On July 23rd, 2011 in News

BF3 box
According to analysts from Cowen & Company, Battlefield 3 pre-orders are “roughly comparable” to those of Call of Duty: Black Ops, which was previously one of the most ore-ordered games in history. However, it is unknown how well Battlefield 3 stacks up against its main competitor, Modern Warfare 3. According to several industry sources, Modern Warfare 3 pre-orders have already eclipsed those of Back Ops, with three months left until release.

Cowen & Company also reports (via GamesIndsutry.biz) that they expect Battlefield 3 to sell 8 to 11 million units during its first year. Previous estimates from the same analyst have put Battlefield 3 sales at 10 million during its lifetime, with Modern Warfare 3 sales topping 20 million.

Which leads us to an interesting question to our readers: How many of you have pre-ordered Battlefield 3? And how many are waiting to see if it appears on Steam?

1. Free2shred
    July 23rd, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Pre-ordered it for PS3. Waiting to see if makes it to Steam before I cancel it and pre-order it for Origin.

• Elitemane
      July 24th, 2011 at 2:20 am

Hi Battlefield Player,
      As one of our valued and trusted Battlefield players, we are happy to invite you to participate in the Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial. All the instructions you need to join are printed below.
      We are inviting you specifically because we think you have a great interest in the Battlefield series, and because we think you understand the technical issues that might arise this early in a game’s development cycle.
      The purpose of the Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial is to do a number of server-related tests in preparation for game launch, including load testing our back-end. We are also looking to you to provide us with any feedback on the entire Alpha Trial experience.
      Please note that this is not the Open Beta due in September, it’s not the Beta promised to buyers of Medal of Honor: Limited Edition and this is not a public demo. This is a highly tech-focused Alpha Trial that does not represent final quality of the game. Performance at this early stage of development will potentially be choppy and far from optimal, and we will bring the servers down at our leisure if needed. There will be periods of downtime and periods when we run tests that will negatively affect the performance on the Alpha Trial servers (leading to lag and rubber banding, etc.).
      The available slots are limited, so make sure to redeem your unique Alpha Trial code before they run out (see instructions below).
      If you choose to join this Alpha Trial, please do not publicly post information, images, videos or your impressions of it. If you have any questions or concerns, please leave your feedback directly to us at DICE in the closed Alpha Trial forum we have set up specifically for this purpose.
      The Battlefield 3 team and I here at DICE are looking forward to your participation.
      Cheers,

2) Log in with your EA Account information
      3) Accept the legal agreement and confirm participation
      4) Receive download code
      5) Follow download instructions to get the build
      6) Leave feedback and respond to the survey in our closed forum

Enlist Now >

We value your feedback, so be sure to tell us what you think. You will automatically be granted access to the closed feedback forum once you have played the Alpha Trial. The forum is integrated in our Battlelog web destination, where you can also track your stats, monitor server uptime, and use a suite of social features.
      If you need help with anything while setting up the Alpha Trial, please visit help.ea.com. There you’ll find FAQs to help you get started and the “Contact Us” link so you can get in touch with our dedicated Battlefield 3 squad anytime.

RECOMMENDED PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
      OS: Windows 7 or Vista (SP1)
      Installed: Origin
      CPU: Quadcore @ 2.0 GHz or faster
      RAM: 4GB or more
      Hard Drive: 7.25GB free
      Video: 512 MB or greater DirectX 10 or 11 compatible card with latest drivers (AMD 11.5 or later, nVidia 275.33 or later)
      Sound: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible card
      Internet: broadband connection
      Note that these do not necessarily represent the requirements for the final game.

HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Excision
        July 24th, 2011 at 4:40 am

Quit braggin’…. *eyes well up with tears*

• Karol
          July 24th, 2011 at 11:46 am

I got the same email and i’ve played for whole night !!!
          Feel special ::D

• Harryz
        July 24th, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I’ve was a cod fan for many years,
        But a few months back I got battlefield 2 now I’ll never go back.

• NoFreakinIdea
        July 25th, 2011 at 11:11 am

link that BF3 ALPHA site first….
        BTW im going to preorder the limited edition from a hungarian site called 576KByte, and im wondering if I still get the expansions/DLCs, like Back To Karkand and the Physical Warfare Pack??? or do i have to order from international/American sites like Amazon?

2. IToldOnAnneFrank
    July 23rd, 2011 at 7:30 pm

i pre ordered BF3 near the end of June im not even gonna bother with MW3 if my friends want to play with me they can get BF3 cause im not buying MW3

3. spayne131
    July 23rd, 2011 at 7:54 pm

i preordered for xbox. the only reason i may even so much as rent mw3 is just to c how the campaign ends. and to compare it to to so how much more it sucks in comparison to bf3

4. oskar
    July 23rd, 2011 at 7:54 pm

im waiting when its available on steam. I will not order the game if its not on steam, sorry

• joongoon
      July 23rd, 2011 at 11:27 pm

oh dont be sorry, steam is the only way to role on the computer, not on steam i am getting it for xbox

• Trilogie
      July 24th, 2011 at 3:05 am

You are gonna deny yourself hours of good gameplay because you might have to update it yourself once in a while? Wow kid, you are dumb.

