On July 28th, 2011 in News

Battlefield 3 pre order
A few months ago, EA released their quarterly earnings where they reported that the highly anticipated Battlefield 3 was pre-ordered 7 times more than Bad Company 2, the previous best seller. This time, during the most recent financial reports, EA disclosed that Battlefield 3 pre-orders had jumped to 10 times that of Bad Company 2. To make matters even more interesting, they revealed that Bad Company 2 has surpassed sales of 9 million units to date.

EA is currently offering a lot of incentives to pre-order Battlefield 3, from the Back To Karkand DLC, to the Physical Warfare pack, to new multiplayer skins to even a bunch of dog tags — there are plenty of pre-order offers to gamers, whether you buy the game in store, or online. However, sadly, Battlefield 3 is still not available on Steam, and judging from how things are looking today, it’s uncertain if we’ll ever see it on Steam.

Last week we reported that Battlefield 3 pre-orders matched those of Call of Duty: Black Ops, which was one of the most pre-ordered games ever. It’s unknown how BF3 stacks up against its main rival, Modern Warfare 3, when it comes to pre-orders.

1. HollywoodBush
    July 28th, 2011 at 6:13 pm

First! Lets go BF3, that is good news!!

2. phobia
    July 28th, 2011 at 6:28 pm

EA is going to make a big blooper by bypassing Steam… Still waiting for a definite decision, before I pre-order…

• Pierogi210
      July 28th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I totally agree with you. Steam has over 33 million registered users. They are just being stubborn. I downloaded orgin, and it sucks big time. There is nothing there. I don’t see how orgin can compete with steam. Steam has such a game library and AWESOME SALES that orgin would never do or come close to.

• Cowwie
        July 29th, 2011 at 12:05 am

Yep unless they sell stuff at special prices like steam does it will fail, it will just be another awkward way to buy bf3/etc.

They should have done this experiment with another game, its going to cost them lost sales, they could have sold bfbc2 at a steam sale right before release for $5 to give new undecided players a taste of what bf3 might have to them if they buy bf3 as well.

• rob
          July 29th, 2011 at 9:03 am

apologies for my ignorance fellas but just what excatly is stream?? a games libary for pcs?? and what do u do, buy games and download them to your hard-drive?

• Wolliwonker
          July 29th, 2011 at 7:23 pm

@rob

In fact it’s spelled Steam. It’s some sort of Online-Store like Amazon, but you buy the games digital so you don’t get a physical copy of the games just a digital one. So you download the game from Steam and start it with Steam.
          In my opinion Steam is a great store, because of the awesome sales. Yust a few days ago they offered Batman: Arkham Asylum(Metascore of 91) for 75% less then the normal price.

But Steam seems to be a pretty emotional thing, because there are many people who hate Steam, because you don’t really buy the game you only buy the right to play it and when your Account gets banned all games are lost(you don’t get your money back).

Take a look at http://www.steampowered.com

• [AOD]Death_F473
          August 5th, 2011 at 5:59 am

I think Origin will succeed due to the fact that that is so much demand for digital download EA games and when origin is the best way to get them people will use it. Everyone HATED Steam in the beginning, I remember. Then we got used to it. Origin… ugh, could do with a better name though.

3. Nibbit
    July 28th, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Wow nice! Let’s hope te game will rock and be an example for future BF titles :D

• ImStalkinYou
      July 28th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

aaaaaahhhh…. future battlefield titles….

• Dude
        July 28th, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Heh.

I can’t WAIT for Battlefield 5.

• Excision
          July 29th, 2011 at 7:23 pm

you mean 4? 4 has to come out first.

• ImStalkinYou
          July 30th, 2011 at 9:45 am

i can, because im gonna play battlefield 3 and 4 before 5 comes out :)

4. Marcarrelus
    July 28th, 2011 at 6:37 pm

In order to celebrate: free DLC after release :)

5. legoingrdaproplayer
    July 28th, 2011 at 6:46 pm

So it has 10 milions of preorders?!

• Mike
      July 29th, 2011 at 1:15 am

No, so far it passed the number of pre-ordered copies of BFBC2 which EA chose not to say how many. So, if BFBC2 had 1 Million pre-ordered copies, then BF3 now have more than 1 Million pre-ordered copies.

