On April 20th, 2011 in News

BF3 demo
UPDATE: GameSpot has gotten a message from EA saying Bach meant that Battlefield 3 will be getting a “sampler” of the game, in the form of a beta. Therefore, no demo has been confirmed.

You can find our original article below:

Our good friend at DICE, Patrick Bach, has been doing another round of interviews, answering all sort of questions (and handing out a lot of “no comment” answers), this time with Xbox World, where he answered a few of the same questions that have been circulating for a while.

But one question and answer caught our attention in particular: Battlefield 3 will be getting a demo before release. No other details were given, as Bach simply replied “yes” to the question of a demo. We can assume, or at least, hope, the it’ll be a multiplayer demo, much like with Battlefield 2. However, since Battlefield 3 seems to have a potent singleplayer campaign, we might see a singleplayer level or two. Finger crossed :)

1. phemark
    April 20th, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I really dont get why they bother with such unimportant things as demo or singleplayer campaign… People will buy this game and play it ONLY for multiplayer. Period. Its just waste of resources which could be spent improving multiplayer (it will be awesome anyway, but awesome doesnt have limit:)

• Freeman
      April 20th, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I think single player is mostly to satisfy the console crowd and to counter what ever Modern Warfare 3 has to offer.

• Tim
      April 21st, 2011 at 12:44 am

If it’s a multiplayer demo they can use it as a chance to balance weapons and notice network problems before it actually releases.

• baby8mydingo
      August 22nd, 2011 at 7:46 pm

the single player is good for those who have kids and need to pause when ever it is required but yes the multiplayer will be the one that most time is spent on and they should look into making a online only version of battle field where they can incress the detail and size of the multiplayer world and the number of players in it

• ShadowarGET
      October 11th, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I’ve spent countless time playing BF2 and I’m looking forward to single player campaign. So your statement is false.
      Although I think that multiplayer is most important in Battlefiueld games I’m still looking forward to the campaign.

2. Twannie
    April 20th, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Nope. Everyone will play the campaign at least once.
    And they gonna offer this demo to get more customers (“Oh, how great ! ..”)

• SaM
      April 20th, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I doubt that. This isn’t CoD. I’ve never played the Bad Company 2 campaign, and neither have any members in my BC2 clan.

• jonjo
        September 4th, 2011 at 2:55 pm

am i ps3 user and trust me when the psn got hacked recently,the bbc2 single player was a life saver! when you go a month without firing an M16 in someones face the single player offers mild satifaction. and phemark am sure if you spent £40-50 on a game and it had no campaign you would be the first to complain! server down time,hackers and web connection problems are all reasons to have a campaign mode to fall back on.

• ShadowarGET
        October 11th, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Then you’re missing out ^^ Bad Cpmpany series is all about the hilarious campaign ^^

• phemark
      April 21st, 2011 at 9:37 am

Well i will play the campaign once, if its there, just to familiarise myself with everything before going to MP, but as SaM said, not everyone will play it.
      And still, if you play campaign, that max 10h, while in multplayer average player would spend at least 20h (thats the very minimum i can imagine, with others going 100+).
      So why spend precious time on something so little?…

….probably because of consoles and cod, as someone said….

• wisepotato
        April 21st, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I’m pretty sick of people grouping those who use consoles along with people who play cod. I own a console and have never played any of the battlefield campaigns in the past. Yes we get it, the computer is far superior to any console currently available. I, for one, enjoy that I have not had to update my ps3 once in the past 4 years. If anything, you people who play PCs are proving just how both arrogant and ignorant you are for bashing others for using a console. I can assure you that nobody has ever bought battlefield for its single player and those people still won’t. Obviously if there are console players smart enough to purchase battlefield over cod then they are smart enough to know that it won’t matter what is in the single player.

• ShadowarGET
          October 11th, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Screw “elite” PC gamers… ATARI is where it’s all at!

