On September 24th, 2011 in News, Rumor

Battlefield 3 Wii
At this year’s E3, Nintendo unveiled their brand new console. Called Wii U, the console is rumored to be 50% more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and a number of games were showcased at the E3 event, including a version of Battlefield 3.

Nintendo’s new console also features a groundbreaking new tablet controller, in addition to the Wii motion sensor. According to DICE developer Patrick Liu, the company definitely sees potential in Nintendo’s new console. Liu said:

“We definitely see potential in the Wii U, but I wish I had the breakthrough idea for how to exploit the new controller. We’re definitely looking into what kind of new stuff we can do with Wii U.”

A “breakthrough idea” sounds like a good start, as we’d rather not see a straight port of Battlefield 3 to the Wii U. During the first few years of the Wii, a lot games tacked on the Wiimote functionality, giving it a gimmicky feel. Sounds like DICE is taking a good first step by figuring out how the best utilize the new technology.

The Wii U is slated for release during the Fall of 2012, about a year from now. A previous report indicated that DICE would start development on the Wii U version late next year, which indicates a 2013 Battlefield 3 Wii U release.

1. [AOD] ۜDeathۜ_FĀŦĘ
    September 24th, 2011 at 1:00 am

Um, nope don’t really care. >.>

• ϞKRI||ƩX
      September 24th, 2011 at 3:13 am

Lol, I know right? I’m not gonna waste my money on some Nintendo made console, and wait 2 years for Battlefield 3, I’ll already have it beaten by then! Thanks Wii U, but, i’ll stick with my xbox. :P

*if I had a PS3, I would stick with that too.*

• JASHINHUNTER
        September 24th, 2011 at 4:36 am

You don’t “Beat” battlefield games, you play them until a new Battlefield games comes out (`∧´)ノ

• kelleroid
          September 24th, 2011 at 7:26 am

That’s CoD mentality.

You just play Battlefield. I think I would be playing BF2/BC2 sometimes even with BF3. Maybe.

• Ian
          September 24th, 2011 at 8:36 am

i played battlefield 2 until bad company 2 came out now im playing battlefield bad company vietnam and im waiting for the release of battlefield 3 on 27 okt 2011 :b

• FrusTricK
          September 24th, 2011 at 8:41 am

I’m still playing BF2, BFBC2 and the BC2 Vietnam expansion :)

• daniel
          September 24th, 2011 at 11:54 am

This. Battlefield is played until the next battlefield, usually 3 or 4 years.

• daniel
          September 24th, 2011 at 11:56 am

@kelleroid

No, that isn’t the CoD mentality, that is the “I’ll upgrade my PC when BFX comes out.” If you half ass the battlefield franchise you will lose the game.

• Impy
          September 25th, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I think he meant more like “I’ll have beaten the Campaign, I’ll have maxed out all 4 Classes and I’ll be rocking Hardmode beating up Noobs who think they can mess with the Pros.”

• Ivan2294
      September 24th, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I’d at least give it a rent, just to see how it compares. But I think we all know we’ll all get the WiiU anyways because it has Nintendo.

And Nintendo is awesome.

• Impy
      September 25th, 2011 at 8:34 am

Agreed.

I’m not saying this because I’m a hater now, I’m glad they’re making a new Wii, but that Controller looks…. Well, how should I put it? Lame. It looks like they tried to integrate an iPhone with Gamepad Controls, but failed to remember that even their 3DS can do 3D, so why doesn’t the Controller at least have 3D?

Besides that, 50% Graphics power boost – Not bad, but not great. Why can’t’ they use a current generation GPU or something? Or wait, its coming out in 2012, right? So use a 2012 28nm GPU. Seriously.

I see potential in it…. For improvement.

2. Battle Dog
    September 24th, 2011 at 1:01 am

I wonder how thats going to turn out, personally I prefer pc or console when it comes to first person shooters.

