On September 11th, 2011 in News

There has been a lot of mudslinging and smack talking between the heads of EA and Activision, where EA folks have repeatedly stated that Battlefield 3 is designed to take down Modern Warfare 3 and that Call of Duty will be over in 2-3 years. That’s EA when they’re speaking in general to create hype around their product.

However, the tone is quite different when they’re talking to investors and shareholders. EA CFO Eric Brown recently told a group of investors that they don’t expect Battlefield 3 to surpass Modern Warfare. Brown said:

“Just to be clear, the [Call of Duty] franchise did about 23 million units worldwide. We don’t expect to surpass them with this year’s Battlefield 3, just to be very clear.”

To borrow the phrase from Brown, “just to be very clear”, no one really expected Battlefield 3 to beat Modern Warfare 3 in terms of units sold, but it will most certainly give it a run for its money. Many industry analysts expect Battlefield 3 sales to top 10 million, and the game is off to a great start, if recent pre-order numbers are any indication: Battlefield 3 has been pre-ordered 1.25 million times to date, with a month and a half left until game launch.

1. AJ
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Are u joking?

• [AOD] ۜDeathۜ_FĀŦĘ
      September 11th, 2011 at 6:40 pm

The falling leaves
      Of CoDs green money tree
      Wither beneath it

BF3

• EvanThepilot
        September 11th, 2011 at 10:18 pm

PEOPLE, I LIED ABOUT EVERYTHING

• rob
          September 12th, 2011 at 5:17 pm

YES FOLKS!!! BF3 will not beat MW3 in unit sales, we all know that MW3 is a kiddie game, when we say BF3 will beat MW3 we mean:

1. gameplay
          2. graphics.
          3. tatics and destruction

everything about BF3 is just a thousand times better than MW3
          END OF!! get over it… COD…. you lost the race!!!

2. Impy
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Not to mention Beta hasn’t even started yet.

And no, no beta news. Obviously.

• Blarg
      September 11th, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Even if it wasnt direct I still knew there would be a comment relating to no beta news…

• Impy
        September 11th, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I actually did that to make sure the “so any beta news?” commenters would read it and decide not to post.

3. Luka Mijic
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

ofc not. They already beat them! :D

4. beast
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

ok

• maxbox99
      September 11th, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Exactly…

5. ImStalkinYou
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

off course BF3 won´t beat COD MW3 in sales, but it´s the gameplay i care about, and that´s what BF3 will beat MW3 in!

• EVODUDE999
      September 11th, 2011 at 8:19 pm

the BF serires will always beat CoD lol

6. Abeer Hasan
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Battlefield 3 player:There’s an enemy on the other side of the map,I will be beck in 20 minuits
    Modern Warfare 3 player:There’s an enemy on the other side of the map,I will be right back.
    BTW,

• Tenzing
      September 11th, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Battlefield player: Hey theres a bunch of campers in that building! Screw going in the building and risking our lives and just blow the house apart and kill them!

CoD (aka Can’t outsmart Dice or Can’t outsell Dice) player: Hey theres a bunch of campers in the building, looks like we need to go inside the building, take out any enemies inside, and then try to kill them, which we will probably die if we did this (goes in and realize that cod isn’t a team game so all his teammates didn’t go w/ him and he died).

• His royal Fresshness
        September 11th, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Happens every time, fuck going into the building, blow it straight to hell along with the camper, THERE IS NO PLACE TO HIDE BITCHES

• maxbox99
      September 11th, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Battlefield player: Squad get in that humvee we’re gonna flank them and take flag C, then we will come back to be so we have the advantage. We will probably get air support on our way back. There probably wont be that much people at C but be ready for the counter attack. GO GO GO

CoD player: I have just spawned, I’ma run in this direction to get some kills. Why is this teammate following me? He stole my kill! *dies* later on he gets a chopper gunner. Yay I’ma open up my laptop and play a mini game! How cool is that!