• Redox
        April 22nd, 2011 at 10:50 am

So true Wise. PC gaming reminds me of that quote “I like your christ, but i do not like your christians…”. This is basically how I feel about PC gaming and PC gamers. The platform is awesome but most PC gamers are total shit. They’re favorite word “Consolization” is hilarious. There’s a single word you can use to describe “PC Only” gamers. Jealousy. It really does come down to the fact that most of them are pissed off that they aren’t the prime target for the gaming industry anymore. This isn’t something they are going to get over anytime soon either. It’s tacky and it’s sad they are handling things so badly. Grow up. Realize it’s a good thing that gaming is becoming more accessible and thus more popular. There are still a ton of great games for all platforms. Oh also, I have a year old “Moderate” gaming PC, a 360 and a PS3 so I really have no bias. I think they are all awesome platforms in they’re own way.

3. Kizenco
    May 3rd, 2011 at 6:08 am

Redrox, PC gamers are the prime target for BF3…
    I’m a PS3 gamer myself, but because of BF3 I will get myself a PC that can run this game without any problems at all.
    And for me there is a big difference from PC to console with BF3. And almost just because of one thing. 64 players on PC. :)

• Chris
      June 6th, 2011 at 12:07 am

That’s just douchey. You don’t spend £700 ($1000) on a computer just because of one game, you might as well be burning your money away, if you want to play BF3 on PC, then make sure you get other games for it too otherwise, how will you feel when you think “maan, I wish I spend $60 on the PS3 version instead, that was a waste of 1000 bucks.”

• george
        October 16th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

well i just spent £2500 so i can play bf3 at max settings over three monitors so i guess people do

4. Chris
    June 6th, 2011 at 12:04 am

If BF3 didn’t have a single player campaign, I would never spend more than £25 on it. It’s thanks to the campaign I buy games. Sure I did get Bad Company 2 because someone told me how great the multiplayer was and in fact, I did play the multiplayer before the campaign but if it didn’t have a campaign, I’d be pretty pissed with it. Just because you PC L33Ts think that you’re superior because you’ll spend a couple hundred pounds or dollars on some new hardware, it doesn’t mean you are.

You know what? I’m sure that campaigns aren’t even for console players, Honest to god, I’m pretty sure that they’re for people who like to play a story, and if all PC players think stories are stupid, then that’s just sad. If you think hate it because it’s what Call of Duty has, then that’s also sad. If you think all console players play Call of Duty, again, that’s sad. Anyway, what’s wrong with playing Call of Duty. It’s obviously a good game if it has the amount of sales it gets. Now people are going to bash me for what I said, I don’t like Call of Duty, I think the campaign is boring, spec ops sucks, Multiplayer is riddled with pre-pubescent kids but it does good and you can’t deny that.

I am a console player, I am happy to be a console player, I have my Xbox, I have extra warrenty for when it breaks. I’ve got myself a great multiplayer game with a campaign that I enjoy, honestly, if you’re only going to buy games for the multiplayer, then what’s the point in having a super expensive gaming rig, you’re obviously only going to be living on one game, just stick to that and stop complaining about how everything doesn’t revolve around you. Oh crap, they’re doing this and I don’t want them to do this so now I’m complaining. And guess what genius, two teams, one single player, one multiplayer, oh wait, resourceful time on two teams on multiplayer, because that’s more efficient than not being over-crowded.

I garantuee, there will be people without internet connection buying this game ;) and by garantuee, I absolutely promise you.

5. islamrocks
    June 18th, 2011 at 12:35 pm

i will dowload ps3 and xbox from site and play an not weighst. money on mw3 and bf3 i not liking pc it not get code to play so dowload xbox and ps3 i pirate

6. REDGARB
    July 5th, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Every game needs singleplayer. The companies need to think about that pour soul that dosen’t have an internet connection or can’t afford one, gaming companies need to keep this in mind when making a new game

7. joe
    July 7th, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I played a whole lote of the battlefield bc2 demo. It was great, even though it was only one level. If this one is single player only that will be disappointing but probably better for the devs.

8. bf3
    July 14th, 2011 at 12:27 am

bf3 will be awesome on everything ps3,xbox,PC bf3 is just going to be awesome and dominate.

