On August 12th, 2011 in News, Rumor

BF3 Specact soldierYesterday we reported that Origin would be required to play retail copies of Battlefield 3, and possible digital downloads as well. This wasn’t a big surprise and most gamers wouldn’t mind, but we’ve now got some news that might arouse some anger and disappointment among fans.

In the past Battlefield games, players would create an account for the Battlefield game (e.g. BF2 or Bad Company 2), and they subsequently could create several profiles or soldiers to play as. Now, according to DICE’s Daniel Matros, one’s Battlefield 3 soldier is tied to the Origin account. In the Battlefield 3 alpha, one’s soldier name was the same as the Origin profile, and there was no way of changing it or creating a new soldier. In order to change your in-game name, you had to change your Origin profile name. However, this was an alpha version, and it’s a possible that certain player features were turned off.

But Matros specifically commented on Twitter regarding the ability to chose a player name in Battlefield 3 by saying “your name is linked to your origin persona“. It suggests that there would be only one player per Origin account, which is quite disappointing, seeing how the feature was available in almost all other Battlefield games (we’re not certain whether it’s possible to create multiple Origin profiles without having to re-purchase games). Unlike consoles, PC players have had a choice of not only choosing their name, but creating a new soldier and starting from scratch, if they so desired. This also leads us to believe that Origin will be required regardless of where Battlefield 3 is purchased — retail or any of the digital distribution platforms.

We hope that this isn’t the final decision regarding player profiles and that DICE reconsiders keeping the feature that was present in many Battlefield games. And while we can understand why EA would tightly integrate Battlefield 3 into Origin, this is perhaps taking it a step too far.

1. Other Brian
    August 12th, 2011 at 7:47 pm

DICE is gonna get a lot of heat for this, but this has EA’s foul scent all over it…

• x-men
      August 12th, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I think… let’s make a new boycott! i don’t want to launch dozen apps just to play one goddamn game, f*ck you EA and your stupid Origin… it’s gonna fail anyway.

• J Money
        August 13th, 2011 at 6:17 pm

F**king EA! Its always the publishers trying to make more money, I can guarantee you this is all EA, Dice has very little say in stuff like this.

• FPSxPR
      August 15th, 2011 at 3:53 am

THUMPS UP if you think that battlefield 3 is like a buggati veron so few
      —————– drivers for somthing amazing. And Call of Duty is like a Toyota so many drivers for a Plastic pis of shite!!!!!!! :-)

• VineFynn
        August 21st, 2011 at 2:40 am

At least Toyotas are reliable, dickhead. I’ve had one for 10 years and it never broke down.

Not that I like COD.

• NoFreakinIdea
        August 24th, 2011 at 1:05 am

horrible comparison, Toyota’s are one of the most reliable/safe cars on the planet…. It’s just a bad comparison. Toyota’s are good, and not a “plastic piece of shite”

• Deaz75
          October 16th, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Sounds like FPSxPR might be a genuine redneck, eh? But on the other hand, then he probably would have named GM or something else by American origin…

I have not tried the other games such as COD, so I can’t do any comparison, but I love the Battlefield-series. My brother is into IRacing and some flightgames (don’t know which), and one of the guys he’s teaming up with, was actually an employee in the U.S. forces. He said BF3 is the best, most realistic first-person-shooter, specially when he’d seen the Thunder Run trailer!

Now about this “only one soldier per account” and “your name is linked to your origin persona“, perhaps that can turn up positive? I’m so NOT a skilled computer user, (like a hacker), but couldn’t this actually be used against cheaters? I mean like track them to their accounts and perhaps shut them off from gameplay for a period? I’d LOVE that! I really hate cheaters!

Anyway, the BF-series is one of the few titles EA actually keeps updated from now and then, and doesn’t just forget about them. Not like the Need For Speed-series, maaan, they’re like a “fire-and-forget”-missile! When those games start to bug, they just forget about them and move on with the sequel!

OK, now i’m gonna stop nagging and move on! Peace!

