On July 15th, 2011 in News

BF3 soldierAccording to analyst Michael Pachter, whom we last heard of just a few days ago, Battlefield 3′s marketing budget might top $50 million. In a new note sent out to investors, which BF3blog got a copy of, Pachter said that EA could spend $45 to $50 million on marketing and promoting Battlefield 3. Pacther also noted that Activion would spend just as much on marketing Modern Warfare 3, if not more.

Back in April, EA CEO John Riccitiello said that EA and Activision will spend $100 million between them on marketing their respective games: Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3. Battlefield 3 has a head start of about two weeks, as it launches on October 25, while Modern Warfare will launch in the first or second week of November.

A few days ago, Pachter said in a similar note to investors that some hardcore Call of Duty players might “defect” to Battlefield 3 over Activision’s new “Elite” premium subscription service.

While EA generally doesn’t disclose how much they spend on marketing their games, it is expected that they’ll spend quite a lot on Battlefield 3, which is their biggest title in years. Battlefield 3′s budget is rumored to be around $25 million.

1. Kaizin514
    July 15th, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Want to gain alot of that back? Put it on Steam. Oh wait, that competes with Origin, but not Impulse, Gamestop, or Direct2Drive.

My bad.

• Steve
      July 15th, 2011 at 8:24 pm

• Doctalen
      July 15th, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Thought the said origin was not about competitive with steam. Why can’t people get off their asses and buy it in a store?

• Fo sho yo
        July 15th, 2011 at 10:28 pm

THANK you!

• plumokin
        July 15th, 2011 at 10:36 pm

i agree, just buy at a store

• Dude
        July 15th, 2011 at 10:41 pm

No kiddin’!
        “Wah, it’s not on Steam so I’m not gonna buy it!”
        Really? REALLY?!
        Does Steam pay you to say dumb crap like that?

July 15th, 2011 at 11:48 pm

That, or just pre order at some other fucking retailer. Sorry kids but Steam isn’t the only place you can get games for cheap.

• NoFreakinIdea
        July 16th, 2011 at 6:27 pm

i agree. i have never bought a game from steam, ever. +i love to collect the boxes of my games so move your fucking ass to a store or pre order it from the internet and you are fine…..
        jesus.

• Kernkraft
        July 16th, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Problem is that a lot of people (like me) don’t have a store near to buying from…no every country is like USA or most countries of Europe.

• NoFreakinIdea
        August 20th, 2011 at 1:45 am

we dont have stores nearby either, but its not impossible to order it from a faraway store, am i wrong? (i used to order my games from the Capital city which is 200km away from my home)

2. PrivatePimmel
    July 15th, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Well i think they´d deserve to gain that back. So far they´re doing a great job and i really hope it´s gonna be a big success.

3. core
    July 15th, 2011 at 7:40 pm

figured they whould do it better this time,DIE COD DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Vamby
    July 15th, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I think it is funny how the marketing budget is twice the actual development budget..

5. SaM
    July 15th, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I don’t think EA has had a bigger title since… I don’t even know. It’s been years since there has been such an anticipated game from EA, so of course they’re gonna spend some extra dough marketing it. The more the better.

6. JOE
    July 15th, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Anyone know when more gameplay footage will be released?

• core
      July 17th, 2011 at 12:27 pm

coma con july 21st.

7. JaCke
    July 15th, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I love that Modernwarfare3.com is a EA website which redirects all traffic to BF3, That makes me giggle inside :)

July 15th, 2011 at 11:47 pm

modernwarfare3.com = WIN *now* xD

• NoFreakinIdea
      July 16th, 2011 at 7:02 pm

WOW nice find XD

8. plumokin
    July 15th, 2011 at 10:39 pm

lol wen i see these commercials on tv im gonna be soo happy, im hoping cod commercials just suck compared to these lol

July 15th, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Lol fuck yeah dude, I mean the trailers were already badass, these commercials better have better production value than the stupid explosive black ops commercials.

• plumokin
        July 16th, 2011 at 12:03 am

i like the rolling stones, hated the commercials, they made the game seem better than it rele is, and the commercials were pretty shitty to begin with lol

9. Excision
    July 15th, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Hey BF3Blog, did they ever say anything about when they will air their first commercial? Because I want to break out the popcorn whenever they show it.