9. paulos
    July 15th, 2011 at 10:41 pm

You are all wrong you are only talking about the few people who comment from pc perspective, I used to be a hardcore pc player, but I have mates who still our and they are all syked about the singleplayer and how realistic it is. I agree that console is taking over and pc costs a lot to maintain to keep up with the games these days but most of them our people who play single player games like hl and halflife 2, doom 3 and most people I know just can’t wait for that tank mision on single. So its all bull. Sure they are saying the pc version looks much more spectacular, its true. Personally I’m getting the 360 version as now I just own a laptop but, look who cares what those few ppl say u gonna get your version and forget this convo even exsisted.

10. Cory
    July 16th, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I have high hopes for Battlefield 3, and I am really anticipating the demo. The reason I bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 was because of the demo and when I started playing it I didnt want to stop. Battleifled is the only game I know of that has multiplayer that is so realistic. The campeign in Battlefield 2 wasn’t really that fun but the multiplayer made up for it. The campeign for Battlefield 3 looks like its going to be a lot better and a lot more entertaining.
    Battlefield 3 is the only game I would buy just for the multiplayer but any other game I have boughten is because of the campeign. In my opinion, the campeign gives the game and multiplayer more purpose and substance.

11. Ben
    July 28th, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Yea I think without singlePlayer it would make feel kinda incomplete for me. Yea why do pc gamers think you guys are better honestly who gives a shit, if you honestly care then you’ve just proven how much of a no life tool you are

12. Ilikechoco
    August 5th, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I definitely will play the campaign for the achievements and for the sheer fun of it. The bfbc2 was definitely a great story that was quite interesting. Just because you play campaign does not make you stupid or insignificant, they put time into the campaign and it shows. Actually, any true fan of Battlefield should be able to experience and enjoy all aspects of the game, not just one two portions.

13. Eddy
    August 16th, 2011 at 5:02 am

@phemark you can’t assume that nobody plays single player, i wouldn’t buy a game if it didn’t have a single player, and there are probably more gamers who do play the single player than people who don’t. I mean why wouldn’t you play it.

14. Lyke_Stylz
    September 6th, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I can honestly say that i started with COD, and as a 33 year old young man i am just starting to take my gaming seriously as far as what i buy and what i like. The reason i bought BFBC2 is because of all the great things i have been hearing about it. I have only played the campaigns becasue at the time i did not have internet. I fully enjoyed both COD and BFBC, then when i finally signed up for PSN and started playing online i realized i can now hang on to my games and play them as long as i want without having to (1) wait for the new shit to come out next year and (2) pay for some other game that will ONLY hold me down until the next versions of my FPSs come out. The people who are talking shit about those who play consoles only truly are fucking nerd bags with no life. No different then a studio gangsta who talks tough behind closed doors. Oh yea im from the streets of NYC btw. I have my HOTT Fiance and her HOTT girlfriend who actually help me by telling me who is sneaking up behind me as i wait for my next kill, I HAVE A LIVE PC nerd..Dont talk shit about people who have opinions becasue OPINIONS are the blood the run through the game developers veins…We need to RESPECT all opinions no matter what…so go get a life and STOP talking shit about us PS3 AND 360 Folk.

15. james
    October 2nd, 2011 at 10:24 am

i play both pc and ps3 and the single player side of it rocks as a fun way to kill a few hrs. i have played every CoD and Battlefield game to date and will be buying both for their SP and MP sides. all those haters out their should just shut up, if you dont like the games dont play them but you shouldnt try and put them down. they take ages to make and with the level of detail that go’s into each game you should just be grateful that such high quality games even exist!!!

16. Greg
    November 1st, 2011 at 8:08 am

I’m sorry I have an amazing paying job and can afford to buy an AMAZING computer without denting my wallet. I also can afford an Xbox and Ps3 and have all three platforms. I will also get BF3 on all of them, you know why? Because my HOTTER fiance loves to play AND I can afford to. Xbox is full of little kids, Ps3 is just stupid (Convex joysticks) OH WOW…how shit is that? PC is by far superior. Don’t be sad because you can only afford a netbook and a 360.