On August 11th, 2011 in News

EA Origin BF3There has been some confusion over how EA’s new Origin service will be integrated into Battlefield 3. Battlelog plays a big part, with the ability to browse servers and join a game directly from the browser. But according to DICE’s Daniel Martos, Origin will be required in order to play Battlefield 3 if the game is bought in retail. We don’t know whether this is true if the game is downloaded through a digital download service other than Origin, but we suspect Origin will be required no matter what.

This isn’t a big surprise, as many games these days require a client to run in the background, most notably games from Valve, where Steam is required. However, it can become an issue if the client is draining CPU power, which was the case with Origin during the Battlefield 3 alpha trial. Of course, it was only an alpha, so many tweaks and fixes are bound to happen. Another issue is memory usage among these clients, both Steam and Origin appear to use somewhere around 50 MB of memory during a game (but that can depend on the game and other system specs).

Last week, EA confirmed that Battlefield 3 would not be released on Steam due to certain Steam rules where DLC and patches must be provided via Steam.

1. JohnLocke
    August 11th, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Battlelog AND origin? C’mon man.

That chat feature and all the other spices Battlelog has are pointless being you have to hit WINDOWS key or alt+tab and even then your screen will freak out and sometimes fail (don’t know if that was just up with the Alpha) – and Origin… plus we have Origin friends list and a Battlelog friends list?

ea/dice fix your stuff..

August 11th, 2011 at 8:33 pm

lol yeah EA does have alot to fix.

By the way, Alloyy, is now ϟKRI||ƩX.

• Blarg
        August 11th, 2011 at 8:45 pm

How is that pronounced? Krill-ex?..lol it kinda reminds me of some sort of bug poison :P

August 11th, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Skrill-ex. Kill with an S in front of it, lol.

• not a spammer
          October 24th, 2011 at 9:35 pm

that would be skill-ex not skrillex even you dont kno how to spell your name hahaha kill with an s in fornt is skill

2. Other Brian
    August 11th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I am gonna laugh and laugh and laugh if PunkBuster ends up having problems with Origin. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit.

• JASHINHUNTER
      August 11th, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Punkbuster informs you that YOU HAVE BEEN KICKED DUE TO PACKET LOSS…

*continuously headbutts table*

August 11th, 2011 at 10:32 pm

*Keeps headbutting until blood starts spewing out of hole in head. Dies of blood loss* Oh no! I guess we won’t be hearing from Jashinhunter anymore… *sigh*

• Other Brian
          August 11th, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Was this post really necessary? All you’ve done here is take an on-topic thread about an aspect of Battlefield, and hijack to continue a personal argument. I understand his insulting you below was equally uncalled for, but surely there was a better way to respond than this. I also acknowledge that you have a right to post what you want, but just because you CAN say something doesn’t mean you should.

I often agree with the BF-related opinions you voice in the comment sections here. But comments like this don’t reflect well on yourself or the BF3Blog community.

August 12th, 2011 at 12:01 am

Lol it was a joke, I was waiting for him to reply back, so i could say, “ZOMBIE!” but no. I guess you had to ruin it. -.- and the only reason why im not talking about battlefield right now… IS BECAUSE THERES NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT. nothing is new, haven’t you noticed? I’m bored and tired of hearing about setups at places i cant visit because i’m not fortunate enough to go see BF in action. Nothing is new. That is why. Yes, it was uncalled for, and i am sorry for that. Just once there is REAL news abot battlefield that I can actually critique and agree or disagree with people on, i have nothing else better to do than to re visit old posts or the same post until the next one comes with slightly newer info. This is not my fault, this is no ones fault, but EA and DICEs.

August 12th, 2011 at 12:04 am

and if you REALLY want to get technical, your post about me didn’t hjave anything to do with battlefield either. Instead of replying to me, you could have said nothing, but you chose not to. Just like I chose not to. You see what I mean? Not even you, a BF enthuisiast has nothing to talk about because we already know all the info that has been given to us. Do not reply negative to me again, I am human and make mistakes, but so are you, and so DO you.

