th, 2011 at 11:41 pm

10000000 X 89.99 = 899900000.

Eight hundred, ninety-nine million, nine hundred thousand dollars.

• That Guy
      October 28th, 2011 at 12:25 am

not sure what currency youre using but the game was 60, not 90 dollars.

• Deadlock
        October 28th, 2011 at 3:23 am

Lol yeah try living in Australia where getting a game below 90 bucks is a great deal at launch.

• VineFynn
          October 28th, 2011 at 10:51 am

Cough54dollarscough at dungeon crawl melbourne

• Vegeta
      October 28th, 2011 at 5:15 am

iT’S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!

16. Techdude
    October 27th, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I bought modern warfare 3 for 6$ on amazon.

I love playing on rust, and afghan, and…

wait, that’s MWF2.

same difference

• Gundam288
      October 28th, 2011 at 3:33 am

why would you buy MW2? MW1 was the LAST new idea for a game they did, and it was mod-able on the PC. also, it’s prob. around $2-5 about now. prob. get it for $5 on steam.

17. Teddy
    October 28th, 2011 at 12:11 am

Too many people misunderstand the term “shipped”. This is NOT the number of copies sold. Just the number of copies sent out to retailers. It’s a huge difference, and as yet we don’t know what the actual SALES numbers are.

• That Guy
      October 28th, 2011 at 12:26 am

i dont one shipment of the game is going to hold, and this doesnt include all of the digital downloads so its a good amount higher than 10 million by the end of the second week.

• AK7007
      October 28th, 2011 at 12:31 am

Exactly. However, it is good for them that some retailers are sold out and need more. In my town, we have two gamestops for like 50,000 people, and I don’t think they were hurting for more copies on launch day. Considering that this is a college town, it probably means that select locations were overwhelmed when they prepared for a lackluster consumer response and got an enthusiastic one. Other locations not so much.

• young_gunnerz
      October 28th, 2011 at 11:51 am

I was just about to say that. The digital copies were not accounted for. BF3 is doing very well indeed. Cheers to DICE!

18. brazilian_shooter
    October 28th, 2011 at 12:46 am

Really sad here, everybody playing and I need wait 3 more weeks…

• HanzKrebs
      October 28th, 2011 at 3:25 pm

c ta doido vey? precisa nao! eu comprei na Origin e ja to jogando desde o dia 25!

u nuts? no you dont! i bought mine on origin and im playing since 25th!

19. )(O|\|
    October 28th, 2011 at 1:06 am

wow, bad company 2 had only 9 million units sold just a couple of months ago, and now 11 million. bf3 videos must have pushed a lot of people over the edge.

• Gundam288
      October 28th, 2011 at 4:04 am

I think the other part of why BF3 sold so well, was that CoD fanboys finaly gave up on Copypasta of Duty.

20. Evaen
    October 28th, 2011 at 1:20 am

I was so excited to play BF3 (Rented it from a local store) I didnt know it needed an online pass and now Im fucking pissed off. Why put a 10 dollar pass on an already 60 dollar game!? I swear they are just getting greedy!

• Washboard ABZ
      October 28th, 2011 at 4:47 am

you rented it!!! its not 60 to rent so why are you complaining? the people who paid 60 didnt have to pay 10 its free!!! buy a game instead of renting and youll know this

21. ClaudeBF34ever
    October 28th, 2011 at 1:23 am

I can’t tell the difference between mw2, blackops, and now mw3! Same exact graphics same gameplay.. Boring!! You cod suckers just buying the brand! Let the 8 year olds play those games that they begged their parents to get them!

22. ben
    October 28th, 2011 at 2:53 am

ok random wuestion- is anyone else having spawn issues? i literally cannot respawn after the first time i die…it just doesnt let me…even when i hit the “deploy” button, nothing happens…anyone else getting this?

23. J35T3R
    October 28th, 2011 at 3:41 am

hey blog why dont u do a story on all the pc players that had massive issues installing from disk its a great game when it works but instead of taking 20 mins everyone in my clan had issues installling bar one thats kind of rubbish 1 out of 10 installed properly and all the other issues affecting the launch pb manual updates massive procon issues these seem to be ignored as ur bangin on about how much it has sold

• Washboard ABZ
      October 28th, 2011 at 4:49 am

get a console!!!!

• zzerDrezz
        October 28th, 2011 at 7:56 am

I’m a console player but I still hate your comment.

• Washboard ABZ
          October 28th, 2011 at 6:18 pm

dont care lol facts are facts all i hear is nonstop pc bitches complaining about the game, shouldve listened to everybody before….get a console and these problems dont happen…my game plays flawless no connection problems nothing no lag stutter nothing. so ill say again get a console

24. Azab
    October 28th, 2011 at 3:55 am

Can we all just take a moment to acknowledge the difference between SHIPPING 10 million copies and SELLING 10 million copies. For all we know, 5 million of those copies are sitting in the back room of retailers.

25. Gundam288
    October 28th, 2011 at 4:10 am

I would love to see the sales of each platfourm, kinda intrested to see how people went in terms of platfourms, after the pre-orders.