Of course this doesn’t reflect the actual sales as the analysts say, but still this means that BF3 sales on the first day/quarter will be at least 10X higher than BFBC2 :)

6. Eterray
    July 28th, 2011 at 6:51 pm

He deserves this success and the little I played the alpha version, it will be as good!

7. sjaak
    July 28th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Now in actual numbers please…

8. Looming Debt Crisis
    July 28th, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Not surprising for 1000% jump from BC2, EA/Dice are hyping game more than a Michael Bay movie. Still more room for growth come September with the beta.

• Excision
      July 28th, 2011 at 9:07 pm

You fixed your name I see… xD

• Xarcriloth
        July 29th, 2011 at 6:37 am

^ this

9. plumokin
    July 28th, 2011 at 8:16 pm

sexyness

10. Elitemane
    July 28th, 2011 at 8:50 pm

NOOOOOOOOO!!, that may be a good thing for profit but what does that tell us about who will be playing bf3, cod noobs, i’m gonna enjoy slaying them and hate losing with them

• joongoon
      July 28th, 2011 at 8:53 pm

true dat

• Steve
        July 28th, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Agreed. It’s also a sad reminder of how overlooked BC2 AND 1 were at launch.

• plumokin
      July 28th, 2011 at 11:16 pm

lol
      1) u can make fun of them for trying to go solo and failing
      2) u can laugh at them rage quitting when the gameplay isnt rambo style
      3) u can make new friends with ppl that are new to the bf games that wanna play for real
      4) u can eventually find the people that know how to play online more, and less cod noobs

-anyone who likes everything about cod will not like this game when they try it or they will love it and play by the bf playstyle, nothing to worry about

• [AOD]Death_F473
        August 5th, 2011 at 6:01 am

Yes, people can learn. Just find a group and stick to it, there are many clans recruiting right now, in fact, all of them seem to be.

• Cowwie
      July 29th, 2011 at 12:25 am

Hopefully they will stick to tDM and never be seen again intill they learn team play, something i doubt will ever happen while playing tDM.

• ROFL BF3
      July 29th, 2011 at 8:31 am

what are you talking about COD players need to get of COD and start working on BF3. you can’t expect them to be real BF players immidetly. everyone has to start from the beginning and some are better in the start and some will need more practice.

11. LUKAAAAA MIJICCCCCCCC
    July 28th, 2011 at 8:54 pm

we need steam!!!!!!!!! :S

• Battlefield 3 owns COD...yep thats my name.
      July 28th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

why do guys want to preorder from steam so much and not from EA?

• kelleroid
        July 29th, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Steam is much, MUCH more established, it has been here since 2004, and has 3300000 users, of which at least 2500000 are online, with peaks of 3500000.

EA Origin with BF3 is just too new and sudden, but hey, the same was with HL2, CSS and Steam itself.

Steam was also shitty when it first started. History repeats itself.

• plumokin
      July 28th, 2011 at 11:18 pm

lol steam isnt a big deal for me, if u wanna get it online, u can buy it off of origin. u wanna get it in a store, u have gamestop, etc.

12. Battlefield 3 owns COD...yep thats my name.
    July 28th, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I am truly surprised, i knew BF3 was always gonna be better than COD but i never even considered it outselling it because of the major fan base COD has. I think i might have to eat words this October.

• Blarg
      July 29th, 2011 at 3:54 pm

There are no actual numbers, and they have yet to compare the numbers to MW3 which I know has a lot as well…but yeah BF3 is getting up there :D

13. bf3 will be sick eh!
    July 28th, 2011 at 9:34 pm

oh shut up u elitists dont matter who’s plating whether its a cod vet or bf vet its just a game. they’ll learn chillax

• Excision
      July 28th, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Why are you here?

• Colt_Gun
      July 29th, 2011 at 3:36 am

go back under your bridge troll

• Excision
        July 29th, 2011 at 4:04 am

^ This! xD

• elitist fail
        July 29th, 2011 at 4:48 pm

well whos the troll some bf addicts butt-hurt that bsome new players from a different game are coming go back to masturbating to ur teddy bear u no- life nerd

• Excision
          July 29th, 2011 at 7:24 pm

are you talking to me or colt? I’m confuzzled.

