On August 11th, 2011 in News

EA Origin BF3There has been some confusion over how EA’s new Origin service will be integrated into Battlefield 3. Battlelog plays a big part, with the ability to browse servers and join a game directly from the browser. But according to DICE’s Daniel Martos, Origin will be required in order to play Battlefield 3 if the game is bought in retail. We don’t know whether this is true if the game is downloaded through a digital download service other than Origin, but we suspect Origin will be required no matter what.

This isn’t a big surprise, as many games these days require a client to run in the background, most notably games from Valve, where Steam is required. However, it can become an issue if the client is draining CPU power, which was the case with Origin during the Battlefield 3 alpha trial. Of course, it was only an alpha, so many tweaks and fixes are bound to happen. Another issue is memory usage among these clients, both Steam and Origin appear to use somewhere around 50 MB of memory during a game (but that can depend on the game and other system specs).

Last week, EA confirmed that Battlefield 3 would not be released on Steam due to certain Steam rules where DLC and patches must be provided via Steam.

1. FloppY
    August 13th, 2011 at 11:36 am

Congratulations EA, you just lost yourself a customer…

You must understand it’s a matter of principle, if Origin is a success, other developers will do the same and we customers will have to install >30 digital distribution clients to play our games..

Steam did it best, first.. let them keep it that way…
    I like having all my games in one place…

Besides, nothing good has ever come from EA marketing….

• sUckEr pUnCh
      September 29th, 2011 at 4:17 pm

agree

2. Andrekoi
    August 13th, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Terrible, i already use Steam, i don’t want another client forced to me, for a PC-centric game you guys are doing completely wrong. Well, CODMW3 is now an easier choice.

3. AthlonDude
    August 13th, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Yeah I responded to EA over their bogus e-mail they sent me and I have heard nothing from them so far. I did post that e-mail in several other forums, but EA took down my posts and sent me a warning on a couple of them that they could pull the plug on my account if I didnt stop citing a term of service violation.

4. Leo
    August 14th, 2011 at 12:05 pm

FUCK you EA ……how dare you force retail customers to use a 3rd party program,,and just as i was starting to gain trust in the company again

• sUckEr pUnCh
      September 29th, 2011 at 4:15 pm

u rock :D

5. Skrillex Sux
    August 16th, 2011 at 2:22 am

hahahaha,

skrillex sucks….

6. AthlonDude
    August 16th, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Well I got another response from EA and they are STILL insisting that Origin is not required to be installed if you buy the DVD version of the game so I don’t know what the hell to think.

7. David Oslin
    August 25th, 2011 at 7:21 pm

This game just graduated to Flop Status. Avoid Origin like the plague. It will scan all software on your computer. It is stated in the EULA of origin. DO NOT PLAY AN EA GAME REQURING THIS SOFTWARE IF YOU VALUE YOUR COMPUTER’S SECURITY!

8. Cheese_puffs
    August 26th, 2011 at 6:15 am

Fuck man I’ve been with steam since like 2006-Present there isn’t a way I’m switching to that piece of shit Client just so they can make more $. It’s just a game I’m not gonna die over it, Oh and fuck you EA <3

9. Soluxis
    September 2nd, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Welp, that’s another game I’m not going to be getting. I’m avoiding origins like the plague, just seems like EA trying to ride on the coat-tails of Steam and make money by doing what the folks over at steam have spent years perfecting.

10. Hellraiza
    September 23rd, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I won’t buy it due to this origin thing… I only use steam, and I will not accept being forced to get another annoying background program to run my games… When Steam first became needed to run valve games, I did not bought anything else from them, just kept ma good ol’ half-life with the CS mod… I just came to eventually accept steam once they’ve started selling sorts of “virtual media” from all games, not only valve’s… The service is good, using the credit card and all, we have updates and everything, it’s running smoothly now, but, EA is focusing to take on their market thinking that people really value their second-class games…

Sure they have many great titles, but most are just money grinding buggy releases that aren’t worth a penny… They push Dev teams to release unfinished games, they charge differently for each part of the world(which means I will be forced to pay more for games in their stupid origin system), the system will be 100% flawed, I can cut my balls off if it doesn’t, it’ll never work… Also I won’t have two different “digital medias” for my games and I am extremely mad at these “exclusive” content crap they do on consoles, and EA is trying to bring it onto PCs…

Anyway, they will charge around 25% of any game value due to their “coin table” for ppl from my country, they wanna force us to use a flawed piece of crap system, and they are forcing “exclusivity” on all EA games into this new crap… Seriously, from now on, I won’t buy anything else from EA…

The worse is that later, they’ll cry about piracy, and blame it on PC releases… haha pathetic fools

11. GNU/Blind
    September 24th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Why no mention of EA’s dubious eula?