3. SickTwist3d
    September 24th, 2011 at 1:05 am

Hate to say it but I really, I don’t care, I plan on eventually getting a wii u but that will likely be in about 4 years when the price goes down, seeing as how we will mostlikely be getting the new Ps4 and xbox 720 late next year as well

• ϞKRI||ƩX
      September 24th, 2011 at 3:15 am

*Xbox 720 is not the official name*

Yeah, I’d rather get a PS4 or Xbox “720″ because then it would probably be 110% better than the Wii U, lol.

4. [AOD] ۜDeathۜ_FĀŦĘ
    September 24th, 2011 at 1:05 am

How’s the weather in 4 hours ahead of the east coast land?

• Impy
      September 25th, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Wouldn’t that be somewhere in the Pacific Ocean? :O

5. Bhdoa
    September 24th, 2011 at 1:06 am

“We definitely see potential in the Wii U.”
    Well at least somebody does.

• ϞKRI||ƩX
      September 24th, 2011 at 3:15 am

^ Quote of the week.

• FrusTricK
      September 24th, 2011 at 8:43 am

True that! What I find hillarious is that they say that the Wii-U is going to be 50% better than the Xbox 360 and the PS3… When a god damn nintendo handheld beats a stationary console in performance then you know that something is fucking wrong :/

6. The MAN!!
    September 24th, 2011 at 1:08 am

PFFFF

7. Noah
    September 24th, 2011 at 1:08 am

lol what a joke

8. Nintendont
    September 24th, 2011 at 1:25 am

Too bad it’s doomed to flop. 3DS is only the beginning.

• MrSprog
      September 24th, 2011 at 3:12 am

Introducing the 4ds. You can feel the screen!!! How amazing is that?!? No, no matter how many times you threaten us with death, we’re going to shove our gimmicky crap down your throats. (Not including old school systems of course.)

• kelleroid
        September 24th, 2011 at 7:29 am

Nobody shoves it down your throat without you agreeing, we’re in capitalism, freedom of choice.

Unless you are a zombie that is easily brainwashed by advertising.

• daniel
          September 24th, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Or own a mac…

wait…

• MrSprog
          September 24th, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Brainwashed, no, but lots of tv advertising gets on my nerves.
          Mostly joking though, but it can be hard to tell since Microsoft hasn’t integrated emotion settings with writing yet.

• Ivan2294
      September 24th, 2011 at 3:29 pm

>implying 3DS is failing.

Monster Hunter 4 pretty much guarenteed the 3DS will outsell everything ever in japan.

• Impy
        September 25th, 2011 at 8:37 am

3DS will out-sell the 80+ Million PSP Sales? Really? Wow…..

Or wait, nope, sorry. Not going to happen.

• Ivan2294
          September 26th, 2011 at 3:48 am

1. They’re in different generations of consoles. If we’re counting things from every gen, then PS2 is the best selling thing ever.

2. 3DS is outselling the PSP right now anyways, and the point of this comment was to show it was going to be a success. Number 2 isn’t necessarily bad.

9. Nick
    September 24th, 2011 at 1:28 am

Interesting. I’m not a fan of Nintendo except for maybe Smash Bros, that’s about it lol

10. Materialism
    September 24th, 2011 at 1:39 am

nintendo… nintendo.. wait… was that the company that made goldeneye? I thought they went out of business like, 10 years ago???

• Toshiro
      September 24th, 2011 at 2:52 am

Their Wii console has outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3 combined. I think they’ll be in business for a long time ;)

• Materialism
        September 24th, 2011 at 3:01 am

SHhhh! do i look like some suburban mom trying to find a way to bond with my gamer children while at the same time finding a way to “excercise” in the comfort of my own home??

• ϞKRI||ƩX
          September 24th, 2011 at 3:16 am

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

• FrusTricK
          September 24th, 2011 at 8:47 am

SPOT-FUCKING-ON MY FRIEND :D

Cant believe that a handheld is delivering some Hardware ass-whoopi’n to the 360 and PS3 :) that’s just epic to see a Nintendo handheld that beats Sony´s and Microsofts current lineup :)

• Ivan2294
          September 24th, 2011 at 3:31 pm

No, if you were that you’d have bought a Kinect.