August 12th, 2011 at 12:07 am

Give me a fucking break people. Once there is some actual news, then I will actually get involved in talking about it. And also, to the people who dislike every comment I make, I’ve already said this once, I’m sorry for the past. I have realized what I may have said and done before was wrong. Go ahead and comment against me, but if I have something truly and honestly good to say about someone, something, or battlefield in general, either like it, or do nothing. If I do say something that offends you, or something you don’t agree with, then dislike me, I don’t care. Please take this seriously, as I am.

• Other Brian
          August 12th, 2011 at 12:55 am

I’m fully aware that I’m just as prone to error as you. All I’m asking is that you and everyone else keep the discussion Battlefield related. Surely you’d agree that keeping quiet when you get bored is a preferable alternative to starting controversy with inflammatory comments. There are plenty of people who hate on you just because they think it’s funny, but some of your remarks do come off as just pure trolling.

You’ve made it very clear you want to move on from the past, but that’s something that needs to be shown, not told.

Now that I’ve said my piece on the issue, I won’t discuss it any further if you don’t want me to. Back to Battlefield.

• mr clean
          August 12th, 2011 at 5:30 am

This! This is why most people here don’t like you!

3. Contantrum
    August 11th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I don’t like the idea of this “client” tangling itself up in the game….

cheers for the update!

4. Anttwan
    August 11th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

BOOOOoo

5. R4Z8R
    August 11th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I think it would be best if the Battlelog was implemented as an in-game feature,not something to launch from your browser, thats inconvenient. To me Battlelog is just pointless – just add the battlelog fetures to the game and get rid of it. Origin on the other hand is to primitive at the moment. Yes it is a Beta but still I hope they improve it because it is waaaayy below the class of Steam for example.

• Kierenblade
      August 11th, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I completely agree with you!!

• BlueSmiley
        August 11th, 2011 at 5:56 pm

² that

• Alloyy
          August 11th, 2011 at 8:08 pm

For the console, isn’t battlelog going to be integrated? I think I remember hearing about that somewhere…

• Camila
      August 12th, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Well… considering that Steam toke more than 7 years to works like its works now (and needing various updates and good aditions), i think its too imature compare a tool with less than 6 months to it.

I started with Steam in 2004, when there is no friends system, and only games that are selling on it was Valve games.

Every system that integrate social network need years, many years to look like something nice, or cool. Even Facebook constantly get update and change the ways how works. If we dont give a chance, we never know if could turn to an amazing tool. People complaining that EA just want to make money to their own, and what did Valve with Steam? Same thing. Its good to have some FAIR competition in online distribution, lets see what happens

• Shak
      August 13th, 2011 at 12:48 pm

People read this On the alpha you could press shift and f1 to open an ingame origin window. This is like steams alt and shift. I felt like more of you knew about this…

6. Asgaro
    August 11th, 2011 at 5:26 pm

“However, it can become an issue if the client is draining CPU power, which was the case with Origin during the Battlefield 3 alpha trial.”

Uhm what? I didnt have any problem.

• echo5rom3o
      August 11th, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Of course you didnt if your running high-end specs. I didnt either I think that its refering to the pc gamers that dont have that high of specs or are wanting to run it at its required sys specs. How ever it all blows up I have to agree that I think that battlelog while it would be nice to have something from dice for stat tracking would do much better as an “in game” feature. And as far as EA’s Origin is concerned we’ve all seen southpark just money hungry grubby assholes, but we have to deal with them to play one of the greatest fps’s ever (in my opinion).

• Paul duckyead
        August 12th, 2011 at 12:15 am

How do u know it’s the greatest. Isn’t even out yet

7. NoFreakinIdea
    August 11th, 2011 at 5:36 pm

what do you guys think, if i pre order the limited edition from a hungarian retailer, will i get the Back to karkand DLC?

