On April 13th, 2011 in News

BF3 urban
There have been a lot of technical details regarding the new Frostbite 2.0 engine, which powers Battlefield 3. But we’ve never gotten anything concrete, for instance, what is the engine capable of doing when it comes to multiplayer maps? We know the maps made with the previous version of Frostbite (1.5, in Bad Company 2), were somewhat limited and a lot smaller than those found in Battlefield 2.

We can now exhale with relief, as DICE’s Patrick Bach has revealed in a recent interview with Norweigan game magazine Gamer, saying that Battlefield 3 will feature the biggest maps DICE has ever made.

“The game is still early in development, but I can tell you that Battlefield 3 will have the largest maps we have ever made”

Bach went on, pointing out that BF3 will support 64 players on PC, and it will be possible to have both jets, helicopters, tanks and infantry combat on a single map.

The more details are revealed, the more excited we get about Battlefield 3, and we’ve yet to have any concrete multiplayer details. For that, expect the big unveiling at E3 in a few months.

1. Freeman
    April 14th, 2011 at 12:56 am

This will truly be awesome, some of the maps in BF2 were humongous, like Gulf of Oman and Clean Sweep.

BF3, with its level of destruction, the gorgeous visuals and huge maps will be welcomed. One thing I wish for: long draw distances. This is one of the things the last few BF games, including BF2, lacked. Look at the draw distance in Crysis, you could practically see what was going on a dozen miles away.

2. SaM
    April 14th, 2011 at 1:57 am

Bigger maps also mean more places for fucking snipers to camp… Especially with prone coming back, hopefully DICE has something to counter those asshats who spend the entire round in the same spot.

• Anon
      April 14th, 2011 at 6:06 am

You don’t like realism? Oh right, snipers should run around the map with a bolt action rifle while you spray them with an assault rifle…

• ComonSense
        April 27th, 2011 at 12:42 am

Real Life =/= Game
        Real Life =/= Fun
        Moron.

• Waaaaaaaaaaat
        June 7th, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Actually, a good sniper would shoot then move to avoid detection. Players should rely on skill more than location. Of course there is the counter argument that finding good sniping locations is a skill in and of itself, but thats so pathetic it makes me slightly sick. The day that people stop camping and start playing like a real man will be the day I chop off my balls. And to the other guy who says “its just for fun man”. A. Learn to spell. B. Learn proper grammar. C. Grow a brain. When “Fun” consists of people killing me from the same spot across the map over and over, I truly beleive gaming will be dead.

• Leeski
          August 18th, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Learn to spell and use grammer hey, i before e except after c.. ‘believe’

• edarling
        October 26th, 2011 at 7:51 pm

its not realistic to have a whole platoon of snipers (when fighting 1 platoon vs 1 platoon)…. 1-3 fine… but right now (bfbc2) more than half are snipers.

• Mark Wallis
      April 14th, 2011 at 8:58 am

Bullet contrails.

• Cocojoe
      April 14th, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Sniper vs fighter bomber, who’s gonna win?

• Nailcannon
      April 14th, 2011 at 5:32 pm

i think a sniper that can account for the bullet drop and travel time for a mile away, and scopes probably wont have enough zoom to make someone clearly visible from far enough away that they cant shoot back.

• RegX
      April 27th, 2011 at 12:58 am

Have you played BF2? Once someones see you snipe camping they going to come back to say hi in a tank or drop bombs on you from a jet.. or just walk behind you and shank!

• StudTrunkMonkey
      May 21st, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I have been playing online games for almost 10 years now. The only game designer that has ever got the game right is Novalogic(DeltaForce).
      What is so wrong with a sniper staying in one spot. At the End of the game are you mad because a sniper might be 12-0 and you as a run and gunner have 25-12(est.) Cry me a river……The game should have a real threat of having snipers in it, not a bunch of headless chickens spray and prayN. If anyone of you have ever played the Novalogic Delta Force series you would know that the game balances just fine with everyone being able to play their own way……

• +1 for the delta force series
        August 27th, 2011 at 8:44 pm

^this man speaks truth. dflw guy myself, and i’d have to agree all the way. it’s somewhat realistic. if you dont want snipers, go play small maps. dont like the sniper myself, and you’ll die from them a few times. so what, go the other way, or avoid him/them. play your game, dont worry about theirs.

• David
      June 4th, 2011 at 2:44 pm

It’s called spotting….and jets, and other snipers.

• Anon15
      June 24th, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Actually bigger maps means it’s harder for snipers due to the long distances involved, therefore a lot of snipers will give up and only the skilled snipers will actually be left. It will balance out. And why whine about snipers staying in the same spot the whole match? I am often a sniper and I find that snipers who stay in the same spot all match are the easiest snipers to kill. Any good sniper will take a few shots and move. Therefore, you can’t whine at them for camping, as the move. The snipers who stay still should be easy for you to kill, as long as you are better than them at the game. You can’t whine at someone just because they are better than you. Anyway, snipers who stay still are rarely any good. You should be able to kill them easy.