14. BanZi- AAAAAAHHHHGGG
    July 28th, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I really, really don’t see the point of people not pre-ordering BF3 or even buying BF3 retail or online because it may not be on steam. What the f**k is wrong with this decission? Does it really bother you so much and does it have such an impact on the gameplay or the game itself that it’s not on Steam? Because its 10 bucks more on Orgin? Because now you might have to patch up by yourself? Or is it because its easier to use when you have it on Steam? I really dont see the point of this, or this whole Steam thingy. It has Battleblog and a friendslist FOR FREE so I really don’t need Steam to play the damn game.

• Excision
      July 28th, 2011 at 10:03 pm

^ Thanks you…

• Excision
        July 28th, 2011 at 10:11 pm

whoops, added an “S”.

• bloodysquad2
      July 28th, 2011 at 10:24 pm

^ this.

• Dude
      July 28th, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Agreed.

Are they Steam employees, maybe?

15. Hamburg192
    July 28th, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I hope so much that i don’t need steam for this great game!

Steam Download is slow, there always problems and the support is so bad, you can’t even call it support.

The only cool thing about steam is the in-game web-browser, everything else sucks!

• sgtmoody1944
      July 28th, 2011 at 11:17 pm

+1 to this

• plumokin
        July 28th, 2011 at 11:20 pm

agreed, and the battlelog will probably provide you with most of the info u need (im hoping they have a video section)

• Cowwie
      July 29th, 2011 at 12:40 am

- 1

ive never had any major problems with steam, and its fire sales are simply amazing to the point i feel its worth waiting to buy a game intill its on sale, also its good to have everything in one place including special sales.

on the other hand alot of people are saying ea’s service is a peice of shite compared to steam.

in before the flame, i preordered from a mortar and brick store, i prefer hard copies of games i really like.

I doubt bfbc2 would have sold as many copies if it had not been on steam.

• kelleroid
        July 29th, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Well, Steam was crap at the start, too.

• kelleroid
      July 29th, 2011 at 12:05 pm

If Steam downloads are slow for you, change the download server in the preferences, dammit!

16. bloodysquad2
    July 28th, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I got banned from GameInformer.com because i wrote BF3>MW3 at the end of all my sentences on all the articles. It felt good.

• plumokin
      July 28th, 2011 at 11:21 pm

lol funny as hell XDXD

• Colt_Gun
      July 29th, 2011 at 3:38 am

well they say that stating the obvious is a form of trolling…

• Who?
      July 29th, 2011 at 9:49 am

LOL. Classic

17. Blueberry
    July 28th, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I’ve been following this blog for a while now, and to those of you who don’t want to download/purchase through Origin, I suggest Direct2Drive, it’s 35£ for crying out loud! And if you so desire you can put it into Steam as a non-steam game, enjoy!

18. Sheppy
    July 28th, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I don’t know why you guys hate steam so much. personally I love the sales they can put out. and EA isn’t putting BF3 on steam because steam is being stubborn not EA believe it or not. and as for support most company’s have awful support due to outsourcing sadly. If they don’t ship bf3 with steam then I just add BF3.exe to the steams programs list, problem solved :)

• plumokin
      July 28th, 2011 at 11:27 pm

^ this

• Cowwie
      July 29th, 2011 at 12:41 am

^ this

+then again its always good to see some competition vs steam dominating the whole scene.

• tblk
        July 29th, 2011 at 2:55 am

Unless EA plans to allow non-origin games in their store, Steam will continue to dominate the DD scene.

Right now, nobody has stepped up and explained exactly what the dispute is with the TOS, so knowing EA’s history, I’d take their explanation with a mountain of salt.

Has anyone else noticed that EA is the only publisher affected by this change?

19. JASHINHUNTER
    July 29th, 2011 at 2:22 am

I bought Battlefield 2 twice, and I bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 Twice, just to have it on Steam, becasue steam is pretty awesome :D

But I only bought Battlefield 2142 once xD

I will buy Battlefield 3 on DVD when it comes out, and if it gets released later on steam I will buy it again, just to have it on Steam… Becasue Steam Is Awesome.