• Robin
          October 27th, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Werent Toyotas the cars that were having the throttle stick and causing people to have to crash to stop??? Not that safe

• curtissurfer
        October 17th, 2011 at 5:26 am

U mean to say volts wagon right?? Shitty cheap ass European car is like COD Garbage.. LOL :)

• Traki
          October 17th, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Not that it has to do with the topic at hand.. but at least european cars are built not only to drive in straight lines.. unlike american vehicles european cars can actually do curves properly.

• horribert
          October 20th, 2011 at 9:57 pm

well if you meant “volkswagen” then let me tell you they are one of europe’s biggest and best car producers … so you made your point – not knowing shit about the things you post online

you only need one look at the interieur to tell an american car from a european car: it’s (of course not always) cheap plastic versus fine leather

• Chiron
          October 31st, 2011 at 11:16 am

But european cars get you home, not just to the gas station, where you have to fill up your SUV every two hours. ;-)

• Battlefield player
        October 22nd, 2011 at 8:08 am

although it was a bad analogy, its not the point… really are you so down to nit picking?

• emz
        October 25th, 2011 at 8:26 am

I’ve had my Yaris since I passed my test and nothing has ever gone wrong with it minus my inside car light bulb going. Not to mention they are of good build quality.

I know this was a few months ago but think up a better comparison next time. Then again I doubt you’re old enough to drive anyway. ;)

Also I am hugely disappointed that I cannot change my soldier name. My profile name is usually “emz” (which is too short for Origin) and I cannot even change my display name in Origin unless no one else has that name. Yet I can do this without problem on Steam? If I could do this in Origin at least I wouldn’t mind this too much as my soldier name wouldn’t be identical to my Origin account name.

Come on DICE, don’t take the lazy route and simply tie the account and game name 1-1. That’s not cool. :<

• Dracozeus2007
        October 27th, 2011 at 7:15 pm

No….. BF3 is more like a well tuned Ferrari, its does the job, damn well I might add and looks sexy as hell doing it. COD on the other hand is more like a Ford Pinto, It might get you there but looks like shit, you never want your friends to see you with it, and in the end you just want to kick who ever designed in the face. ;)

• ORion
        January 24th, 2012 at 7:10 pm

If reliable and safe is what you want in a shooter then fine drive you C.O.D. toyota. Me and my big boy friends will take the Bugatti Veyron’s, Pagani Zonda R’s, and the Koeniggsegg CCX’s that is battlefield 3. dude no one cares that you drive a toyota any random driver can jump into that car and go.( Just like C.O.D.) You cant just jump into a Veyron turn the key and go(cuz the Veryon dose not have a starter key) The point being you would not take a fuckn toyota over a european super car so dont be stupid toyota man play the big boy game drive a big boy car. (OH and if you dont know the camry is the ultimate i give up in life car)

• Me Yo
      September 11th, 2011 at 12:42 am

According to EA Origin Live chat. That was an Alpha thing only, and you will be able to create a new soldier name

• Battlefield player
      October 22nd, 2011 at 8:12 am

does that mean out of all the player identities you can have… pc players can only have one soldier eg; they can only have one assault class, or one sniper – im a little confused – either way i have a console but i may be buying this game on my pc once i get the requirements

2. Q3id
    August 12th, 2011 at 7:48 pm

EA’s Origin is going to go belly-up soon, and it will be funny when it does.

• avalanchefan
      August 12th, 2011 at 8:30 pm

In my honest opinion, game publishers have got to stop linking game profiles and in some cases, the ability to play the games to a game client.

Just let us play our games in peace without extra money-making schemes. >__<

• Techdude
        August 12th, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I kid you not, that my friends (who pirate EVERYTHING) said, this was the only thing that would POSSIBLY stop them from stealing BF3.

Screw my friends, I pre-ordered at gamestop.

• be_cracked
          August 20th, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Yeah, but the old system they used in BC2 also worked.
          No cracked MP!
          But when they now will implement LAN this can become a probleme…

3. Pierogi210
    August 12th, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Why is it when EA is mentioned with Battlefield 3, it always negative? Stupid EA, leave DICE and Battlefield 3 alone.

