On July 10th, 2011 in News

BF3 animation
In the recent interview with Edge Magazine, Battlefield 3 multiplayer designer Lars Gustavsson revealed that the player animations are not the same in multiplayer as they are in singleplayer. Here’s what Gustavsson had to say regarding player/character animations in Battlefield 3:

“In multiplayer, we do an additional pass for animation. In singleplayer, you don’t mind if a guard up on a balcony does a Hollywood death – stumbling around a bit before falling over. In multiplayer it needs to be a one-to-one correlation between action and result”.

Which means that animations will be more realistic in multiplayer, as we’ve come to know with Battlefield games. Gustavsson said that DICE was “more than willing to make differences to deliver the best experience” in multiplayer and singleplayer.

Battlefield 3 uses EA’s ANT animation technology, which renders ultra realistic player animations. The ANT engine has been previously used in several EA Sports titles, and the recent Crysis 2 as well. The ANT engine was also used in 2010′s Medal Of Honor, which DICE has some experience with, as they did the multiplayer part of that game.

1. Doctalen
    July 10th, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Interesting. I wonder if they will make a comparison video.

2. Zip
    July 10th, 2011 at 10:31 pm

lol I appantly suck at english, I´ve read this on another site, but I was under the impression that they down toned the animations for MP, in order to have a more smooth and dynamic gameplay.

DICE you raised my exciment bar a bit

• Asgaro
      July 10th, 2011 at 10:44 pm

You are right.
      I read that too, e.g. there won’t be a “getting in car” animation (à la Crysis) in MP. It would interfere with hitboxes or so.

But other stuff like getting killed will probably look nicer in MP.

• JustAGuy
        July 10th, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I think it’s to bad that there isn’t going to be an animation for getting in a car, This would make people think before entering to get to a destination nearby (beginning of the round, chopper-fights) But I know it would be too much work to do..

• PrivatePimmel
        July 11th, 2011 at 11:22 am

The thing is that they only want to make it easier for a player to see weather an enemy is dead or not. If someone´s stumbling around or something it´s too much of a distraction i guess that´s what they want to say with it.

3. spayne131
    July 10th, 2011 at 11:09 pm

yeah I can c that. that was the same way with bc 2. the multiplayer was much more realistic than single player especially in animations

4. NoFreakinIdea
    July 10th, 2011 at 11:20 pm

sounds like a bit of oldish engine. hope they tune it up to look realistic.

• plumokin
      July 11th, 2011 at 12:31 am

they’ve rebuilt the frostbite engine ground up, they’re just calling it frostbite 2, its not an upgrade, its completely new

• bacix
      July 11th, 2011 at 7:14 am

oldish engine? are you serious? did you, at least, see any bf3 trailer ?

5. maxbox99
    July 11th, 2011 at 1:43 am

Old?

6. maxbox99
    July 11th, 2011 at 2:46 am

Am I the only one who noticed how the animation in the picture doesnt look real? Look at his right leg, looks like hes sliding or something…

• Excision
      July 11th, 2011 at 4:00 am

lol he IS sliding.

• Excision
      July 11th, 2011 at 4:03 am

If you actually watch the sniper mission video, it does show him sliding to cover, hitting the wall pretty hard with a little whiplash to the head region. It shows major realisim, like he’s really trying to hide to save his life. If you were getting shot by a barrage of bullets, would you walk to the wall? dont think so. I’d either dive, or slide there… on my belly… like a penguin.

• Excision
        July 11th, 2011 at 4:06 am

By the way, for people who don’t already know, I changed my name from Dubstep Transformer *other wise known as the man-lover* to Excision. Im talking to plumokin and others… I cant remember the other names right now, im playing OnLive on my laptop so i cant really concentrate on anything else. But yeah, Excision… Very good.

• plumokin
        July 11th, 2011 at 8:06 am

and Dude, and yay, i was mentioned! lol

• PrivatePimmel
        July 11th, 2011 at 12:35 pm

@Excision: And i thought i´d lost you :D Wanted to save your ass against brainless flamers here again ;D

• Excision
        July 11th, 2011 at 8:26 pm

oh and guys, I figured out who keeps taking everyones names and saying stupid shit. Maxbox99. report him or do something, if you can.

• maxbox99
        July 12th, 2011 at 1:56 am

Dude Ive never done that. What a fucking prick. You have to realize that Im apparently not the only one who doesnt like you at all. I told you everything I had to tell you and now Im done. Im here for news and to express my opinion to other BF fans, not to prove anything or piss others off. Know what? I thought about using your nickname but never did.