• joongoon
        July 24th, 2011 at 6:37 am

thx for helping relize this. the choice is clear, i am getting for xbox. why would i buy a game on the PC when all guys are getting it for xbox. so when you say hours of gameplay of fun lost i guess u dont understand why i play games. 1 reason, the fun i have with my friends. dont call me dumb, its not very nice.

• johnny
          July 26th, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Pre-ordered month back, gonna play it throught steam as “non-steam game”. You guys mad?
          Btw, in winland if you pre-ordered back to karkand, you’ll also get the SpectKit Upgrade in the same package :?
          Anyone else having same offer?

5. Luka
    July 23rd, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I pre-order BF3 somewhere in may already. It’s before that *PHYSICAL WARFARE PACK* even showed up…. I suppose. So I am wondering one thing. Will I still get that PHYSICAL WARFARE PACK?? :S

• cronicstain
      July 23rd, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Yeah, thats what I want to know too.

• Luka
        July 23rd, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I belive many of us want to know answer on that question :)

• Zach
      July 23rd, 2011 at 8:15 pm

My understanding is that the physical warfare pack is included for all preorders. I Pre-ordered BF3 for PC through EA’s site and didnt get any special code or anything so I assume all the pre-order codes will include that Pack. I dont really have a source for this conclusion but it seems fairly logical.

On a side note: I do know several people who will not get BF3 unless it is offered on Steam. I dont see that happening from everything ive been reading, so I am hoping to convince them to order it post-release once they see how fun it is.

• Luka
        July 23rd, 2011 at 10:14 pm

you are right! let’s be optimistic :)

• IToldOnAnneFrank
        July 24th, 2011 at 1:14 am

the physical warfare pack is going to be free for everyone in the later months of BF3s release its not going to be in the box like the back to karkand expansion pack

6. cronicstain
    July 23rd, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I pre-ordered at gamestop back in june.

7. .Genocide.
    July 23rd, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I pre-ordered in June and am slowly paying it off so I don’t need to worry about having money that night, haha. Freaking un-reliable job -_- As for Steam, fucking christ, get over it! Install it and put a short-cut in Steam if it really matters that much to you.

8. WollSmoth
    July 23rd, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Anyone else here play PS3 and if so can you tell me why my charger wont charge any of my controllers?

• DutchElite
      July 23rd, 2011 at 8:08 pm

you should pay the electic bill more often

• Excision
      July 23rd, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Well, if it’s like my Xbox controller, all you have to do is hit the battery pack once, and then try to turn the controller on. And then repeat if it doesn’t turn on. It will eventually! :D

• Excision
        July 23rd, 2011 at 8:21 pm

But don’t hit it too hard. I know how flimsy the PS3 controllers are.

• Other Brian
          July 24th, 2011 at 1:01 am

Just a light tap usually does the trick for me. Just enough to show it who’s boss, but not hard enough to leave a bruise and make people start asking questions…I mean, what? Never mind.

(…wow, even for me that joke was in poor taste)

• Excision
          July 24th, 2011 at 1:19 am

Always use a sack of Oranges… it won’t leave a bruise and, yes, it will show it who’s boss. :D YOU GIVIN’ ME LIP BOY? *whip crack*

• Silvio
      July 23rd, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Why you would ask that on here is beyond me. But I’ll answer.

I’ve gone through two charge kits for my 360. Both of the wires pooped out on me. The circuit within them was ruined. So you’ll need another one :/.

• WollSmoth
        July 23rd, 2011 at 9:54 pm

My PS3 is like almost 3 years old and i might end up getting an Xbox because it seems like a lot of people have them and you could play halo

• joongoon
          July 23rd, 2011 at 11:30 pm

it depends on what u like, single player guy its going to be PS3. online xbox all the way.

• bewbs
      July 23rd, 2011 at 10:13 pm

get a new usb cable their pretty cheap ]and u can find them anywhere. a cable that fits into the socket on the controller is just fine

9. Materialism
    July 23rd, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I am waiting to see if it will appear on steam, though I will pre-order to get the map pack if its not on steam by the start of October.

10. Excision
    July 23rd, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I pre-ordered back on the first day they announced when I could pre order it! :)

11. kp!
    July 23rd, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Waiting for steam preorder to be up of course!

12. Silvio
    July 23rd, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I’m waiting to pre-order in August. Honestly, screw MW3. I don’t want to cough up $63 for a 4th copy of a game I already own. It’s the same game every year. If anyone wants me to play with them, they’ll need to purchase BF3. No more bandwagon for me.