• EuroScept1C
      August 13th, 2011 at 10:32 am

Because they’ve hit Goldmine. They know this is gonna be the best game many Gamers ever had and they try to benefit as much as possible.

Indeed, if DICE was alone in this situation, could be the best Dream for gamers. A pure clean BF 3 with the best dedicated servers system and nothing more. Evil EA but I guess we can’t do nothing more than just being upset.

• Dan
        August 14th, 2011 at 7:54 pm

But where would they get the cash?

• Other Brian
          August 22nd, 2011 at 8:28 am

Exactly. This is really the price we gamers pay for demanding so much from developers. There’s no way DICE could fund a project of this scale on their own, so to deliver the sort of game we’re asking of them, they have to get in bed with a publisher like EA. They get the resources to make the best game they can, but the tradeoff is that EA gets to call some of the shots.

It can be unfortunate, but if we want a stellar product this is what we have to accept.

• Zinix
      August 30th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Without EA, DICE would be nothing. You can make the best game in the world, but with out money and backing like EA has given DICE you wouldnt be able to even complain about Battlefield 3. EA owns Battlefield not dice. They are just the guys that EA pays to make it.
      Just like any write of say a book or program with out a publisher or someone to back them and put up money and get the product out there. They wouldn’t have people reading there books or using there software.
      I’m not saying that EA is doing the right thing. but alot of games require a platform to run on. Such as Steam or Xbox Live (for xbox 360). There just networking tools. And alot of games have solo accounts/soliders such as Halo 3 or Reach, MW2 and Black ops all have one solider.

4. NoFreakinIdea
    August 12th, 2011 at 7:50 pm

idk whats the point in it.. even though i have one soldier only, many people loved this feature… bad idea, why do they have to screw up?

• NoFreakinIdea
      August 13th, 2011 at 2:59 am

also, one of the things i loved in BFBC2 is that i didnt need any other apps to play it, (i have the physical version) or download updates, etc… it worked well with its built-in downloader, i only had to log into my EA account, i didnt need a GFWL or Steam account… only my EA account which i can reach easily ingame. i loved this simplicity, but this is going to be taken away. Thank you EA…

• JonnyT
        September 13th, 2011 at 7:53 pm

The login you used for bfbc2 is the login for origin

• 12345
          October 17th, 2011 at 3:06 pm

You got no idea don’t you? They tie your EA MasterID (aka, your OriginID), yea, but what @NoFreakinIdea said, YOU NEED A 3rd PARTY PROGRAM JUST TO RUN THE GAME!

5. DarkSpikeX
    August 12th, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I always used 1 profile whats the need of having more?

• Kierenblade
      August 12th, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’ve seen some people have 2 accounts, one is their main account and one is for messing around, like TKing your team.

• CPUFailure
        August 12th, 2011 at 8:27 pm

You just awnserd the question as to why they added this. To avoid people from creating accounts just to go around and TK. Now if the do this, they’ll never get anywhere with the progress of the ranks etc

• Nate
        August 12th, 2011 at 9:35 pm

oh so thats the reason for more than 1 per person? please change it to 1 then…

• kelleroid
        August 13th, 2011 at 5:25 am

No it’s fucking NOT the reason for only 1 person, you absent-minded fools.

People may have several accounts for many other fun reasons:

* play incognito;

* experience the joy of unlocking everything again;

* the main one: several people on one PC that don’t play simultaneously.
        BF2 had no link to the account whatsoever! You just activate a CD-key so it is recognized as a good one by servers! Only then you make a soldier with a name and password, it was only looking similar to EA accounts.

Same with 2142, but x4. Every account could have 4 soldiers max, but you could still have infinite accounts tied to a single CD-key!

All this is just a pity excuse for EA to steal more money from players. That’s right, STEAL.

• Freefall25
          August 16th, 2011 at 5:26 pm

how about your seperate people get their own shit and not use yours ,…its called business you absent minded fool …just because you whiny ass internet babies cry doesnt mean they will do anything you absent minded and sinple minded fool how about not bitching before anyone even knows anything ..this article is RUMOR it says linked to the persona ……..geuss what girls you can have 100 personas ,.. i have 15 and can switch between them. ever though of that ?