• plumokin
      July 15th, 2011 at 11:58 pm

omg i cant believe i didnt think of that, i am now legitimately going to get popcorn and watch it wen i find out wen it is… lol

10. Freeman
    July 16th, 2011 at 1:25 am

You an bet your ass that Activision will spend at least $100 million on MW3. If Battlefield 3 is to stand a chance on the sales front, EA has to spend a lot — $50 million is barely enough.

11. Elitemane
    July 16th, 2011 at 3:04 am

The game should be more advertisement towards everyone even fucking those annoying 12yr olds that camp and use kill boosters all the damn time.Another thing is to use montages and great music that every will enjoy like eden dubtep,foo fighters,lil wayne(yeah even him) or hans zimmer keep it modern.And use clips that don’t let on that players can camp or no-scope and that bullshit

July 16th, 2011 at 3:58 am

well you might as well take out dubstep because not everyone is ready for dubstep. I mean listen to the new songs comming on the radio now days. almost all the new pop songs have either techno rhythm or beats in the songs or are techno songs singing about being in a club. People are just now starting to accept techno as an enjoyable music genre. It’ll take years before people unlike you and I to start liking dubstep. It’s just too filthy xD

July 16th, 2011 at 3:59 am

and it’s not a clip, its a Mag or Magazine. No CoD terms plz. :P jk

• JustAGuy
        July 16th, 2011 at 3:03 pm

dude, a clip as in a video..

• plumokin
      July 16th, 2011 at 5:46 pm

i love metalcore but imagine putting it in the commercials, kids wud be crying around the world and most people wud be scared lol XDXD

12. Elitemane
    July 16th, 2011 at 3:24 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tARLSmSaCZU&feature=feedu this is what i’m talkin’ about and is my new website

13. Excision
    July 16th, 2011 at 3:26 am

This is OFF TOPIC, but very interesting if they could implement it in Battlefield 3. Comment, I’d like to hear your thoughts.

• Elitemane
      July 16th, 2011 at 3:33 am

it won’t make very much of a difference, when jimmy fallon was playing the ps3 it was running at 30fps so on the 360 it may run it 50 and at best 80 when the shit hits the fan

July 16th, 2011 at 3:55 am

Ok, well I have a brand new LED tv that runs 120hz, which means all my games run at 60 fps no matter what. I also have an HDMI cable which makes my games run at 1080p also on my Xbox 360, should be no different with the PS3. Since they can do anti aliasing on the 360 now, games will look much better without having jagged edges and stuff to take away from the visuals. I just wish they could implemement this into BF3 before it came out so that the Xbox version of BF3 would look a little better than the PS3. The game would still look great on all platforms even without this anti aliasing mimic, but I was just saying that it would look a little better if they put this in there. But I’m not worried about 30 fps or the 720p because I don’t have to. plus even if it did run at 30fps i still wouldnt mind, the visuals cancel the fps out, just like they did with BC2.

July 16th, 2011 at 4:08 am

“it may run it 50 and at best 80 when the shit hits the fan”

and what the hell does this mean, are you talking about frames per second? because 80 is pretty high. o.O

• Elitemane
        July 16th, 2011 at 4:27 am

what i meant was when theres a lot a action going on like buildings blow up and other stuff that would going as a building is fall down like tank and jet fights

• Floppy
        July 16th, 2011 at 4:36 am

@Excision Your games won’t run at 60 if your tv can handle it! Your TV is just the screen viewing what the whatever hardware is powering, in this case a game! Think of it like this: You have a new propeller on your boat! It is shiny and made out of a better material! Now, the propeller won’t make the boat go faster unless you have a stronger engine! But it can handle a higher speed! It’s not the tv running the game! It’s your console! The tv is just proposing what the console preforms! Same goes with HDMI cables, it’s a better propeller that can handle higher speeds! But it won’t unless the engine preforms higher.

July 16th, 2011 at 6:37 am

Have you ever watched TV on a 120hz TV? everything runs at LIFE speed *60 fps* you can’t contradict me on something that I already know to be true.

July 16th, 2011 at 6:42 am

Has anyone else here watched TV on a HD LED TV that is 120hz? because in my living room we just bought a 42″ LED flat screen that is 120hz. I watch Tosh.O on it alot and it runs at 60fps. Can someone back me up on this so this guy doesn’t get legistical on me? because i can’t really explain to him what I mean by saying that MY games appear to be 60fps when i play on my 120hz tv.

