On July 9th, 2011 in News

There has been a lot of doubt whether EA would release Battlefield 3 on Steam. Today EA revealed a list of digital retailers around the world where gamers will be able to purchase Battlefield 3, and the big omission was Steam. This adds to the uncertainty of whether we’ll ever see Battlefield 3 on Steam, which is by far the biggest and most popular digital games distributor in the world.

It all started a few weeks ago when EA removed Crysis 2 from Steam and instead added it to its own service, EA Origin. From a business perspective, it makes sense for EA to offer Battlefield 3 on its own distribution, since Steam usually takes around 25% of the cut. However, many of Steam’s competing services, like Direct2Drive and Gamersgate, are listed, so this could be something just between EA and Steam.

According to GamaSutra, who interviewed EA Origin’s David DeMatrini, there is some conflict between EA and Steam, although DeMartini didn’t clarify on that. He said it was “interesting that some of the ways they’ve [Steam] built their business are specifically some of the areas of conflict between us on a going forward basis”.

Steam is bigger than Direct2Drive, GamersGate, GameStop’s Impulse combined — without a doubt a huge chunk of Battlefield 3 digital sales would come from Steam. If EA is saying no to the kind of sales Steam can provide, it’s pretty obvious that the conflict and disagreements between EA and Valve run deep.

While it’s not certain that we’ll never see Battlefield 3 on Steam, it doesn’t look good the way things are now. Hopefully this will get sorted out soon, as in the end, both EA, Steam, and gamers stand to lose something.

1. first man
    July 9th, 2011 at 8:49 pm

firstttttttt

• Dubstep Transformer
      July 10th, 2011 at 2:04 am

first man is first…

• plumokin
        July 10th, 2011 at 4:34 am

check ur comment on the last post on this website, its a very… lets say, disturbing paragraph, just letting u kno

• maxbox99
        July 10th, 2011 at 4:43 am

I think its the funniest comment Ive seen on this site XD really laughed out loud…

• Dubstep Transformer
        July 10th, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Yeah, and I think i know who’s doing it too… It’s ok, you know who I am so thats just fine, let him make fun of me for being gay *which I’m not as you already know* He’s just insecure about his own feelings so thats why he goes on teh internetz and trys to bait someone else because he can’t accept the fact that he’s a hunchback zitty-dick cum guzzling fart box that no body will ever want to have sex with. Thank you Internet, for inviting awesome people like that into your world. :) I think i’m done here.

• Excision
        July 10th, 2011 at 8:49 pm

By the way, I changed my name to Excision, because you all should know who that is. :D

2. CoolyFrost
    July 9th, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Man Origin sucks, i tried to change my account name to CoolyFrost(Which is a name that nobody uses i assure you) and it doesn’t let me so i can’t complete my profile. It sucks!!!!

3. Freeman
    July 9th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Origin is just rebranding of EA Store, which was a rebranding of EA Download. When Origin fails, EA will simply rebrand it into something else…

4. PaulC2K
    July 9th, 2011 at 9:38 pm

EA have already responded to the Crysis2 issue/incident, havent they? They’ve said that they were forced to remove it because Steam have recently updated their T&C regarding other digital distribution networks offering the content. Because its on Direct2Drive, it couldnt be on Steam. There may be consideration for ‘in-house’ DD (ie Origin).

The fact that Steam havent come out and given their version of the story would suggest thats accurate, THEY demanded it was removed from the store, and seemingly if EA wish to distribute BF3 via D2D or similar, then Steam arent going to sell it. Anyone unhappy with Steam not distributing it should blame steam, and steam alone it seems. They want exclusive DD, or at least to dictate who can and cant have it, which IMO is unacceptable (and i have no interest in using a DD other than Steam, online retail is my route… but price ultimately dictates my decision)

• PaulC2K
      July 9th, 2011 at 9:41 pm

‘Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service – many of which are not imposed by other online game services,’ said EA. ‘Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.’

‘It’s unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis 2 from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA.’

Source: gamesindustry.biz (login required), reported via Bit-Tech http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/06/16/ea-valve-removed-crysis-2-from-steam/1

• BF3Blog
      July 9th, 2011 at 10:00 pm

There are a lot of games available both on Steam and other services. For instance, Bad Company 2 and its DLC are available on both Steam and Direct2Drive.

• dandirk
      July 15th, 2011 at 2:40 pm

PaulC2K,

Your information is wrong, as a matter of fact the issue is the opposite of what you stated… EA has commented on Crysis 2, they said Steam’s TOC says that any DLC offered on other services MUST be provided on steam as well. Steam doesn’t care if other services have the same games/DLC, they just care about “exclusive” DLCs.

One could disagree with Steam’s new TOC, it does seem to stifle competition a little bit, essentially removing the option of exclusive DLCs from their competitors.

5. bryan
    July 9th, 2011 at 9:39 pm

its stupid on both of their parts not to agree. Ea would sell tons of more copies on steam and valve would make tons of money from selling it on steam. if Dice/Ea wants this to beat cod it will have to be on steam

6. Jonatan
    July 9th, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I buy all my games by STEAM, THIS SUCKS!!! NNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BF3 ON STEAM!!! BF3 ON STEAM!!! BF3 ON STEAM!!!