12. Swedish Someone
    September 24th, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Too bad about the Origin requirement, I was really looking forward to Battlefield 3 but the EULA is just well… Not acceptable.

13. Os
    September 27th, 2011 at 5:24 am

Well, origin sucks, i installed it to get the open beta and i have problems with it even before i actually try to use it for anything, half the times it wouldn’t open, some other times it wouldn’t store settings, the UI is really ugly and non-practical, but i guess EA is going to be the good old EA, doesn’t pay attention to feedback and doesn’t give a shit about its customers. I was definitely gonna buy BF3 but if origin is required no matter how you get it, i probably won’t.

14. sUckEr pUnCh
    September 29th, 2011 at 4:14 pm

BF3 beta works?????

15. sUckEr pUnCh
    September 29th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

EA should release Cricket 09 :(

16. will2kill
    September 30th, 2011 at 8:08 am

i cant log into origin….. any ideas?

17. will2kill
    September 30th, 2011 at 8:09 am

i cant log on to origin to get the beta any ideas

18. Dodek
    October 4th, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I’m cancelling my preorder RIGHT NOW.

19. Pak1t
    October 5th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Wow, i kinda feel ignorant here but do THAT many people not run two monitors? I kinda figured that was standard in 2011. Or, you know, 2007.
    Having battlelog open and stats updating in real time (or close to it).
    And searching for servers just my sliding my mouse across…. it’s the most convenient thing in the world
    I’d hate to have battlelog integrated with the game. Would be slow as hell and inefficient to get to from my perspective.

• Annoyed gamer
      October 18th, 2011 at 4:06 am

Having two monitors won’t change the fact it is still a background program. Two monitors just splits it. Game on one monitor, programs on the other so no issues with minimising. But there is still the problem that most people tend to hate having programs running in the background slowing their gameplay. You still only have the one pc running, both game and program on the same pc. You can have 3 even 4 monitors and the program would still be running behind your game, effecting your gameplay.

20. Nemesis
    October 5th, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I preordered the game and I really hate origin after the stint they did with eula i dont want it on my PC we should petition against Origin being made to be installed. They dont listen people should threaten cancelation of BF3 preorders.

21. Xbox Battlefield 3
    October 8th, 2011 at 10:15 am

you are truly a excellent webmaster. The website loading pace is amazing. It kind of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a magnificent task on this subject!

22. Noso
    October 12th, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I think they should just have battlelog an in game thing and the game runs like any other pc games does and not open anything

23. lee
    October 14th, 2011 at 10:07 pm

which will be the best way to go for bf3? buy” preorder” or later with” disk”

24. Aaron
    October 15th, 2011 at 6:45 am

I completely think that forcing people who want to purchase and play Battlefield 3 to have to use Origin is a complete waste of time and money. xbox doesn’t have a client for Battlefield 3. PS3 doesn’t have a client for Battlefield 3, so why should the PC be any different? This is a bunch of BS if you ask me and it will create more problems for users than it will help because many people during the beta were having problems with first Origin, then the Battlelog, and then finally Battlefield 3 itself. I myself never got to play the beta on PC because of the 3 way Origin/battlelog/Battlefield and how no one could quite figure out which part of the system was failing so the game wouldn’t launch. They should just make it like battlefield 2 or 2142 or any other game where the game launches and then you join a server, WITHIN THE GAME.

25. Annoyed gamer
    October 17th, 2011 at 4:54 am

This is not a way to run a game if they want a lot of people playing. If origin is required in order to play B3 then fine, I’ll live. But to ONLY be able to use Letters, Numbers, – and _ in your name and nothing else. You are going to run out of different variations of names and run out of available/ usable names full stop. That is rediculous and stupid and all other symbols should be available to use. They should fix that. I’m pissed that I can’t use my original gaming name from the original vietnam game. I have been loyal to Battlefield from the begining, love the games, love EA. But this is just frustrating and annoying.