• sputnik
        July 16th, 2011 at 9:35 am

Excision, you are clearly misinformed about frame rates and “hz” (hertz). For example, let’s say I am running a video game and I hard set to make it run at 5 (five) frames per second and then display it on a 120hz led hdtv.

What frame rate is the video game running at??

Answer: The game will still look like it is running in stop motion and look very sluggish despite your tv being able to display at 120hz. Dice have said console versions of the game will run at 30fps.

In pc gaming, there is a big difference (clearly visible) between 30fps and 60fps especially in terms of how responsive the game feels.

• Dude
        July 16th, 2011 at 5:46 pm

@Excision:
        Floppy has it right. Your TV may be 1080p w/ a 120hz REFRESH rate, but if your console has a game in it that utilizes that console at 30fps/720p, then that’s what you’ll see.

14. Elitemane
    July 16th, 2011 at 4:02 am

i wish they had like button for comments here ,excision will proubly get a ridiculous amount

July 16th, 2011 at 4:08 am

Thank you! :D

July 16th, 2011 at 4:09 am

Here, how about this:

If you Like the comment, type: ^ This

If you Dislike the comment, type: v This

• Elitemane
        July 16th, 2011 at 5:25 am

See your big fan the XM8 too huh?

July 16th, 2011 at 6:38 am

lol yeah, when it was a good weapon. They nerfed it. I like the AEK-971 now. Its beast if you put MMN AR and 4 OPT scope on it.

July 16th, 2011 at 6:39 am

You must tap the trigger though in order for it to be effective.

15. DrunkenMonkey247
    July 16th, 2011 at 8:01 am

Hey excision your a freakin idiot if you think your tv will make a difference in how the hardware that is producing the graphics or images will perform. It only makes a difference when the hardware producing the content is capable of making the difference in the first place. Tv shows are completley different thats why theres HD and regular ass tv, or blue ray and dvd. I have a sick tv myself so I know, im not just talkin out my ass like you. But hey your cool sorry bout before im always drunk.

July 16th, 2011 at 8:58 am

Bro I’m sorry to tell you you’re wrong, but you are. I don’t mean that in a sarcastic or mean or hurtful way, it’s just that MY TV runs everything that I put onto it, wether its a Movie or a Game or a TV show, but it takes the picture and makes it more fluid and run the picture at 60 fps. You say the the hardware run the frames per second… well then how come my TV shows run at 60 fps? theres no hardware involved! The information is being broughbt through a cable and ends up as a picture on my screen. Same effect with my console, its just that the picture is being MADE at my xbox, the picture travels THROUGH the CABLE and since my TV is 120hz, and isn’t just a solid light bulb like an old Bubble tv, the picture is turned into a more fluid-like motion instead of being “skippy”. I’d understand your argument if I had an old BUBBLE tv, but since i have the newest and best kind of TV to own, *and it has its own wifi too which updates its firmware every couple of months* i dont have to worry about having any type of fluid picture, no matter where it comes from. Can some one with an LED TV with 120hz back me up on this? I’m tired of explaining how New TV’s work!!!

July 16th, 2011 at 9:01 am

And you can’t really judge since your statements are based on opinion. Also, those opinions are being seen as irrelevant considering you are completely wasted all the time.

16. Excision
    July 16th, 2011 at 9:00 am

“i dont have to worry about having any type of fluid picture”

Edit: I dont have to worry about any type of skippy picture”

17. legoingrdaproplayer
    July 16th, 2011 at 10:18 am

50 milions? So what they want to do – Battlefield 3 mission in real life? ^^ By the way that would be interessting idea :D

18. Colt_Gun
    July 16th, 2011 at 11:18 am

@excision so by your logic i never have to upgrade my computer specs, i just need to run it through a good tv?

It dosn’t matter if your tv can run 60fps, the console is only sending the appropriate data through the cable to show 30fps, because thats all the console is capable of doing even if your tv has to play the same frame twice to make it statistically 60fps. also just because it has ‘HD’ in the name dosnt mean that everything that goes through it will be 1080p fullHD the HD cord will still only run what the console/computer/DVD player/whatever pumps into it. your tv shows are probably being broadcasted or satelited or whatever the hell tv signals do at 1080p 60fps. therefore your tv will be able to run it.

If you plug a N64 or PS1 or something similar into your TV is that magically going to run at 1080p 60fps? No it wil not because the game is not capable of delivering that. Are you serious or are you trollin cause your logic is deeply flawed.

