Over the past few weeks, a ton of new details have emerged on the squad system in Battlefield 3. On first glance, it appears to share a lot of similarities with Bad Company 2 squads, but there are a number of key changes, including the way members spawn in a squad. Here is the full list of the confirmed and unconfirmed details regarding Battlefield 3 squads.
Confirmed BF3 squad details
- Squads are limited to 4 members
- Squad leader can spawn on any member, while members can only spawn on squad leader
- The creator of the squad is the squad leader, and will be indicated by a star.
- On 64 player maps, a 32 player team will have 8 squads (8 x 4 = 32)
- Players will receive squad bonus points for helping the squad, much like in Bad Company 2.
- Players will receive bonus points for killing the opponent squad leader
Unconfirmed / rumored BF3 squad details
- The best/most active member will get promoted to squad leader.
- Squads won’t be lockable (unlike in Bad Company 2)
- Squad tools (squad leaders get to lock the squad, invite members, kick members, etc.)
Overall, the squad mechanics in BF3 appear to be refined and developed from the ones found in Bad Company 2, which overall worked pretty well. The new spawning structure will limit the amount of spawns and will give the squad leader a greater role to play.
DICE still hasn’t announced all the details regarding squads and multiplayer, but we’d love to see some form of squad management, especially since teams in BF3 will support 32 players and up to 8 squads.