• RedNight
          August 23rd, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Well, You can’t Spell STEAL without EA.

• sole21000
          October 7th, 2011 at 10:53 am

I want multiple soldiers because my origin names sucks since my steam name was unavailable and I couldn’t think of anything witty on the fly. I would create a new origin account but then I’d have to repurchase the game now wouldn’t I?

• brian26
          October 11th, 2011 at 9:42 pm

what about ppl who share ps3 because i share with my bro. will he still be able to play on his account or what?

• Scianyde
          October 25th, 2011 at 8:00 am

I share a console with my man. This is a bunch of bull I have to buy another copy just to get my stats going. Robbing SOB’S. Never will I buy two copies of one game not worth my money

• dupo24
          October 25th, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I need more than 1 soldier. I have 3 boys who want to play online as well as myself. The fuck if i am going to buy 3 copies of BF3 so my kids who live in my home and are 13 and under can play on a game i already fucking own. Fuck you EA. I am kinda sorry i bought this game ….. Pisses me off when i can’t share a game with my kids and goddam publishers expect me to buy another copy .. pure bullshit.

• lolerskater1234464578
        September 19th, 2011 at 8:18 am

In BC2, I had 3 soldiers. One was for me and the other 2 for my 2 brothers.

• ojrask
      August 21st, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I like using a secondary soldier as a “guest soldier” so my pals can play a bit without ruining my main soldier’s points or reputation. :)

6. MosquitoPower
    August 12th, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Maybe this means my Origin persona is my soldier(s) name. There are two options:
    1. Only one soldier per account) I create an engineer named *originname*.
    2. Origin name equals to soldir name) I create an engineer named *originname*, but I wanted to try medic and created a medic named *originname* along the engineer.

I hope 2nd option happens.

• bacix
      August 12th, 2011 at 8:20 pm

you actually choose the class in-game, not when you create your soldier like in BF P4F

• avalanchefan
      August 12th, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I’m thinking it’s, ‘I create a soldier named ORIGINNAME and that soldier can change classes and such like a regular soldier. However, I can’t create another soldier whose stats are 0 at the starting linked to the same origin account.’

So basically it’ll be like the console’s versions of Bad Company and Bad Company 2 were, one player named the same as the PSN ID or Gamertag and that soldier can be any kind class (your supposed to level the characters in each class that you like obviously -___-) and you can’t reset or anything unless you delete the save profile…I think (I’m not going to try and check).

• Other Brian
      August 12th, 2011 at 8:41 pm

That’d be terrible, then you’d only ever be able to play one class without logging out and logging back in to a different account. Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean?

• BF3 YO
      August 12th, 2011 at 9:11 pm

one soldier does not mean you pick one class for the whole MP experience..

• BF3 Fan8112
        August 13th, 2011 at 12:08 am

To straighten things out i’ll try to explain to you who are confused. On previous Battlefield Titles you could make more than one account. Example i could have one account thats a level 36 and another whos level 18. Each account would also have different names when you play. Example: The level 36 is XxKillaxX and the level 18 is BigBoomin. Now EA is saying that you can only have one Account fot BF3. You will be able to play as an assault/medic, support, recon, and enginer on your one account. This pretty much means you have to play under one name, but you are not limited to wjat class you want to play. The class system is exactly like BC2 where you choose in game. Watch the alpha footage on youtube for proof of that. I hope this clears things up for people who are unsure of what they read

7. Alvatraust
    August 12th, 2011 at 8:29 pm

What does it mean by creating a soldier?

• avalanchefan
      August 12th, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Creating your profile in-game.

• JASHINHUNTER
        August 12th, 2011 at 8:40 pm

You have your account, then under your account you can make seperate soldier’s, so you can sign in as a different name, and each soldier has it’s own stats and stuff like that.