And..

Is the .50 Cal Sniper Confirmed for Battlefield 3?

• joongoon
      July 29th, 2011 at 4:20 am

in fault line he says “its a 50″ so maybe

• sgtmoody1944
      July 29th, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Honestly, I hope they severely revise the .50-cal sniper from previous Battlefield games. I always found it frustrating that the .50-cal’s were roughly just as powerful as a regular, bolt-action sniper rifle. I would gladly trade off the accuracy of the weapon without having deployed a bipod (assuming they implement the bipod scheme for the .50-cal snipers) in favor of increased damage. In my opinion, that would take it one step closer to realism.

20. Dr. Pepper
    July 29th, 2011 at 2:39 am

Anyone want to play some BC2 on Xbox this Saturday? I don’t get to play too often, as the Internet connection sucks at my house, but I’m house-sitting for someone who happens to have a decent connection this Saturday. My GT is cncussion, spelled just like that. I want to play with some team players, people who use mics. Please, someone add me! I’m down for regular or hardcore. ;)

• joongoon
      July 29th, 2011 at 3:44 am

i will, i might get my buddy jace to play

• bloodysquad2
      July 29th, 2011 at 6:01 am

I do, add me—-> bloodysquad2
      Gimmie some of your stats.

• Dr. Pepper
        July 29th, 2011 at 8:20 am

I don’t have good stats, I rarely get to play(but I’m not terrible). And a lot of my stats aren’t even me, since I sometimes take turns with friends playing BC2. Send me a friend request and I’ll accept it when I get a chance to get online, which is next Saturday. GT: cncussion. :)

21. Lord of Battlefield
    July 29th, 2011 at 5:01 am

I would pre order it if they showed some god damn multiplayer footage. If I see that paris map again ill shoot myself.

• Looming Debt Crisis
      July 29th, 2011 at 5:59 am

@ Lord of Battlefiled
      I concur. I want to see that mountain map on MP that looks like Afghanistan, possibly A-10′s? :D I’m anticipating MP jet gameplay. Best chance for seeing new content will either be at Gamescon of next month 17-21st or beta.

• MiKE_nz
      July 29th, 2011 at 6:27 am

Just wait for the beta. Then you should see plenty.

22. rob
    July 29th, 2011 at 9:07 am

i quote you bf3blog “If you wish to write for BF3blog.com, don’t hesitate contacting us — we’re always looking for talented writers and Battlefield fans to help us out. ”

I’VE STILL HEARD NOTHING BACK lol

23. Marek Szymanski
    July 29th, 2011 at 10:01 am

Good news i love it , from my side what i can say its : i have ask all my family to pre-order BF3 and even my mum pre-ordered one for yourself sow hell yes BF3 FTW!!!

24. Sheppy
    July 29th, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I’m just really excited for seeing the conquest maps. as much as I love the intensity that rush delivers it has never really felt like BF to me. I also hope that the conquest maps will give us some way of preventing base rape. I’d take Rush any day over sitting on the carrier getting raped by those Chinese fighters x.x. Another thing I miss is BF2142, While most people LOVED bf2 I didn’t care for it as much as I wanted to because the weapons were WAY to inaccurate. if anyone wants to play BF2 or bf2142 or BC2 on the PC email me at Foxtwo@live.com

• tblk
      July 30th, 2011 at 1:32 am

The weapons in BF2 themselves weren’t inaccurate. It’s just that DICE did a piss-poor job of aligning the iron sights and even the crosshairs.

Here’s a link detailing it:

25. Slider
    July 29th, 2011 at 6:09 pm

You guys really should stop whining about Steam, EA has the right to sell their games with or without whoever they damn well want. God damn PC players feel so entitled, that they expect to see the publisher bend to their desires. What EA is doing may or may not be wise, but if the situation presents such a significant problem for you… just don’t buy the game.

Keep in mind, any sales losses BF3 will lose from this catastrophic disaster will be more than made up by not having to split profits with a third party.

Valve is one of my favorite dev’s, but people need to realise that they do not own PC gaming.