**PS-Typo in you first paragraph lol (ore-ordering :p)

13. ImStalkinYou
    July 23rd, 2011 at 8:41 pm

i pre-ordered in march, before i saw any of the trailers because i just knew this game would be awesome. untlil now, the trailers have not dissapointed me =D

14. Zip
    July 23rd, 2011 at 8:51 pm

im planning to pre-order in september :-)

15. Pingback: Battlefield 3 pre-order levels match Black Ops | GameSyndicate - The Gaming News Directory

16. Elitemane
    July 23rd, 2011 at 9:09 pm

pre-ordered at gamestop, and is getting midnight release if available, my spelling is bad

17. plumokin
    July 23rd, 2011 at 9:11 pm

still saving money, ill preorder eventually…

18. BF3FTW
    July 23rd, 2011 at 9:25 pm

If it has not come to STEAM by January 2012 I’ll buy it then. No STEAM = No preorder.

• Excision
      July 23rd, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Sucks to be you then.

• Gundam288
      July 24th, 2011 at 3:38 am

I have both and what i can tell u is that origin loads quicker than steam. and yse origin has it’s problems, but so does steam, im sick of This game is currently blah blah blah messages. I like steam better than origin in everything but the load times. Im not “Butthurt” about being forced to use a certin downloader. I pre-orderd before this origin thing came about from the EA store. I was and am still tempted to cancel my pre-order for just the fact it looks like BC3 and not battlefield 3, no commo rose and if there are less than 6 man squads = a BC title, and not a true battlefield. not sure if u noticed but they even re-used some of the same voice actors for “BF3″ from BC2.

ether way, if this comes out to be 4 man squads and no commo rose im not buying another DICE game and maybe a EA game every again.

Reason: they have shifted there values to the Console and gone away from the PC.

I’ll call EA on relase day and complain that they gave me the wrong game and or “Battlefield 3″ is a typo and should be Battlefield: BC3, and demand where my game that I paid for is…

my vet rank is 6 and i enjoyed BC2 after hating it. saw the 4 man squads and no commo rose and said not buying for $60. I bought it for a few bucks on steam durning a sale.

it has gotten to the point that if “DICE” and “PC” were said in the same sentence it would be a joke. After 2142 they lost their PC roots. at least in my mind.

I have no doubt that it will be a “good” game but, it isn’t going to be up to the standard to be called Battlefield 3.

Main compaints: Needs 6 man or greater squads, needs commo rose combined with a quick radio option that was in BC2 to make a hybrid, (if not already in it) needs a “Spec-Ops” class with a full auto Rifle and C4.

Wall-O-Text complant(s) = DICE is doing it wrong….

• Colt_Gun
        July 24th, 2011 at 5:15 am

have fun not having fun then….. its still going to be wayy better than any other shooter you can buy.
        “laugh at mw3 coz its a copy of mw2. cry coz bf3 isnt bf2.”

• Excision
        July 24th, 2011 at 6:54 am

They have stated many times that PC is their main platform. Why the hell are you complaining? You should be happy? You PC gamers finnaly got what you wanted… Recognition. You also should be glad because BF3′s main platform is the PC. Consoles get the lowered version, you PC kids win. Quit complaing, and enjoy the fucking game for christs sake. It’s obviously a TRUE battlefield game or else they wouldn’t have spent so much time making it. Quit looking at all the Bad stuff about BF3 because there’s always going to be bad things abotu every game that comes out. Not every game is perfect and yet CoD: Black Cocks managed to get the best selling game of all time. If there was a perfect game, nobody else would play any other game. So quit complaining, and just enjoy the battlefield experience that is Battlefield 3.

19. ThatGuy
    July 23rd, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Pre-ordered SE back in June at Gamestop. Need to go pay it off now that I have the money. All my friends are getting MW3, I’ll borrow it from one of them, though I really don’t care for it.

20. bacix
    July 23rd, 2011 at 10:20 pm

i didn’t pre-order it yet, but i will next month, or sometime soon.

21. ExcisionsLeftTesticle
    July 23rd, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I was on UsamaFTWs channel 0n youtube and he uploaded a video and then near the end he went to customization for his AKS-74u and you could have 3 attachments!!!! Its the most recent video and skip to 5:53

22. BanZi- AAAAAAHHHHGGG
    July 23rd, 2011 at 10:46 pm

In August I will pre-order it.

23. CoolyFrost
    July 23rd, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Still didn’t preorder, cause i want to see if I can be in the open beta first to feel the game. If the open beta will only be available to preorderers then ill preorder it :P

• Turbo7
      July 24th, 2011 at 3:30 am

lol then why not just preorder now ?

• CoolyFrost
        July 24th, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Because I’m poor as fuck right now :(

24. qwertyz
    July 23rd, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Waiting for Steam release. I won’t pre-order if it isn’t confirmed not on Steam. If it is, I’ll pre-order it retail. I refuse to have another digital distribution platform on my computer. I tried others, and having more than one is just a hassle.

25. spectre
    July 23rd, 2011 at 11:20 pm

From what I’ve read, EA doesn’t want the game on Steam because Steam always have good sales. EA is using its own type of Steam called Origin. That’s the only place you can digitally download the game from.