On July 31st, 2011 in News

By all accounts, we won’t be seeing Battlefield 3 on Steam, to many gamers’ dismay (including ours). Game analyst Michael Pachter, whom we’ve heard from several times here on BF3Blog, answered a question during his latest Pach-Attack! show, concerning Battlefield 3 and how much in sales it would cost EA not to offer it on Steam.

Pachter predicts total sales of 8 million for Battlefield 3, with 10% of the sales happening on the PC platform. That’s 800,000 units, and he believes that Steam would have accounted for half of that — 400,000. Since it’s not on Steam, EA’s Origin will be offering BF3, but Pachter still believes that EA will take a hit if about 100,000 copies — 100,000 copies less sold if Battlefield 3 is not on Steam.

This isn’t a big deal, financially speaking. Many expect BF3 sales to top 10 million, and a loss of 100,000 represents only 1% of the total sales. We can imagine the vast majority of PC gamers who are disappointed about lack of Steam support will eventually buy the game, either via Origin, or another download service, or get in retail.

One things that surprised us about Pachter’s prediction is that PC would only account for 10% of the sales — this seems quite low, as Bad Company 2 has seen somewhere around 2.5 million units sold on PC, out of 9 million in total. In other words, PC sales represented a 27% take. With the anticipation and marketing money behind Battlefield 3, it’s easy to see it sell far more then the 800,000 units on PC that Pachter estimates.

1. ReturnoftheZak
    August 1st, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Ok to all you people out there saying: oh its a failure! Well grow up deal with it and stop acting like a friking 5 year old!!! and its only in alpha maybe they will change some things maybe not..I didn’t even buy BFBC2 or 1 all i did was play BF2 and 2142 then that was it…and i say the game is gonna be awesome! I ONLY PLAYED BF2 and 2142 not BC! And looks great believe me…..GO BATTLEFIELD 3!!!

2. Fighter
    August 1st, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I´d say BF3 will sell about 30% on PC.
    If you look on the left side, on BFBC2 about 30% of all Players are on PC.
    And it will probably sell about like 12 million.

And MW3 will sure get the new record, for being the nearly same game as the previous ones but we can´t change it…

3. Daniel
    August 1st, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I figure they will bind the game to Origin for Piracy reasons, so thank you asshats that bitorrent games. thank you for nothing.

• Daniel
      August 1st, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Mind you that it can be bought elsewhere but I see it needing Origin to run, which is fine.

4. Pingback: EA confirms: Battlefield 3 won’t be on Steam - Battlefield 3

5. Marc
    August 8th, 2011 at 2:23 pm

is pachter a cod fan?

6. goldrunout
    August 8th, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I think BF3 will sell A LOT more copies than that on PC. BC2 wasn’t a pc game the way hardcore players think about it, while BF3, if it’s not, is damn closer.
    Could someone tell me where those BC2 data come from?

7. K.Tat
    August 16th, 2011 at 11:35 am

I’m sorry, I won’t be buying it, good day sir.

8. Moiz
    August 31st, 2011 at 11:09 am

I like steam.

I like my friends lists and joining my friends and bro online for a game of left 4 dead or team fortress 2 if they’re online.

I like pressing shift+tab and opening steam browser to youtube for songs during multiplayer games.

I like having my games all in one place and not have to close one program and log into another if I want to play something else.

I like convenience of not looking after my discs and having it installed on all my machines at once.

I like steam bundles of all map packs and DLC for 66% off! I like how steam cuts its own share to zero to make those deals.

I like how steam EULA does not give valve the right to collect any information about me without my consent.

I want fucking steam. rawwrrrrr >:(
    That analyst is dead right. Steam ads hit millions of gamers each time they log in. MW3 is going to be mooching right in their face everyday while EA gets their damn legal rights.

Patching issues? fuck that. Valve’s own games churn out patches and extra content every week. TF2 once put out 2GB worth of new content in one month. I doubt -EA- would top that. Even with BF3.

its all just an excuse to monopolize BF3 on origin (and 100 other virtually unknown digital retails. Who the fuck is going to go for them over origin? and who the fuck would go for origin over steam?) and still make origin seem like the good guy.

If BF3 isnt on steam, i’ll even think about pirating it. and i certainly wont pre-order it.
    /rant off