• Alvatraust
          August 13th, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Oh I see. Thanks guys

• Freefall25
          August 16th, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Yes but thats just it there is a small amount of people that use more than one account , i use 1 and thats it . but its kinda like prestige in cod , i thought it was useless to do …you only got some diff badges or whatever they are called

8. JASHINHUNTER
    August 12th, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I can see this as a good thing to smack down on hackers, which I am getting very very annoyed at in Battlefield Bad Company 2.

But.. I would indeed want to be able to change my name.

9. Jack
    August 12th, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I don’t see the problem with this, why do you need more than 1 soldier? i dont see why its a big deal….

• Jack
      August 12th, 2011 at 8:51 pm

well maybe i guess if you want to have one for serious play and then one for just messing around so your K/D doesnt get bogged down but wouldn’t even that allow people to be a D*** without any repercussions?

• Evanthepilot
        August 12th, 2011 at 9:44 pm

what does K/D have to do with bf3, thats what cod promotes, You know the thing that confuses me that most about cod is why people brag about k/d if you not going to get any Trophies/Achievements by completing it, what a waste of time

• Jack
          August 13th, 2011 at 11:12 am

it was just an example….

• Blarg
        August 12th, 2011 at 10:06 pm

COD is K/D, I’d rather BF focus more on SPM then you’d see which people actually contribute to their team

• kelleroid
        August 13th, 2011 at 5:28 am

well maybe i guess if you want to have one for serious play and then one for just messing around so your SPM doesnt get bogged down

• Alvatraust
          August 15th, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I care about my k/d ratio. On bf2 I had like a 2.20 and I allways contributed to my team.

10. maxbox99
    August 12th, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Dumb.

‘nough said…

11. Elitemane
    August 12th, 2011 at 9:01 pm

hmmm, i’m on console and i don’t see a problem with it,can somebody tell me why is this a problem,be nice please i already got a lot a hate towards me in this past week due to my email being hacked.

• avalanchefan
      August 12th, 2011 at 9:07 pm

That’s because there is no problem with it if you’re on console (like me :D ). This already exists on consoles anyway, it’s mostly the PC players who have to adjust.

• Abeer Hasan
        September 6th, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I am playing this game on xbox 360.Do I need to worry?Does it mean I get to choose only one class(Assult,support,engineer or recon)?To be more specific,if I choose engineer,I can’t ever play as a support?

• plumokin
      August 12th, 2011 at 9:22 pm

np, me, skrillex (excision/alloy/dubstep), and probably some others thought u were being different.

people like creating one account to mess around on, and another to play seriously on

• Evanthepilot
        August 12th, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Alloy is know Skrillex the band, isn’t that the 2cnd time he changed his name this week?

• plumokin
          August 12th, 2011 at 10:10 pm

yup lol

• ϟKRI||ƩX
          August 12th, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I only changed my name because people like identity theft, and keep stealing my name, hopefully i don’t have to change it ever again. Anyways, I’m glad your back Elite, someone went on this website and seriously messed with it. He hated on me alot, lol. I was very skeptical as to whom it was, and I denied it was you the whole time, and I happened to be right. Glad to have you back. :)

• Evanthepilot
          August 12th, 2011 at 11:40 pm

@Skrillex thanks for not believing that fat basturd was me, he was supposed to help me with my lag with my ps3, so he then asked me for my email account, guess it hurt, but somehow he cracked it and changed it to a ridiculous 400 character password which keep me out, so i had to call Microsoft and wait for like 2 days then wait on my cellphone until the battery died, meanwhile this guy was looking through all my passwords and schedule and contacts since i actually use skydrive feature with hotmail in which i keep EVERYTHING including my ssn ,birth certificate, etc ,the guy even bought 300 of junk in my name like a pair of pumas (girly tenni shoes) ,long story short he made me look like a asshole, still cleaning the mess, good thing i called everyone.