• Ray
      July 24th, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Dont worry dice made it so snipers give off a lens flare which you can easily see if you look in the snipers direction

• Elite Sniper
      August 9th, 2011 at 7:42 am

Welcome to war. Snipers are one of the most feared enemies that ground forces face. that is why squads have tactics when it comes to navigating the battlefield. Learn them and use them, and if you get fired on by a sniper but are lucky enough to survive the first shot and get behind cover, then stay the hell down, Request assistance such as air support, or have a counter sniper scan the area. Don’t try to peak your head out with a CQC machine gun, or you’ll just be another casualty. Minus 1 respawn ticket. \m/

• Silentstalker
        February 18th, 2012 at 3:11 am

right, you know, maybe if all us snipers start callin all you spray and prayers trigger campers that would make it better, stop being a baby cause you can’t when, mabye you should just ask everyone to come stand still in the open so its easier for you. (that’s for everyone that crys about snipers campin)

• Coldsteal
      August 27th, 2011 at 2:51 am

Dude, when i looked at gameplay of snipers their scopes glimmer when they aim at you so its easier to spot them.

• Silentstalker
      February 18th, 2012 at 3:06 am

Poor baby,,, I get it you can’t hit anything if it requires accuracy. anybody can hold a trigger down and spray a target 4 ft in front of you, ( My 4 yr old son can) but one well placed shot over 1500 meters just makes you scared. not everyone wants to play Mario brothers jumpin up and down snatchin invisible coins from the air.

3. Snezzey
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:17 am

regardlessly if it makes spots for snipers guess you have to look at it as in real life you cant just call the guy a camper as he puts a 50 .cal through your head. Bigger maps are going to make sniping realistic and one hell of a challenge but definetly they need some way to counter this. Jets will definetly deter them especially with the new level of destruction regardless if your hiding behind a wall a HE Missle aint going to mind much.

4. ArithonUK
    April 14th, 2011 at 7:55 am

Give chopper gunners “thermal vision” and snipers are countered. There! Solved the problem of realism Vs balance. Move along, nothing to see here.

• snezzey
      April 14th, 2011 at 11:39 am

agreed mate, though in brightly lit maps the thermal would be a washout so each pro has a con ay

• Anon15
        June 24th, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Light has nothing to do with thermal vision, that is the point and why COD failed miserably at their thermal scopes.

• SaM
      April 14th, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Hell, give everyone thermal vision. An IR scope unlock would be awesome.

• Anon15
        June 24th, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I am sensing a COD fanboy here: he doesn’t like ‘camping’ and wants thermal etc. Although, to be honest, I would like thermal, but it should be a speciality for a certain class, like mortar strike or C4, so not many people have it. And I hope they get it right if they do, cause COD failed miserably. Snow showed up as white, when actually is should show as very dark black. Anyway, real thermal scopes are tinted either orange or green.

5. Anonymous
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I just hope it’s still possible to walk around and not need a vehicle to go anywhere. I remember the BF2 days of half a team camping spawn waiting for a vehicle.

To counter snipers, just make an equipment option sniper sound locator. With each shot a sniper takes you get more and more firm arrows pointing to the direction. It exists in real life, put it in the game.

6. Trolling Snipers
    April 14th, 2011 at 4:35 pm

SaM: stop being a got dayum rookie and hunt down the snipers and kill them, preferably with a knife.

Or are you one of those shining stars that just keeps going back to the same spot to engage snipers at long range, continuously getting killed and never learning their lesson?

Tactics, how do they work? DUUUURP. Snipers gonna snipe, stop whining.

7. Buc
    April 14th, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I hope that the maps aren’t any bigger than Highway Tampa in BF2, I mean that map was freakin’ huge. I had to drive around to find a fight, then do it again. Also, I personally think maps the size of regular BF2 64 player maps were perfect. I hope DICE chooses to release more maps brought back from BF2, more so all 15 official maps :) .

8. liquidlol
    April 14th, 2011 at 7:58 pm

who cares about a sniper camping, srsly. STOP complaining

9. Mr Pink
    April 14th, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I think if you have the sniper sound detection equipment and/or thermal for aircraft, the issue is pretty much resolved. Really it comes down to is your team good at teamwork or not in finding the sniper. But also, based on my experience sniping in BC2, it gets VERY hard to make accurate shots at really long range, even with the Barret, and BC2 didn’t even have windage or other factors besides bullet drop, so I think people may be overreacting. I have a friend who sometimes switches with me and he is one of the few people I have seen make accurate long range shots on some of the larger BC2 maps, like from the mountain ridge (B) past A on Heavy Metal!