How bout that you smartass?

• maxbox99
        September 11th, 2011 at 5:39 pm

*come back to B

• kelleroid
      September 11th, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Your “reason” of MW3 being better is also the reason why CoD is such a spawncampfest.

Also, you forgot about using vehicles. In a jeep you can get to the other side of the map in just a minute, probably even less. But why would you? The enemy base is uncapturable, going there is just wasting resources.

But, CoD players can’t drive anything by themselves, so that’s why BF players will point and laugh at CoDies running through the map while BFers will roll on the tanks.

“They see me rollin’… They hatin’”

• bf3ANDcodplayer
        September 11th, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Yes, while bf players on cod will spend all day waiting for the helicopter to spawn.

Who really cares which game people get? Do you people *really* lose sleep over the fact that someone prefers a diferent game than you? All I see on this site is bs about “cod kiddies” or something since if you prefer a close quarters fast paced game you MUST be a kid.

Let people play the game they prefer, it’s not a big deal. What kind of deranged retard actually cares that people are playing a diferent game than him?

Oh, and maxbox, if you expect teamplay because it’s battlefield I highly reccomend you go play bf2, bf3 will be no diferent, people will be doing whatever the hell they want, I promise that people will be waiting at jet spawns so that they can fly it rather then jumping into a humvee as a squad and flanking the enemy.

In all of bf2, bc1, and bc2 how many people actually saw squads piling into 1 humvee and try to flank the enemy?

• maxbox99
          September 12th, 2011 at 12:07 am

Wrong! BF players wont wait untill the chopper respawn in CoD because BF players will NOT play CoD. (kidding…) Also, Ive seen teamplay in BF. Flanking the enemy in a humvee is something Ive done more then once.

But I agree, I hate people who bash. This is why I responded to this guy at first. I play the game I want and if you like CoD I dont give two craps, just dont come here with the only idea in mind to piss people off. Talking about that dude…

Bottom line, if I want real teamplay, I play project reality ; )

• inspectergadget
        September 12th, 2011 at 4:08 pm

What is that guy even doing on this blog. Maybe we should make an agreement. You keep out of our business and we keep out of your business. I have been on a few CoD sites and NON of them has a comment that says “BF3 is just better so screw you”. CoD player if you are reading this remember this. Non of us are enemies, we just have different opinions, and i respect that, so you go play some CoD while we keep playing BF3. Agree?

Btw. Battlefield is better ;)

• inspectergadget
      September 11th, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Battlefield 3 player: Alright. You, get in that chopper and give os some air support. You, will snip infantry from that cliff. You, i need a medic while taking the flag if anything should go wrong. Ready squad. LETS GO.

Modern warfare 3 player: I think i wanna sit in a corner.

• His royal Fresshness
        September 12th, 2011 at 12:01 am

I really like this hidden due to low ratings, Youtube should try this, think more ppl would stop arguing

• Yatz
          September 12th, 2011 at 8:58 am

Youtube did this and removed it later.

7. Sgt-Jackson_NL
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

ofcourse BF3 is better than all CoD series together. Jets, helicopters, tanks everything! ftw

8. zzerDrezz
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Wow, Eric Brown is dumb as fuck! Ofcourse BF3 WILL sell more than mw3…!

• Luka Mijic
      September 11th, 2011 at 5:07 pm

in your dreams

• Kernkraft
      September 11th, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Actually he is the CEO of one of the biggest companies in the world. I’m pretty sure he knows his business. Of course, I would love you were right, tough.

• Angela Merkel
        September 11th, 2011 at 6:02 pm

>EA?
        >Knowing business?

Downfall began after Tiberian Sun, and still continues. While it is very true Battlefield 3 will create huge revenue, resorting to a software where Battlefield 3 is the only reason people even took note on its existence, is not exactly the brightest way to plug that bleeding scar.