If you were a gamer who plays EVERYTHING you’d have gotten a wii, 360/PS3, and PC.

Best setup right there, get BF3 and Arma on PC, some console exclusives, and all the amazing Nintendo games.

• daniel
        September 24th, 2011 at 12:02 pm

And Durex has sold more SKUs than all of those combined, or all game systems combined for that matter, making it the best game platform ever. I daresay, I hope to see DICE announce battlefield for the Durex.

11. ChrisIzSikk
    September 24th, 2011 at 1:54 am

I loved the old-school nintendo :)

• EuroScept1C
      September 24th, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Only Nintendo could give us and handle graphics like those on “Donkey Kong Country”, back then! All the competitors at that time have died already ( Sega, Neo Geo etc )! Only Nintendo is still going on…

My best moments with Street Fighter 2, NBA Jam etc.

• EuroScept1C
        September 24th, 2011 at 9:13 pm

And of course I’m talking about Super Nintendo ( 16 bit )

12. yams in a can
    September 24th, 2011 at 2:05 am

Pfff bound to flop. Wii did something awesome. Nintendo loss out to Playstation because it was unable to change to a disk format, which actually gave birth the Playstation.

They are innovating, and making something great. It actually looks like the successor to the whi.

Let’s hope we see Battlefield 3 on the Wii U ^^.

13. Bloody Ghillie
    September 24th, 2011 at 2:13 am

50% more powerful than ps3 and xbox360 ?! Hmmn, when was the last time Nintendo came out with a console with good graphics?

• daniel
      September 24th, 2011 at 12:06 pm

50% more powerful than 2 6 year old game systems?! Hmmn, isn’t is about time someone made a system that is only 3 years behind current technology?

There I fixed it.

14. Dude
    September 24th, 2011 at 2:28 am

DICE: “we definitely see [dollar signs] in the Wii U”

/fixed

it’s okay, DICE, we understand.

• VineFynn
      September 24th, 2011 at 2:46 am

EA: “we definitely see [dollar signs] in the Wii U”

/fixed

it’s okay, DICE, we understand.

15. tanzaman98
    September 24th, 2011 at 2:34 am

Playstation is better than Xbox and Wii is for little girls. 

• ϞKRI||ƩX
      September 24th, 2011 at 3:18 am

OMG stop with this nonsense!! This is a site for battlefield, not to have some little fucking console flame war… Everyone bought their fucking PS3 for a reason, everyone bought their Xbox for a reason, everyone bought their PC for a reason, and everyone bought their Wii for a reason. Opinions are opinions, let people have some for fucks sake.

• NvidiaFoLife
        September 24th, 2011 at 6:23 am

I think he stated his opinion pretty clearly. My opinion? Well I’m not entirely sure if PS3 is better than xbox, but one thing I do know for sure is that you gotta wear pink panties to play on a wii…

• Ivan2294
          September 24th, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I have a PC and PS3.

I also have a Wii.

Why? Because Nintendo, that’s why. Your argument is invalid.

• tanzaman98
      September 24th, 2011 at 3:50 am

Sorry Xbox people didn’t mean to offend. That’s just a joke that my friend told me. I think they’re both good systems. The only things I don’t like about Xbox is the controller and that Xbox live costs money. But other than that it’s a good system. But Wii, Wii just sucks.

• JASHINHUNTER
      September 24th, 2011 at 4:38 am

I have a Nintendo Wii.. I am not a little girl.

Mario games are pretty fun *shrugs*

• daniel
        September 24th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Maybe not a little girl, sorry we couldn’t tell you from one though.

• Ivan2294
        September 24th, 2011 at 3:34 pm

*High-five*

Real gamers give everything a chance!

• I am the letter Q
      September 24th, 2011 at 6:58 am

Yeah, because you’re the ONLY person that the Wii could possibly be marketed to. It’s not like it’s catering to a completely DIFFERENT audience than you, the Wii was totally made for hardcore gamers like us.

Ugh.