• NoFreakinIdea
      August 11th, 2011 at 5:41 pm

ok it was way too off-topic. I dont liek the idea though… i dont like origin that much… +my pc is crap so i can be glad if BF3 runs on minimum settings + battlelog + origin will increase my memory and cpu usage… great -.-’

8. Dave247
    August 11th, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I don’t like the idea of EA forcing you to use Origin to play BF3. We all know it’s no where near where steam is and probably never will be. It would be very silly if you had to first launch Origin which then launches Battlelog which then launches the game. For the people who bought it on Origin then this would probably be the case but for everyone else this is just going to cause a lot of unnecessary problems that will annoy BF3 gamers like hell because all they want to is just play the game.

9. UNF0RGIVING
    August 11th, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I know EA did a good decision for taking BF3 from Steam because it seems like ALL DLC’s in Steam require a charge, and if this happens, the free map DLC from pre-ordering will not be possible.

This also happened for Crysis 2 since they wanted to distribute the DX11 and Hi-res patch for free.

I want to know a game that has a DLC and is free of charge from Steam ;)

Nothing against Steam, just that EA wanted to make an offer and chance for people to get something for free.

• Other Brian
      August 11th, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Brink’s Agents of Change DLC was free for the first two weeks of its release. Also Post Apocalyptic Mayhem, Trine, Magicka and Sanctum all have free DLC.

So, yeah.

• Robin
        August 11th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Also consider this, steam doesn’t set the initial price of products on steam, the game producers/resellers do. So you want to complain about the price of add-on DLC, go back to them. Steam does a good job of setting up sales to move the sale of products when they aren’t moving.

There are a lot of DLCs that are freely available within and without steam. Steam is just the sales platform and management of the products installed on your system or in the cloud. I kinda like the way steam has grown up over time and keeps games patched, but I really wish they’d implement a contact number for issues instead of deferring everything to the forums or product vendors. That’s my only gripe with steam.

• Other Brian
          August 11th, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Exactly, Steam is just a store; they only have minimal control over pricing. Ultimately I don’t think there’s any feature-driven reason EA’s breaking with Steam, they just want customers to use their service instead.

Which is part of why I’m so critical of Origin. I have no problem with EA developing their own product. But if they want me to switch from Steam to Origin, they’d better make Origin just as good as (or preferably better than) Steam. So far they haven’t convinced me they’ve made a superior product.

• Bob
      August 12th, 2011 at 2:01 am

The thing is, why have DLC at all before the game is even launched? It should be standard in BF3. They just maimed the game for a few more bucks, as if US$60 wasn´t enough…

• Marlowe
      October 11th, 2011 at 10:30 am

Left 4 dead and Left 4 dead 2 have all free DLC

• TwistedAnarchy
        November 25th, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I have yet to pay for any DLC for Team Fortress 2…

• Atrius
      October 28th, 2011 at 10:30 pm

You want a name: The Witcher it is. It had its DLC launched as a update of the game added game mode etc etc… and customers were not charged. The producer decides if they are gonna charge or not. Steam just distributes.

10. Luka Mijic
    August 11th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

you complicate a bit too much.

11. Slurpy
    August 11th, 2011 at 6:57 pm

It was a big problem for me on the alpha trial. I had to close security programs and other clients just to get it working. And obviously it ran slowly. I was running it on a PC with 4GB of RAM. However, the alpha trial was brilliant apart from this, running clients with games causes too many problems.

12. avalanchefan
    August 11th, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I hope this doesn’t happen on consoles where you have to log in with an EA account to play the game like the Crysis 2 multiplayer demos.

• ArithonUK
      August 12th, 2011 at 7:43 am

Actually, you will have to login to an EA account on the consoles for BF3. So the little black boxes haven’t escaped the NERFing either…

13. matt
    August 11th, 2011 at 7:09 pm

And this is why we won’t see it on steam. Origin must be installed and used to play battlefield. Steam wants its store front in your face and EA want its store front in your face.

I think DLC is only a secondary issue.

• Other Brian
      August 11th, 2011 at 7:15 pm

This, exactly.