7. Richard Y
    July 9th, 2011 at 10:09 pm

i too buy all my games on steam, mainly becuase of the deals and that i can flawlessly start and join games on steam, it shows my friends what games they are playing and i can even click there names and join there game. Adding a non steam game i dont know if it offers the same kind of easy game joining that i have with say black ops. I never played anything on black ops other than zombie but when i did it was pretty seemless, ignoring the whole unstable games thing black ops had on release.

8. tron
    July 9th, 2011 at 11:36 pm

This is…………………………MADNESS!

9. Jason
    July 9th, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Lol I’ll just buy it from the store and add it to Steam shortcut than, no big deal.

10. strangler317
    July 10th, 2011 at 12:01 am

I don’t see how this affects sales too badly. I planned on getting it via steam but instead I just went to Gamestop and preordered it. If people want it they’ll find a way to get it. As for the whole Origin vs Steam debate, I think it’s good that the two companies can compete. For example EA had Mass Effect 2 for 12 bucks and Steam had it for 20. I almost got it from EA, but then Steam dropped it to 6.80. Thanks to competition I saved about 65%

11. Steve
    July 10th, 2011 at 12:23 am

Ah damnit. Now I’m not sure I will be purchasing BF3.
    This is sad news. Shame.

• BF3_King_OF_FPS
      July 10th, 2011 at 1:43 am

Well, looks like you’ll be missing out on a great game. Sad news for you not everyone else. Everyone else will be super happy.

• Dubstep Transformer

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
          ^^
          ^^
          HAahAh xD

12. SaM
    July 10th, 2011 at 3:02 am

I’ll buy BF3 outside of Steam as a last resort, absolutely last resort. And I sure as hell won’t buy it at Origin.

13. Orthodontist
    July 10th, 2011 at 3:10 am

Tis a terrible thing when titans toss about and think not of the little gamer underfoot.

Those who prefer steam over any other service really lose out here…EA’s track record with “Friend List Functionality” and the serious lack of any functioning social panel makes myself and others flock to steam.

Sad Panda am I today.

14. plumokin
    July 10th, 2011 at 4:37 am

gamestop it is….

15. DOOMZDAYZ
    July 10th, 2011 at 7:12 am

Uhhh, Don’t you people use disk’s anymore? Anyway, If they don’t put it on steam, their Loss. PC sales would be cut by at least half or less

16. ReaperX
    July 10th, 2011 at 7:23 am

Please email me at reaper2794@gmail.com if you need help with PC building stuff :) !

17. fernando
    July 10th, 2011 at 10:24 am

COMMON MAN U TALKING BULLSHITS HERE? COMMON, PLEASE BE A BIT MORE RESPONSIBLE WHEN TALKING ABOUT SUCH THREADS.

EA DID NOT REMOVE CRYSIS 2 FROM STEAM. THIS IS SERIOUS. THIS IS TRUE.

STEAM IS THE ONE TO BLAME. STEAM IS THE ONE THAT REMOVED CRYSIS 2 FROM ITS LIBRARY BECAUSE CRYTEK DID NOT WANTED TO SIGN A NEW CONTRACT. STEAM FORCED A GROUP OF DEVELOPERS TO SIGN A NEW CONTRACT FROM NOTHING. CRYTEK HAD NO CHOICE, SIGN THE CONTRACT OR OUT. THEN EVERYTHING STARTED. CRYTEK CHOOSE TO NOT SIGN THE CONTRACT, FORCING STEAM TO REMOVE CRYSIS 2 FROM THE LIBRARY.

THE QUESTIONS YOU GUYS SHOULD BE ASKING YOURSELVES ARE, WHY CRYTEK DID NOT WANT TO SIGN THIS NEW CONTRACT? WHAT IS ABOUT THIS CONTRACT THAT IS SO IMPORTANT? WOULD THE TERMS OF SUCH CONTRACT BE TO MUCH AGGRESSIVE?

18. PrivatePimmel
    July 10th, 2011 at 10:57 am

I hate Steam. @ReaperX no thanks, i can build my own machine. Why don´t you make up you´re own online store and advertise somewhere else? I think this isnt the right place.

• Snajperprotivinka
      July 13th, 2011 at 3:47 am

He means if you need help building one; he’s not trying to sell you parts. Lol.

19. NoFreakinIdea
    July 10th, 2011 at 11:51 am

im pre-ordering it from a local store anyway… im collecting the boxes y’know.

20. Moldune
    July 10th, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Personally, I don’t mind, I’ve never liked steam, because when a game is run through steam its always you haveto download so and so patch before you can play, now you haveto update this and then this, steam sucks IMO… But thats just me, and steam is also one of the reasons why I made the switch to console gaming, just so i dont haveto put up with it.

21. Sphinx
    July 10th, 2011 at 3:15 pm

EA confirms steam not on list for digital download of BF3:

22. BF3 Rulz
    July 10th, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Just preorder at your favorite retailer and if steam does not get it buy it there. No harm no foul. Just sad that it looks as if steam will not be getting it. =(

23. Cod
    July 10th, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Battlefield 3 is getting worse by the day, I may cancel my pre order and buy MW3.

• Dubstep Transformer
      July 10th, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Have fun going to modernwarfare3.com… oh, wait. it got hacked? aww too bad.

24. Chris
    July 11th, 2011 at 6:50 am

It’s confirmed that it won’t be on Steam. It’s going to be released on EA Origin.

25. Richie
    July 11th, 2011 at 8:23 am

They best release it on steam or else their digital sales are going to hurt come release day.