IAlso, I’m not sure how it worked in BF2, which I played once or twice on a friend’s computer, but I think a great option would be to have a separate sub-base for pilots, because I know just from playing the console version of BC2 that half the time you play, half your team fights over who gets the aircraft. Of course, on PC’s this may be less of an issue (they do have more clans and such), but it’s still pretty annoying. I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this, but I think it would be great if Battlefield 3 was 32 player for the consoles, if that is possible for the current hardware.

10. Billw
    April 20th, 2011 at 11:11 am

I hope they do something similar to Project Reality where there are a certain number of pilot kits and once you get get no one else can get one, this will reduce the number of people wait around for jets..

11. tsac
    May 2nd, 2011 at 4:08 am

I hope the maps are huge! I’m going to miss being a commander..

Battlefield 3 Clan

• Penlingpat
      July 21st, 2011 at 10:12 pm

so true…

12. bubabaTR
    May 21st, 2011 at 9:46 pm

i would like to say something to Mr.SaM.look my friend. people are buying games for fun. what the fuck you cant do anything you want. you buy the game you can move however you want. even if its campin walk arround and go on. its just for fun man

• jerry
      June 20th, 2011 at 2:49 am

very funny man. some of us only game to win. a defected game is a defected game – case closed.

• BBC2/BF3
        August 10th, 2011 at 8:01 am

Its not a defected game, just a bad player(s).

13. lol
    June 7th, 2011 at 9:19 pm

ITT: Retard sniping campers who can’t play games skillfully

• Alex Muir
      August 15th, 2011 at 8:10 pm

This is the funny bit. Camping in CoD and camping in BF3 is completely different

A sniper in CoD has to: Look at the enemy and shoot…Thats it.

A sniper in CoD has to: Look at the enemy, Take into acount the bullet drop and (aim higher than the target) and also aim far in front of the target so that by the time the bullet gets there the bullet will hit.

Repeat steps once or twice more incase the bullet decreases damage due to range.

*waits for a not so witty comment*

14. Rootles
    June 13th, 2011 at 6:40 am

Bring back ‘wing walking’ from BF42 – lol

On a more serious note regarding the in-game ‘sniper’ role, I have always thought it better use if this class partially replaced the ‘commander’ role, give the sniper more to do when it comes to ‘observations’ of the enemy (the more observations/assistance they give the team their accuracy is increased during gameplay or something like that) this could enhance the class greatly, similar to BF42 where the ‘scout’ class gave enhanced sight to artillery it could be implemented in a similar fashion, and slightly reduce the ‘kill-camping’ smacktards from that class (not to say everyone choosing the class is a ‘smackustardus’ though it did seem to attract a lot of the ‘tards’).

15. ArRwsTia
    June 13th, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Hey guys i am planning to buy this game but unfortunately my pc is running on xp. Although my pc fulfils the other requirements i am still worried about getting the game…so what i want to ask is if my pc cat finally run the game.I would appreciate it if someone who knows about it could reply. And something else,this game rocks but i hope and wish it looks like more with bfbc2 and not a cod..

• Anon15
      June 24th, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Tell me the specs of your pc first and then I will help you. E.g: Processor model, RAM, Motherboard model etc. If all comes to the worst, buy a new pc cause every game is going to need it eventually. I recently got a new pc for £500 that can run BFBC2 at full settings 91FPS. The trick is to buy the parts from scan.co.uk and put it together yourself :P

• ArRwsTia
        August 4th, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Hey dude firstly thanks for replying..Look i think my Intel Core 2 Duo pc and my graphic card can run BF3 in normal…my only problem is that my pc runs with xp…so it seems that i am gonna buy a cd containing w7′s software cuz i have no paypals or credit cards to do what u said..its a bit annoing for me buyng a pc running with xp 3 years ago and suddenly stop selling it (from windows),creating w7 and finally making xp looks useless…Anyway that’s another story…and thanks for replying again (forgive me for my english)

• madman
      October 13th, 2011 at 12:54 pm

yet another idiot.

16. kawasabi
    June 15th, 2011 at 4:18 pm

For me the big maps will result in boring game play…
    Cant be bothered to drive 5 minutes to find a fight and when i finally do get killed and do it all over again if there is no one to spawn on.
    So most maps of BC2 for me on Rush a big enough, i like close combat.

• BBC2/BF3
      August 10th, 2011 at 8:06 am

All you have to do is create a fight. If you look at some of the trailers, some maps will be large but also with a close quarter feeling.