(sorry for the hard to understand english but this is an answer to a statement that is so obvious it is not worth putting any effort into.)

• joongoon
      July 16th, 2011 at 5:58 pm

wow, he just told you. and when did you start thinking the TV did the work and not the console.

July 16th, 2011 at 9:13 pm

You know what. Cool. You’re right. I guess I have something wrong with my eyes to where I see everything at 60 fps. My bad. I’m sorry that you know everything even though you’re probably only 16-20 years old. By now you have gained enough knowledge to know more than anyone else in the whole world about TVs and frames per second. I’m sorry I argued with you, God.

July 16th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

“It dosn’t matter if your tv can run 60fps, the console is only sending the appropriate data through the cable to show 30fps…”

THATS WHAT I’VE BEEN SAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you kids fucking blind or something? I’ve said multiple times that my TV produces picture, no matter if its a game or a video, it shows everything I put onto it at FUCKING 60 FRAMES PER SECOND. Everything else you typed after that sentence right there… IS IRRELEVANT. And another thing that is irrelevant about your statement is that, “If you plug a N64 or PS1 or something similar into your TV is that magically going to run at 1080p 60fps?”

OF COURSE IT WON’T YOU MORON… if you take a look at the major graphical differene between and Xbox 360 and a fucking PS1 or N64, N64 is like 16 bit and PS1 is like 32 bit or something of that nature, they didnt have the technology back then to produce anything higher than like 360p. We have the technology now in TV’s that can update firmware *my LED TV* and can manipulate picture, no matter where it comes from, into a more fluid and higher pixelated fucking picture. Why the hell would you even MENTION the N64 and try to compare THAT to the newest technology today. I don’t know if oyu know this already, but every year that goes by, we advance 6 years in technology. You didn’t tell me shit. Your a fucking moron. Do not ever try to argue with me again… Dipshit.

July 16th, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Colt gun please leave this website, and have someone cut off your hands so you don’t have the right to type stupid senseless shit before reading what i’ve said before. Once you learn how to read, THEN and ONLY THEN, can you argue with me. I know what I’m talking about. You, on the other hand, just want something to argue about when you log onto Teh Internetz as you fucking nerds call it. Cut off your balls and soak them in Acid until they dissolve. Never reproduce, that is the best way you can help this world, we don’t want more retarded offspring running around collecting welfare checks they dont deserve.

19. Colt_Gun
    July 16th, 2011 at 11:24 am

just so were clear im not saying that a good tv wont make a game look better, it obviously will. it will not magically make a game that is programed to run at 30fps run at 60fps however.

July 16th, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Go to Best Buy *if you have one* and go browse the TV section, and go find a nice, lets say, Sony Bravia TV, and you watch what they put on the screen and THEN YOU TELL ME THAT THAT PICTURE ISN’T MOVING AT 60 FPS… YOU LOSE, THANKS FOR PLAYING.

20. Elitemane
    July 16th, 2011 at 11:52 am

all of you are wrong, the tv just projects the images it does not control fps, it depends on how much is going on during gameplay or a movie,thats why its called frames per second a video of snail vs a video of Bugatti which will have more frames per second.Plus fps is the reason why your ps3 or xbox locks up half the time because theres too much going on or the cache is full,which is never suppose to happen

July 17th, 2011 at 6:22 am

LOL, you obviously know nothing about consoles.

1: heres a link to something that can help the consoles, and your precious little PC.
      Very interesting read.

2: The Xbox 360 and the PS3 platforms haven’t even been tapped out to their full potential yet. If you read that link, they are still optimizing the Xbox 360. PC’s get outdated every 2 years and will keep being outdated. Consoles were made to last, with little graphical updates here and there, The console is still being updated, for free, while you guys have to pay 500+ dollars every two or three years for a new graphics card in order for you to play the lastest games. And for the Cache problem, which really isn’t a problem at all, theres actually an option to where you can clear your cache if you want. If you want the best performance out of your console, you should clear your cache every 3 months or so to keep it clean.

No matter these facts i’ve given you, the key point is, and always will be that, BF3 is going to be AMAZING, no matter the platform. :) I hope you found this informative.

July 17th, 2011 at 6:23 am

Excuse me, 200+ dollars.

• Elitemane
        July 17th, 2011 at 5:33 pm

still wrong let me be MORE CLEAR
        1.fps is controlled the video or game itself, then the application running it creates the picture as the file plays.

2.More fps means there would be more stuff going on possibly in the background,and so on.