• plumokin
          August 12th, 2011 at 11:53 pm

@elite wow, thats intense, i didnt think it was u at first but then wen bf3blog sed it was ur email i didnt kno wat to believe

• Other Brian
      August 12th, 2011 at 9:25 pm

On PC you used to be able to create multiple soldiers with your EA account. So if you finished leveling and wanted to start, or play around with kits without it hurting your K/D or W/L, again you could just create a new soldier. It wasn’t a huge feature, but it seems like there’s not a real good reason for removing something a lot of people used.

Good to have the real you back. Hackers suck.

12. elitist fail
    August 12th, 2011 at 9:02 pm

WHY! WHATS WRONG WITH CHNGING NAMES!

• Evanthepilot
      August 12th, 2011 at 11:55 pm

are we ever gonna going to play a match, i been waiting to get a better score than you,
      also here are some ps3 clans
      eliteman
      Greenberats
      Team fury
      HEAT
      Pixel Enemy

13. JASHINHUNTER
    August 12th, 2011 at 9:03 pm

To bf3blog, can you please find out ‘how will the DRM work on Origin for Battlefield 3′ This is the most important question there is for a PC gamer wanting to buy BF3.

Will we be able to re-install the game as many times as we like? or after a few installations of the game will we get locked out of the game and need to call up EA tech support to get more activations?

Or will it be like BFBC2 where we can use the disc to validate the game?

Or will we have an option to validate the game online when the game is run?

I will be the angriest person in the world if I am locked out of my game just because I re-installed it a few times.

14. HELLO
    August 12th, 2011 at 9:08 pm

does this effect console players at all

• Other Brian
      August 12th, 2011 at 9:15 pm

As I understand, no. Since your online data is tied to your gamertag/PSN ID, it’ll probably be just like most other online FPS’s and give you one character.

15. Nathan
    August 12th, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Is that so, DICE?

Well, stick it up your ass then! I’m buying RO2 if this is true! (And maybe MW3 for the sake of it!)

• Blarg
      August 12th, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Trollers gonna troll

• avalanchefan
      August 13th, 2011 at 1:14 am

Well considering that this barely affects a serious Battlefield player…you are an idiot.

• wlmeng11
      October 11th, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Don’t blame DICE, they probably didn’t have a say. Blame EA.

16. plumokin
    August 12th, 2011 at 9:23 pm

i finally pre ordered bf3 on origin, and now i find out about this, i dont think origin is that bad, this will annoy me a bit tho…

17. Jiffer
    August 12th, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Seems like this game has just lost all tournament/competitive purposes. I don;t know if you guys know this but there is a mole in EA who is trying to destroy this game within the company… this only could explain why all these dumb fvcking changes are taking place…. I think the mole must work for COD franchise.

• iBass
      August 12th, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Ya that must be it! Definately!
      Or, maybe aliens think that BF will train humankind too much in the ways of warfare, and thus they are disabling it!
      Get real.

OT: I don’t see the problem, but I’ve mainly been a console gamer (start downvoting now).
      Perhaps they want to get a more clear view of unique players?

18. mr clean
    August 12th, 2011 at 9:35 pm

you can use a different e-mail and create a different Origin account. same thing as creating a new profile for PS3. i have 3 that i use for BC2, and they all now have an Origin account.

• 12345
      October 17th, 2011 at 3:26 pm

19. Nate
    August 12th, 2011 at 9:38 pm

who cares. console players, like me, have always had one player for any game because it is through your gamertag or psn id. there is no need for more than 1. if u want 1 to mess around with or to start over, create a new ea account! duh! wouldnt it get confusing to have numerous accounts, though? unless you started over and only used 1 at a time, i guess.

• Elitemane
      August 12th, 2011 at 9:41 pm

you’re right on that one

• Evanthepilot
        August 12th, 2011 at 9:42 pm

cmon stop changing my name

• ϟKRI||ƩX
          August 12th, 2011 at 10:44 pm

haha

• Teddy
      August 12th, 2011 at 11:56 pm

The difference is, on console you can simply log out and log into a different profile, run the game and there you go, new character.

On PC, if I log out of Origin and log into a different account on it, the game will not run unless I bought a second copy.

