On December 30th, 2010 in News

During our recent analysis of the new Frostbite 2.0 engine, it became more and more apparent that Windows XP and DirectX 9 weren’t mentioned in any of the technical specs, which made us question whether Battlefield 3 would support Windows XP at all.

Then we found this interesting tweet by DICE developer Johan Andersson:

Frostbite 2 is primarily developed for DX11. XP & DX9 is _not_ supported, 64-bit OS is recommended. Lots of time to upgrade if you havent!

While DICE hasn’t officially dismissed Win XP as a platform, a tweet like than from a Frostbite developer does carry some weight. According to Wikipedia, 44% or so of all PCs out there still use Win XP.

The Steam survey, which samples data from millions of Steam users, shows that 25% of gamers on Steam use Windows XP, a number which has been in steady decline. One things is certain: a lot of people will upgrade their hardware and OS once Battlefield 3 hits the streets, as it was the case with Battlefield 2 5 years ago.

1. Pingback: » RUMOR MILL: Battlefield 3 Won’t Use XP? - Game Stooge: The most up to date gaming and tech news blog on the planet.

2. Pingback: Anonymous

3. Pat
    December 31st, 2010 at 10:57 am

4. Asgaro
    December 31st, 2010 at 11:59 am

Are there any other powerpoints regarding the Frostbite 2.0 engine?
    Aside from those at http://publications.dice.se/

5. Gerard
    December 31st, 2010 at 9:47 pm

“I ain’t upgrading just for one game as the mainstream is DirectX 9 and vista/windows 7.”

False. Both Win 7 and DX10/11 are now the majority. And that lead is only going to get larger.

6. Great Don't
    January 2nd, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Don’t upgrade.. leave all the BF3 goodness for us!

7. Cinquetto
    January 2nd, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I’ll upgrade to Windows 7 when +DX10 have real and daily usage. And that won’t happen till the demise of the current console generation, i.e.: the ballast.
    So, no hurries.

8. overkill
    January 2nd, 2011 at 10:15 pm

com on guys trust me when I say windows 7 64 bit is a beast for gaming. I loved my windows xp and was affraid to change cause to b honest every change so far has been problematic but not this windows 7. OMG Ive had it running for ages now and I have never ever had the need for restoring or anything. You can say it has a mind of it’s own and it keeps it self healthy :) So do change for this game. go windows 7 and enjoy BF3 cause you don’t want to miss out on it believe me. Lots of ppl missed out on BF2 when it was new cause they were too busy playing old crap and guess what? Most of my friends felt terrible about it once they played it and realized it was that good.

9. Pvt.PEN15
    January 14th, 2011 at 9:04 pm

dx 9 sucks balls the graphic content is very limited crysis is like the only real dx 10 game out and u can see how much better that looks over any dx 9 game dx 9 is about to go out of date soon and noone should be making games for it anymore call of duty is dx9 look how shitty that is no destruction or anything in it dx 10 has been out since like 2006 or something when vista come out get up to date guys stop whining

10. Ivan
    February 7th, 2011 at 4:09 pm

• Jordan
      June 22nd, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Windows 7 is definitely the best operating system around and Battlefield 3 is using that which is going to make the game even better. Plus using a 64bit operating system means that you are able to achieve more, I agree that Windows XP was great for its time but now we are on Windows 7 and it is time for an upgrade if you haven’t already. Trust me it’s worth it. So buy Windows 7 today and enjoy Battlefield 3.

11. Pingback: Frostbite 2.0 engine details and video - Battlefield 3

12. Shark
    February 9th, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Ivan
    February 7th, 2011 at 4:09 pm
    “But I have dx 10 KM-software and win XP will it then work (I think it should)?! And I thought they were good guys but now I see that they are just assholes!”

Will not work since it is being strictly developed for Windows 7 / Vista. I think it is a very good move. We need to leave DX9 in the past.

13. ElCaban
    February 23rd, 2011 at 4:17 pm

“According to Wikipedia, 44% or so of all PCs out there still use Win XP.”

Think about it furthur. What’s the percentage of gamers are running Windows 7? It states all PC’s, but it could be a much higher number in terms of gamers, because gamers are the minority. There’s way more PC’s out there being used for work and education other than gaming. So it could be as high as 65 or even 75 percent of PC gamers using Windows 7. Come on people use your effin brain!!! Don’t just get butthurt and write a stupid article. Thank you, come again.

14. %Annonymous%
    February 23rd, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Dx10 support @ss well, or dx11 only?

15. Michael
    February 24th, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Is it really necessary to upgrade to 64 bit version? ;s

16. panda
    March 2nd, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Why do they release an XBOX 360 and PS3 Version?
    360 uses Dx 9.0c (!) and PS 3 Open GL!
    They are such liars. The Engine is NOT based on Dx 11 it is based on the 360 i.e. DirectX 9.0c!
    Why the f*ck are they doing such crap?
    Personally I dont use XP (i got Win7), but it sucks that they say to XP-users: “Screw you! we got better things to do, than develop for you suckers!” (that is the REAL translation)

17. Bill Gates
    March 9th, 2011 at 2:24 pm

@13

Screw XP users. They are living in the stone age.

18. beau
    April 20th, 2011 at 11:49 am

WHY SO LONG FOR BF3? I haven’t been ale to play BF since i upgraded to win7 64 bit 2 yrs ago. IT’S ABOUT FUCKING TIME! XBOX & COD sucks like a crack whore!

19. sam
    April 20th, 2011 at 11:52 am

screw xp and their cheap ass users! buy a new pc fred flintstone. it’s time for 64 bit gaming on win 7 got, damn it! i got 16 gigs of ram and i can’t wait to use it!!!

20. kyle
    April 20th, 2011 at 11:59 am

bf3 for win 7 64 bit? YES! YES! YES! who care if you don’t upgrade to win 7 if you haven’t done it by now you wont! i’ve been running win 7 for 2 or 3 yrs already and i was mad that BF2012 would run on my win 7 rig because of the punkbuster. i have never had to wipe or reinstall my os because it takes care of it’s self.

21. Darkstar
    June 7th, 2011 at 5:30 pm

PC gaming is only getting better and better. As far as Windows XP, it is very stable and is one of Microsoft’s best. But Windows 7 is just as good and the compatibility is there for the most part (waaay better than Vista). Most of the XP users out there I do strongly recommend an upgrade to Windows 7. DX11 is a great step granted you have a DX 11 video card. Games are becoming very cinematic, look at L.A. Noire, it is touted as having movie-like graphics. Also on a side note… WOOOOOOOOOT!!!! BF3, bout freakin time!!!!

22. yona
    October 16th, 2011 at 4:34 am

hello there can i play the bf 3 use window 7 64 crak?

23. dean
    October 26th, 2011 at 12:40 am

XP Pro Vistas sh-t Windows 7 sux balls had all 3 on my computer and as for speed XP pisses on them both if thay wanna give away a free copy of Vista with BF3 or Windows 7 i think alot of people would think about installing it we are not all made of money like thay are i would think about gowing back to maybe Windows 7 or maybe Vista if thay would sort shit out so my sound works both my CD drives work and my printer works as with XP Pro thay all work fine + dont realy wanna go out and spend £168.00 for windows 7 then go pay for BF3 aswell THX

24. insighty
    November 18th, 2011 at 11:18 am

you all kids think that Win7 better because its looking cool then xp? so you worng.
    all the visual effects of windows 7 are making the pc slower,
    on windows xp its running all games, perfect.
    its not about the money its about the comfortability of the user.
    im using Windows XP long time and its best os for me, simple,fast,comfortable.