3.Another thing is hardware accelerators that speed the process up slightly but NOT REMARKABLY improved.

4.when i saw the ps3 version it look horrible but then i turned on the hd and it looked way better, meaning hd format changes how slugish your gameplay will look, i have a sony braivia tv with new 3d settings i bought it march and it has 1080p output resolution and everything looks beutiful your thinking of resolution not fps

21. bloodysquad2
    July 16th, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Some TVs or or computers or GPUs have something called hardware acceleration if I know what i’m saying. Excisions TV probably accelerates the images or edits them with its own built-in hardware to look and run better. Computers do it, so why not TVs?

July 16th, 2011 at 9:14 pm

THANK YOU. jesus christ…

22. sputnik
    July 16th, 2011 at 8:12 pm

@bloodysquad2. As for as I know there is hardware acceleration for playing video files: using the gpu’s power to decode a video. I do not think there is “hardware acceleration” for running 3d games. Also, there is also hardware acceleration for running some non-gaming software like video compression/conversion programs.

July 16th, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Where the hell does 3D games fit into any of the conversations…

23. sputnik
    July 17th, 2011 at 2:04 am

@excision: i should have been clearer. I meant 3d applications, games that move in a 3d landscape inside the videogame, not 3d vision. You still need to differentiate between fps and a monitor/tv’s refresh rate (hz), which I do not think you are understanding correctly. The fact that you believe you are correct is mind boggling.

Also, we aren’t blind here, no need to bold every other word to make your point.

Check this post, second comment:

What’s the point of arguing with someone that ends up name calling and curses you to soak your balls in acid??

(face palm)

July 17th, 2011 at 6:27 am

Film is shot using 24 frames per second whereas video is shot using 30 or 60 frames per second. For the video it’s no problem displaying this smoothly on a display that operates at 60 Hz because the number of video frames divide evenly into the display’s refresh rate. e.g. If the video you’re displaying has 30 frames per second you simply display each frame twice. However, if your source is film with 24 frames per second you can’t directly map the film frames to the display frames. To get around this they use a technique called 3:2 pulldown. In a nutshell, 3:2 pulldown is an algorithm that displays some of the frames 3 times and some of them twice in order to map the film’s 24 fps to 30 fps. The downside of 3:2 pulldown is it introduces motion artifacts. This is mostly noticeable in fast moving scenes or pans – you may see blurriness, choppiness, etc.

This is where 120 Hz refresh rates come in. 120 Hz is nice because 24 fps film or 30 or 60 fps video all divide evenly into the refresh rate of the display so you no longer need to use 3:2 pulldown. There’s a good article here that goes into a lot more detail about 3:2 pulldown: http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_…2_pulldown.htm

To answer your specific questions, HD hockey looks great and smooth because it’s shot in video so no need to do any 3:2 pulldown. There shouldn’t be any difference between a 60 Hz display and a 120 Hz display for video sources (assuming all other components of the display are equal). It won’t make any difference for SD either. SD looks like crap because it’s SD, plain and simple. The difference would be with film based material. If you have a film based source and a Blu-ray or HD DVD player capable of outputting 1080p/24 then you will get an optimal picture with a 1080p/24 display running at 120 Hz because it won’t need to do any 3:2 pulldown.

That was the third comment down, and completely explains why my games play at 60fps on my 120hz tv. (double faceplam)

24. Colt_Gun
    July 17th, 2011 at 2:28 am

fuck. if a tv is only recieving 30 frames per second from the console thats all it will play. even if it plays 2 of the same frame after each other. the tv cannot fucking create the missing frames out of thin air to fill in the gaps, that what the console is doing! and if the console is only sending 30 frames per second thats all the tv will play! it may do some fancy blurring or similar effect between frames to make it look smoother and closer to 60fps but it is still only 30 frames that tv will play per second if thats the maximum the console sends it. and btw im 24.

im sorry if ive misunderstood what you previously typed, what i thought you said was that your tv will run bf3 at 60 frames per second through your console so long as you have an HD cord. it will not.

July 17th, 2011 at 3:22 am

Like i said, go to best buy, and look at a brand new sony bravia tv or omething like it, and THEN tell me im wrong.

25. COLDKILL
    July 17th, 2011 at 2:59 am

Lets not forget that it is only a number, people. Its all going to come down to marketing strategy. CoD could spend 100 and bf3 only 50 but who’s is going to be more effective?