14. Latinoplaza
    August 11th, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Does Origin have other games besides ea games

• JohnLocke
      August 11th, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Yes, in fact Portal games and Left 4 Dead are on the EA store.

then again; ea only published them.

but what you’re asking; no you will not see Call of Duty, or Skyrim on the EA store/Origin.

15. Spitfire
    August 11th, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Didn’t like having to launch the alpha from Origin and then again through the browser. I was hoping it would change before launch but this doesn’t help my reluctance of buying it at all.

I was incredibly annoyed having to launch 2 programs to launch a 3rd.

16. AndriesVDB
    August 11th, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Sorry, but this news is really old…

17. Tomsky
    August 11th, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Right well fuck that, I’m just getting it on console now. (If I get it at all)

18. AO1JMM
    August 11th, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Hahaha! Steam fanboys were already pissed at the loss and now the Origin haters are going to be pissed.

Where is the boycotts at???

I’m going to so enjoy my Origin BF3 preorder that much more now.

• Robin
      August 11th, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I wouldn’t mind if Origin wasn’t a web based wrapper and was a more mature product. However, even steam had to go through its early stages to grow into what its become.

Do I dislike Origin? Yeah, its clunky and not very user friendly right now. Its got a lot of growing up to do. That will come in time. In time for BF3? Very doubtful.

August 11th, 2011 at 10:46 pm

It’s in the Beta stage still. Not a finished product, they will fix the things that people complain about.

19. Solio
    August 11th, 2011 at 8:22 pm

You guys are top subject on Bluesnews.com!

20. ϟKRI||ƩX
    August 11th, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Sorry for the name changes, but Alloyy is now ϟKRI||ƩX.

• JASHINHUNTER
      August 11th, 2011 at 8:51 pm

What is wrong with using one name? you’ve changed 3 times now.

Try not to leave millions of messages and saying stupid things and I’m sure people won’t get annoyed at you and thumb down your comments.

August 11th, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Haters gonna hate. :) ϟKRI||ƩX.

• bacix
      August 11th, 2011 at 9:16 pm

why did you change your name into something like that?

August 11th, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Have you ever heard ϟKRI||ƩX? It’s pretty good. Google him.

• bacix
          August 12th, 2011 at 7:13 am

he’s pretty good.

• mr clean
      August 11th, 2011 at 10:44 pm

here’s an idea – change your name, but don’t tell us who you were before.
      start clean.

August 12th, 2011 at 12:46 am

I will take that into consideration.

21. bormerex
    August 11th, 2011 at 8:48 pm

will this only be for pc?

22. JASHINHUNTER
    August 11th, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I’m happy I got my Bad Company 2 game to validate on Origin, now I will have 2 Battlefield Games on there..

I’m still a little sad over the whole Steam thing though, I have a lot of games on Steam.

I am updating my Computer right now to play BF2 :>

• JASHINHUNTER
      August 11th, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I mean BF3.. ugh.. why 2.. why are you so close to 3.. xD

August 11th, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Jashihunter… I’ll leave as many messages as I damn well please. Freedom of speech my friend, its a powerful thing.

August 11th, 2011 at 10:38 pm

And the reason I change my name so much, is because annoying little kids on the internet, such as yourself, think it is funny to copy certain characteristics of Identity fraud. What that means is people like to annoy others by taking their name, and acting like them, in order to trick others into thinking that is the original person. Plus, I like Dubstep, furthermore, I like Skrillex. I wish to remain Skrillex, but that wish will probably not come true, because people over the internet have a false sense of self satisfaction when taking someone else’s ideas or ways of entitlement.

• Colt_Gun
          August 11th, 2011 at 11:54 pm

with great power comes great responsibility… your lacking that responsibility with some of your posts my friend.

August 12th, 2011 at 12:46 am

Not sure if trolling, or just really stupid.

• Anonymous
          October 27th, 2011 at 6:53 pm

First you are a bitch. Second complaining about identity fraud is ridiculous for two reasons 1. you are writing under the name of a dubstep artist 2 no one would ever want to be you(see first sentence).