Force feeding this software players might just be the only reason why Battlefield 3 will never beat Modern Warfare 3 in Sales. And no, it’s not about supporting either, it’s just the bad business formula of Electronic Arts.

• Dimitri Medvedev
          September 11th, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Does Angela Merkel speak english? O.o

• xRamboXx
          September 11th, 2011 at 9:34 pm

uhhhh… unknown, I actually had a hard time figuring out why she used some of the words she did

• Kernkraft
          September 11th, 2011 at 11:07 pm

You DO know Angela Merkel is the current Chancellor of Germany right? It’s nor his/her real name.t

• CookiesPLZ13
          September 12th, 2011 at 2:09 am

I know tiberian sun. yea, bad business move, but i can see electronic arts slowly going in the right direction. by software do you mean forstbite? thats a gaming engine btw. do clarify.

• Dimitri Medvedev
          September 12th, 2011 at 5:47 am

Ofcource I know she’s Germany’s cancer. I was on a summit with her :D

• Angela Merkel
          September 12th, 2011 at 6:40 am

@Cookies

By this forcefed software I was speaking about our “beloved” Origin. Frostbite being an engine I don’t think it’s actually struck down the throat by force, it being a necessity for the game’s operation.

I don’t want to bash Origin cause it hasn’t still seen any real use, and I belive the magnet launching BF3 via Battlelog is fast. But like I said, forcing people to use a software that really just isn’t needed? Steam was bashed when it first came out yes, but nowdays it has proven itself. Maybe Origin will prove itself too, but it can only dream of competing against Steam. Again, Battlefield 3 is for Most the only reason to bother with Origin, and Steam still gets majority of games out there, not to mention all the good indie stuff. EA is in a very bad position when looking from escrow-point-of-view, and by limiting accessability of BF3 gradually, they’re digging their own grave.

I do enjoy DICE’s wonderful, wonderuful work. But because of EA, the series is dancing on a razorblade.

Peace & Love from Eurocrisis o/

• Kernkraft
          September 12th, 2011 at 10:56 am

@Dimitri Medvedev

Actually I was talking to xRamboXx who didn’t seem to understand the joke -.-

9. Wubstep
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Everyone go to physicalwarfare.com. It’s an EA BF3 site.

• Toshiro
      September 11th, 2011 at 4:44 pm
    • MrSprog
      September 11th, 2011 at 4:58 pm

No, even the official battlefield 3 account on twitter said that site wasn’t really owned by ea or dice

10. Goalieguy
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I honestly could care less about sales…

on a side note: I just tried black ops yesterday for the first time since july because i got BFBC2 and i actually laughed at how the gameplay is… The beginning of the game actually starts as a team but after the first minute, it becomes people just walking around in circles on the puny maps shooting anyone in site…

I laugh at how pro I used to think i was because i used sleight of hand pro and i would just walk in circles and as soon as I saw someone i would quickly scope in and kill them…

11. Abeer Hasan
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Modern Warfare 3 player:There’s an enemy behind the wall.

Battlefield 3 player:Then why don’t you blow up with your bazooka?

Modern Warfare 3 player:Because,it’s impossible.

Battlefield 3 player:Then climb up the wall and shoot them.

Modern Warfare 3 player:I can’t because,I can’t reach the wall and there’s no team mate to help

Battlefield 3 player:Then how the hell were you qualified for being an army?You should go to elementry school.JUST STAND HERE AND DIE!

Modern Warfare 3 player:(Has been shot)MEDIC,HELP,HE..L..P(Dead).

• kelleroid
      September 11th, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Funny how an MW3 player would scream for a medic when Last Stand/Second Chance perks are LOOKED DOWN by the so-called community of CoD. And you also need it to be equipped to revive others, I think.

• xRamboXx
      September 11th, 2011 at 10:11 pm

“Why dont you just blow up with your bazooka?” …. say what now?
      This is honestly the stupidest fucking thing I have ever read.
      being a battlefield player qualifies you to be in an “army” ? and MW players should… go to elementary school? what the fuck?