Things may have changed on console with the advent of ‘Online passes’, from EA, but that’s the essential difference. If you had a child who wanted to play, you could simply create a second account for them and they could go ahead and play away whenever you weren’t.

This has nothing at all to do with combatting cheaters or TKers, despite the spin they’ll try to put on it. It’s all about trying to make everyone who plays the game a seperate purchase, even if they’re in the same household.

Oh well, accurate stats aren’t worth another $60 to me. Just another slap in the face that will make me less likely to buy EA games in the future. Pity this game is too good to consider skipping.

• avalanchefan
        August 13th, 2011 at 1:15 am

That’s a good point I suppose…

• Tummynator
        August 13th, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Finally .. someone who tries to set those console douchbags straight … not saying all console players are douches but it gets pretty annoying when someone says “Oh i dont care, im playing on xbox or ps3 trololol” when they dont understand how stuff like this works

• Gavin
      September 7th, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I’m a PC gamer. I have always had one profile on BC2. I never even considered making another one. I’m fine with the decision to limit accounts. I say fuck the retards that want to jack around on other accounts because they know there will be no statistical consequences for their “main account”. I don’t really see the big deal. Hopefully, if anything, it will deter TKers, hackers, and other assholes.

• 12345
      October 17th, 2011 at 3:28 pm

You do know that your OriginID is linked to your games on PC since they have Digital Download versions (Non-CD). So if you make a new account, you don’t have the game linked to that new account you’ve just made, which means someone out there who wanted that UniqueID won’t be able to get it because someone like you who just made a BLANK account had no use for it.aa

20. Mustang
    August 12th, 2011 at 10:02 pm

You cant even change your name on Origin without creating a whole different account. I better have to option to create a separate name for my soldier. I dont want my Origin name to be my gamer tag. Also, I dont mind having one character per account, but if I cant even change my name on my Origin account, that is just wrong. If EA thinks this is ok, they have another thing comming.

• TrippyTiger
      September 5th, 2011 at 11:04 pm

If you contact EA Origin support over their live chat, they can change your profile name as long as it isn’t already taken. You will need to provide your email address and state the date of the birth that you first registered with for security purposes. I have done this multiple time’s. If your willing to shout at support in caps lock for hour’s on end you might even get a few goodie’s!

21. R4Z8R
    August 12th, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I just don’t get it. They just keep adding more and more bullshit to the game – battlelog and now this. In BC2 I had to soldiers – 1 to fuck around and do crazy stuff and one which was the real deal so to say. I don’t see why they have to make this. I think that isn’t a DICE decision, but some of the recent EA – Battlelog – crap. And why the hell do you have to have the origin name as your soldiername??
    EA fix your stuff and leave DICE to get the job done their way!

22. B3AST
    August 12th, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Im guessing that maybe making to many players would take up server space.

• Teddy
      August 12th, 2011 at 11:59 pm

The amount of ‘server space’ required to hold a database entry of a player’s progress is miniscule. A handful of bytes on a multi-terrabyte raid array. That’s not at all an issue here.

23. Thanatos
    August 12th, 2011 at 10:51 pm

If that twitter quote is all there is to go on, i wouldn’t worry too pre-maturely. BC2 personas are ‘linked’ to the origin account, that doesn’t mean you can only have one. Just means when you log into EA.com and click my account, you’ve got 1 box there for each soldier you play. I suspect this may be the same again. I’d choose (to behave like a rational human being) and hold off on the boycots and talk of how awful publishers are, until this has actually been confirmed.

24. CWest
    August 12th, 2011 at 10:59 pm

so when they say persona do they mean the EA forum Persona or the Origin account name which cant be changed?

If we can use our EA forum personas for our bf3 character name then im fine with that but if it’s stuck with my Origin account name then this it’s stupid.

25. Will this happen to console?
    August 12th, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Will this happen to console where only one soldier for psn accout or xbox live account

• VTEC
      August 12th, 2011 at 11:55 pm

ur being a retard, it doesnt mean you can only be 1 soldier in the game, it means u can have only one name (1 account) just like if u have 1 gamertag for xbox. you can still be all the different CLASSES in the game.