16. VineFynn
    September 24th, 2011 at 2:45 am

CONSOLE FLAMEWAR TIME ^^

Anyway, to those of you saying that the Wii U isn’t going to deliver, look at it’s specifications on wikipedia.
    I’m not sure about the controller though.

• ϞKRI||ƩX
      September 24th, 2011 at 3:20 am

Please don’t announce it, because then people will start…

>.<

17. _Meece_
    September 24th, 2011 at 3:07 am

Some people here are really arrogant. The Wii U is a good console. It will have much better exclusives than PS and Xbox. Also the Wii is the most successful console to date and I don’t doubt for a second this will be a success. Simply for the fact it’s NINTENDO.

• Counterflak
      September 24th, 2011 at 3:12 am

It was only successful because it rode that wave called the casual market. With evidence that that market has slowed down recently, it’s only a matter of time before Nintendo goes the way of Sega.

• Colt_Gun
        September 24th, 2011 at 3:54 am

not possible… to go they way of sega you have to be good for your time, which is something that nintendo fails at repetitively.

• BlastCore
          September 24th, 2011 at 8:27 am

That and releasing multiple consoles, handhelds, and peripherals/extensions within mere months of each other.

18. I am the letter Q
    September 24th, 2011 at 3:20 am

Wow, lots of hate for the Wii U. I can’t wait to see how they put the new controller to use, it could be pretty cool.

19. NvidiaFoLife
    September 24th, 2011 at 3:54 am

Wii U?? FUUUU!

20. DreadsGhost
    September 24th, 2011 at 4:21 am

Well this is pointless… but it might sell well because people will be interested in its shitty controler… again… plus it will be cheaper… again… plus moms have heard more about it and know it doesn’t have as many gorey games on it… again… and will be kid friendly… again… or it can flop ruin there stocks even more and then die off and be forced to sell there games on PS3/360 and the new consoles. But thats just me wanting to play super smash bros again XD

21. Yo Dawg
    September 24th, 2011 at 5:02 am

All you guys saying “mommy buys it because it’s not gorey” well when i was 8+ I was watching rater, R, play GTA, and listening to Eminem. LOL so there are quite a few moms who dont care. ;)
    I actually turned out well too :P
    Anywhore, the console looks interesting i don’t know about BF3 on it though.

• DreadsGhost
      September 24th, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Same here… i never said there weren’t moms who didn’t care, i’m just saying that the wii market is driven towards kids and casual gamers. There for its cheep and doesn’t have that many games that are gorey.

22. like a BOSS
    September 24th, 2011 at 7:08 am

HAHAHAHAHAHA….sry i just had to laugh at the title…

23. Tgod12
    September 24th, 2011 at 7:49 am

Pii U

24. COLDKILL
    September 24th, 2011 at 8:03 am

I wonder if the wii u will be the only console powerful enough to run BF3 with 64 players.

25. Ian
    September 24th, 2011 at 8:33 am

if its true that the wii u is like 50% better in performance then the xbox 360 and the playstation 3 i definitly gonna try it out!

• daniel
      September 24th, 2011 at 11:59 am

The Wii U is an xbox 360 cpu with a 4800 ati GPU. It is roughly as powerful as my 2007 PC. My current PC is about 250% that, and it cost 600 USD. The Wii U is crap, the Xbox 360 is crap and the PS3 is crap.

• Colt_Gun
        September 24th, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Hardware wise they are, but that dosnt make the console as a whole crap… When your opinion is nothing but hate, keep it too yourself eh?

• ϞKRI||ƩX
          September 25th, 2011 at 4:04 am

A-fucking-men… I’m tired of PC fags always talking shit on how shitty consoles are… It’s about the gameplay and fun, nerds, not who has the better graphics… I don’t care if the game still looked the the Alpha on medium settings for the console, it’s how the game plays that counts. And that’s what DICE has specialized in for the past decade. Thanks DICE for letting us console players play such a great game, even though oyu didn’t have to make it for consoles. I am super lucky. PC people just take this shit for granted. Have fun playing on your $1,200 rig, I’ll stick with my $300 xbox.