23. CoolyFrost
    August 11th, 2011 at 9:37 pm

OFF TOPIC:

Hey! I’ve been play BF play 4 free today and I have to say it brings back good old BF2 memories, one thing i don’t understand thou and if anyone can help me plz do. I chose assault and it said i would have c4 but i don’t have it even in my training panel. Help would be appreciated ;)

August 11th, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Did you drag and place the C4 into your inventory to be selected during the game? If not, try that.

• CoolyFrost
        August 11th, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Thx for the reply, no i didn’t do that and didn’t actually know you needed to do that but it wasn’t there :( Oh well ill use my frags which i didn’t know where they were. Thx any way Excision (BTW im always calling you this cause i don’t like alloy and can’t type dude frikin letters xD)

24. 보수주의
    August 11th, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Stop fucking QQing and be glad that any country other than Sweden will be getting the game.

You fatass Americans should pay more respect to other countries than only your own. Noone of the Battlefield games would ever exist if it wasn’t for Sweden.

August 11th, 2011 at 10:40 pm

And you wouldn’t have the Xbox, or the PS3 to make the game on if it wasn’t for the US. Quit being inconsiderate of others and just be glad that everything can come together in such a wonderful game.

August 11th, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Add PC to that list also, because video games actually created computers, which is why Apple stole hardware from Atari and made the first Home gaming computer called the Apple I. It all originated with Pong and Space Wars. Google it for yourself.

August 11th, 2011 at 10:43 pm

You can also reference History Channel’s documentary “Video Games: Behind the Fun” from 2007.

• Colt_Gun
        August 11th, 2011 at 11:55 pm

PS3 is Sony…. which is Japanese.

August 12th, 2011 at 12:10 am

Ok, well then still, Xbox and PC then, the two biggest platforms.

August 12th, 2011 at 12:10 am

I want you to try to prove me wrong.

• Tummynator
          August 12th, 2011 at 9:55 am

PC one of the biggest platforms?

You’ve been Proven Wrong

• dvToxic
          September 27th, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Ok, you’ve already failed with the PS3 (PS3 = Japanese) and now you fail again. The PC (is not equal to sign) to US, ok? Your pc is made of many parts, produced in different countries. Most of the countries that produce computer parts are located in USA, Taiwan, Japan and South-Korea.

Seriously, Skrill-Ex, when I see your comments I see a lot of thumbs down. And you are suprised about that?

• Other Brian
      August 11th, 2011 at 10:46 pm

DICE = Swedish
      Sweden != DICE

There’s a difference.

• bryar96
      July 19th, 2012 at 1:21 pm

ok not bagging on any country but umm on bf3 servers are constantly going down and they made is origin crap required so maybe our country isnt the best but atleast we make good games just saying

25. RxBandit
    August 11th, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Lol. I could care less if origin is required. Sucks for those who don’t have the hardware to handle it.

• Kalle
      August 20th, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Rx what the hell are you talking about?you need beastly hardware to open up origin?trolling?

• MootWoot
      September 9th, 2011 at 2:31 am

It sucks for you, too. Fewer people having tech to play the game = fewer people playing game = fewer servers = little variety, higher latency (bc of larger locale to fill server), less competition.

It is extremely important to balance game technology with average user/current technology because it increases the success of the game, and thus, the number of people playing; It would be absurd to create an elitist game for massive multiplayer appeal, and make it available to only the high-end market demographic.

^Kalle, the daemons running while bf3 is operating bloats the cpu power and ram, making it underperform. The best thing to do on the user end would be to integrate battlelog, make the browser utility optional, and run 1-2 SMALL daemons in the back. What they are doing now is too early in development to be a success. Nobody wants to see another everquest online scenario on release night.

• JacksonMO
      October 29th, 2011 at 4:03 pm

You could care less?
      Really?
      Well, you wrote a post about it, so it seems to bother you. Looks like you’re telling the truth.