What a freakin asshole man this is damn low…

• Excision
        July 12th, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Really? you’re not the one who’s doing it? How come your the only one in the past comment saying XD hahaha or whatever? everyone else was pissed and you said it was the funniest comment you’ve ever seen. It seems that your lack of sympathy is suspicious. So if you aren’t the kid who keeps doing it, then I’m truly sorry. But on the otherhand, if you ARE the kid, then I will come to your house with a puppy, it’s the cutest little puppy you’ve ever seen… I’m goign to freeze it, thaw out it’s tail, and swing it like a fucking morningstar and hit your face so hard that you’ll look like that guy in the basement being held against his will from that movie The Goonies. thank you for your time.

• maxbox99
        July 12th, 2011 at 11:32 pm

XD I almost wish I was the one who did it… But yeah I accept your excuses… Just cause I think its kind of funny doesnt mean I did it…

7. Zetarn
    July 11th, 2011 at 3:21 am

Poped out from the tank are the only option here..

• MosquitoPower
      July 11th, 2011 at 3:57 am

Maybe because of he is getting suppressed by a .50 cal sniper rifle and he needs to take the sniper down, and only way is cover-to-cover running? I don’t see/think there is something wrong in that picture. :)

8. SaM
    July 11th, 2011 at 5:17 am

I’m glad we wont have enter/exit vehicle animations on MP. After a while, it would be so tedious to watch that stuff over and over and over again, every time you enter a tank.

9. Nibbit
    July 11th, 2011 at 9:15 am

I want to see some more MP footage! I am dying here …

10. Sphinx
    July 11th, 2011 at 9:21 am
  11. Nibbit
    July 11th, 2011 at 9:21 am

Wow! I found NEW FOOTAGE!!! :D

If you look closely you see a new animation too! Sweeeeet

*** new BF3 video ***

• Turbo7
      July 11th, 2011 at 6:14 pm

It’s not new footage. I think its just a blend of different videos from the “fault line” series and other trailers from E3.

12. Vladimir
    July 11th, 2011 at 9:22 am

We dont care about animations, we care about HIT REG, NO LAG and TEAMPLAY based GAME. Ask them how they manage that in BF3 and stop asking about graphics.

• Nibbit
      July 11th, 2011 at 1:32 pm

amen boy!

• Z0MBIEStheyN0MBIES
      July 11th, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Uhhh… Have you ever played a battlefield game before? Both the hit detection and the lag is based on YOUR internet connection, because you play on dedicated servers, and Battlefield is nothing BUT teamplay. If your team isn’t working together, you’re going to loose in battlefield.

• CurlyQu
        July 13th, 2011 at 6:45 am

You clearly don’t pay attention while playing BF. You obviously just shrug at each shot that doesn’t kill your enemy and dismiss it as lag or just a missed shot. My connection, 25Mb Up & Down, still doesn’t save me from the terrible hit reg.

13. legoingrdaproplayer
    July 11th, 2011 at 11:13 am

Yeah, they want to add few knifing animations to – from front, stealth (from behind) and from sides. But if it will be like in Bad Company 2 – I will be very angry, cause I had many situations, when I knifed guy and he just killed me with knife/gun and didn’t die. At first, they got to fix this issue.

• PrivatePimmel
      July 11th, 2011 at 11:24 am

Well i think it will be alot different from BC2. I hate the knifing there too, but from what i´ve heard, you have counter-attacks, if nobody disturbs you, you get the kill for sure and you are able to safe your friends being knifed with (for example) shooting the enemy that´s knifing your friend in the head^^

• CoolyFrost
        July 11th, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Something else i would like to note is that knifes are two hit kills from front and sides and on 1 hit on the back performing a stealth kill and that takes a while. Also stealth kills are the only way you get dogtags ;)

• Nibbit
        July 11th, 2011 at 1:33 pm

And if someone is lying on the ground? :o

• CoolyFrost
        July 11th, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Lol i have no freaking idea i guess if you’re from the back it does a different animation? xD

• PrivatePimmel
        July 11th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

As long as it looks nothing like this crap in BC2 :D it looks like a leg coming up and making a strike :D

• plumokin
        July 11th, 2011 at 10:14 pm

there are two types of knives, the equippable knife for stealth kills, and the quick middle click or analog click knife for two swipe kills

14. System
    July 11th, 2011 at 6:17 pm

This is interesting, I don’t think any other developer has done this before.

15. ReaperX
    July 12th, 2011 at 2:26 am

As always, if you need help with building a PC, picking parts, anything like that, hit me up with an email :) reaper2794@gmail.com