While DICE has been showing off Battlefield 3 to the press at GDC, and seemingly impressing everyone, most of the demos were centered on the single player portion of the game, however, some interesting bits of news regarding multiplayer were released. We’ve round up everything we know about the multiplayer portion of BF3 — everything that’s confirmed.
- Players: 64 players on PC, 24 players on Xbox 360/PS3.
- No Commander. Commander feature won’t be included, as DICE will focus on “lowering the threshold” for players.
- 4 classes, just like in Bad Company 2. DICE feels this is the sweet spot for the game.
- Battlefield 2 maps, several BF2 maps will return in a DLC called “Back to Karkand”. The maps are: Strike at Karkand, Gulf of Oman, Wake Island and Sharqi Peninsula.
- New squad features. DICE plans to take the squad system to the next level, offering new features. According to the Game Informer interview, DICE says, “We have some really cool things that we’ll show later when it comes to dictating how you play with friends“.
- Weapons and unlocks. BF3 will have more weapons and unlocks than in Bad Company 2, which itself had the most weapons and unlocks of any Battlefield game to date.
- Deeper persistence, rankings. One of the issues with Bad Company 2 was that most of the weapons were unlocked before reaching half of the ranks. Says DICE in the GI interview, “we’re also making sure that there is a reason for you to reach the top rank. It doesn’t just end. There will be a lot of focus on persistence and how we present stuff to the player.”
- Jets will return, so far only the US F18 and Russian Mig 29 have been spotted in various trailers.
- Prone will return, DICE will counter prone will killcam, bullet traces and other ways in order to balance the gameplay.
- Killcam will be back and it will be a feature that can be turned on/off on server to server basis.
- DICE will have more focus on post-release content (DLC)
- Co-op for the single player campaign
- No mod tools at release.
Unconfirmed, but likely
- In-game movie recording is technically possible, but DICE is looking into how to incorporate it into the final product.
- 3 war-theaters: New York, Paris, Tehran, although it is unsure whether this is for the singleplayer campaign, multiplayer, or both.