17. B
    June 19th, 2011 at 11:56 pm

As already announced each map can be played on every game mode. If you like rush the section of the map will be smaller than say conquest. You can play whatever and however you like. Btw what is so bad about snipers? You know where they are camping after 1 kill cam, if you can’t take them down knowing where they are your just whining because they a better than you. It’s not like there are 100 different ways to get them lol. Quit your whining jabs.

• Michael
      September 22nd, 2011 at 1:58 am

there will be NO killcam in BF3… I like it :D

18. jerry f
    June 20th, 2011 at 2:47 am

i am a hardcore bf2 pc gamer that gamed 60-85 hrs. per week every wk for 2 yrs. i have logged more than 100 defects in the game and so has hundreds of thousands of other players. every ea 1st person shooter has the same problems, bad company, 2142 and etc. i will never play any ea game every again, in fact i quit gaming altogether. thanks ea for making such defected games.

• Anon15
      June 24th, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I think you need to quit gaming (at least for a while) as you have WAY to much time. I play for about 1-2 hours per day, most days, but sometimes I go weeks without playing. Seriously find something else to do, like get a job at EA games so you can tell them about these defects and do it better yourself.

• Nathan
      July 14th, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Try getting some pussy and maybe you won’t have or want enough time to log 60+ hours a week gametime to bitch about game defects

19. Gulrix
    July 2nd, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I think it would be pretty cool if BF3 or even the next BF had naval warfare. Submarine and surface :) thoughts?

• Penlingpat
      July 21st, 2011 at 10:12 pm

on a lot of maps in BF2 that had water there have been boats with gunner seats and sitting areas where you can shoot from. also helicopters can transport troops into the water but the choppers have 2 mini guns on them and three people could sit and shoot with their traditional gun from their kit so naval warfare should be fine. except for submarines, i dont think DICE could support that and what if only one team had subs how could you sink it?

• dw
        October 25th, 2011 at 3:10 am

You obviously haven’t played bf 1942. Some maps had a aircraft carrier, submarine, and a battle ship each one of them could be controlled moved around. The sub could fire torpedoes and the battleship could shell the shore or other ships with its guns. :)

20. cyanghost109
    July 2nd, 2011 at 7:35 pm

BF3 will NOT have the biggest maps. There is another game out there called Joint Ops which can support up 200 players PER SERVER. Seems people have forgotten about this game. I advise you all check it out before you say that BF3 beats the record.

• Yggdrassil
      July 9th, 2011 at 12:49 pm

It says it will be the biggest maps DICE has ever created not other companies.

• BBC2/BF3
      August 10th, 2011 at 8:11 am

DICE is breaking a record because its graphics are fantastic, and it can hold a record amount of players so in a way it is still superior to Joint Ops.

21. Silent_Type
    July 12th, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I have played BF2 since it’s release in 05.
    never get tired of it. it has been an awsome game.
    snipers??? so what. thats the last thing i’m worried about.
    i’d like to see the nade/clay spam gone.
    most people would need a semi following them to toss so many frags lol

22. swampleech
    July 12th, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I most humbly…
    ask, plead, and beg…
    the game designers…yes you… = (the holy one’s)…
    to please, PLEASE!…
    make some way that all the..
    “Rabbits” = (Hopper’s),
    and
    “Flopper’s” = dolphin divers,
    out there…
    some how have no way to commit these most terrible sins.

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, RABBITS!

(By the way…Die rabbits)!

You can TRY to take revenge on me for these statements in Bf2…
    for now….

• madman
      October 13th, 2011 at 1:04 pm

This is your brain after 80+ hours of gaming. ive have seen these symptoms before. the only cure is to leave your moms basement and go find your self a hooker and a sixpack of beer ;p

23. swampleech
    July 12th, 2011 at 10:29 pm

P.S. The squad leader/commander part of Bf2 is what makes this the best of the best,…I truly hope you always keep this concept in future games…!

Swampleech

24. HIDDEN WARRIOR
    July 20th, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I WILL BE THE SNIPER THAT HAUNTS YOU FROM THE HILLS

25. Penlingpat
    July 21st, 2011 at 10:08 pm

ALright ive played every battlefield made and i own almost all of them. Snipers can be a pain in the ass i know. but DICE made it so that if a sniper stays still for to long their scope will make a flash on your mini map so if they dont move you can detect them. PROBLEM SOLVED

• madman
      October 13th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

no it will not. fool. the only time you will see lens flare is when you use the 12x ballistic scope on your rifle. that is why all of the intelligent snipers will be using the 8x rifle scope. because it will not cause lens flare at all. so you still will never know where that bullet that just punched through the back of your skull ever came from :) and it does not show up on the map. you have to be looking in the direction the shot came from and then look for the lens flare and by then your already dead so it does not even faze us BUAHHAHAHAHA!