12. Abeer Hasan
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Battlefield is not a war simulation ,wars are simulations of Battlefield.

• xRamboXx
      September 11th, 2011 at 10:13 pm

HAHA… no.

13. Syuzeren
    September 11th, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Some people like CoD more then BF, in this case alot of people like CoD more. You can’t blame them, I don’t like McDonalds, i don’t bitch at anyone eating there.

Be happy that DICE wants to make the best shooter ever, stop thinking about MW3 because it doesn’t matter.

14. DOESNT MATTER
    September 11th, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I love battlefield more than any other game but you guy are embarrassing, cant you except the fact it probably will not pass COD in sales. But who knows in three years it might. And Just because you like it doesnt mean everybody will.

15. alex
    September 11th, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Where is your information source?

16. maxbox99
    September 11th, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Quick! Lets post something before theres too many post and my post ends up on the second page and no one reads it!

Of course it wont beat MW3 in sales -.-

17. ROFL BF3
    September 11th, 2011 at 5:32 pm

just as I saaid in an earlier comment: BF will get it’s respect in a matter of time becaus coCoD will have an worthy rival. what am i saying? they are no worthy rivals! CodD is no worthy rival for the best game of time! thumps up if agree down if not and for another reason leave a comment.

• PaulC2K
      September 11th, 2011 at 6:34 pm

thanks for explaining to us how the thumbs system works ;)

• xRamboXx
      September 11th, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I DISAGREE!! Er, no, wait, shit….. I was supposed to use the thumbs down for that right? fuck…

18. Unitarded
    September 11th, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I’m really glad the the realize that BF3 won’t beat MW3, sales wise (BF3 will how ever beat MW3 in every other aspect)
    I think that their awareness about this will minimize the risks of BF3 being a failure from EA’s point of view, thus will the BF franchise (and DICE’s) future be very much indeed secure :)

19. Port3r
    September 11th, 2011 at 6:10 pm

MW3 would only beat battlefield 3 in sales, but when is comes to core gameplay and graphics etc. BF3 crushes MW3

20. Sparenade
    September 11th, 2011 at 6:16 pm

BF3 Can’t beat MW3 in sales. We live in a world where quantity is quality. Just look at Justin Bieber. It ( yes IT ) has millions of viewers and most of them hate him. If MW3 was a person it would be exactly like Justin Bieber.

21. CoolyFrost
    September 11th, 2011 at 6:24 pm

This isn’t surprising, maybe when BF3 comes out it will get better reviews than MW3, rise in reputation and then BF4 will be the ultimate CoD killer. BTW Cod was always very fishy (Get it? ;P)

22. kelleroid
    September 11th, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Sales: yes, you can’t beat a casual trend designed for Xbox 360.

Quality: no, of course a real game can beat and wipe all the floors of a skyscraper with a trendy casual crowd pleasing “game”.

And remember, a game is successful if it earns more money than was spent producing/marketing it. Super successful if it also earns enough to fund a sequel.

23. [AOD] ۜDeathۜ_FĀŦĘ
    September 11th, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I wish DICE was a privately owned company like Valve.

24. DestroyDroid55
    September 11th, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Well I could have told you that. But I do believe he is right I think it will give it a run for its money. Call of Duty hasn’t had any real competition in 5 years. Medal of Honor was their first little try last year. This year they’re going big. And I think Battlefield will gain a ton of market share this year, and will be in in the incline from here on out.

25. beep41
    September 11th, 2011 at 7:30 pm

It will beat MW3, maybe not in sales, but in everything else (graphics, gameplay, etc.).

• NoFreakinIdea
      September 11th, 2011 at 9:30 pm

“We don’t expect BF3 to beat MW3 in sales”
      “….but we expect it to be better.”
      :D :P